1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nova Scotia BS Thread

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TacoMitch93, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Nov 7, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    Snowdog95

Snowdog95 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    I havent even drove the white truck since it was lifted lol, been waiting for a gas-tank from rock auto. plus I gotta get some longer rear shocks.

The general grabbers are amazing! awsome road manners, nice and quiet at highway speeds, no vibrations and after 14,500kms (in 2 months..) no odd wear to be found, or even any wear at that matter. Much better than the absolute GARBAGE i got off thetireman... first time using him, last time after all the hassle he put me through to get my money back for tires that he knew were junk.

2. Nov 9, 2018 at 7:38 AM
    ProfHobbit

ProfHobbit Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4WD, 5 SPD, 2.7L, Access Cab, Base
    Minor Stuff
    Hi All. Originally from NB, have been living around Boston for about 15 years now. I am seriously considering a position with a school in Halifax to work for them. Like many fellows who move away from the maritimes in their 20's, and then have their kids elsewhere, I've always had a bit of a mind to move back.

The big questions as my wife (who is an American, lived with me in NB for a couple of years) and I consider this opportunity are:

i) What is a reasonable rent on a 3-bedroom house or apartment around Halifax? I can always take the Taco to work, so outside of the city is not a big deal for me.

ii) We are homeschooling our kids. It's worked out really well, and we'd like to continue. That means that school systems are of less importance to us, but I'm not familiar with NS's regulations on this?

Any help or advice is appreciated. We haven't committed ourselves to anything yet.

D2. likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    Snowdog95

Snowdog95 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    From dirty and grimy
    [​IMG]

To shiny and clean!
    [​IMG]

Got my tank today and will be installing it tomorrow, though i found out upon removing the box that the arch panels are fubar behind the flares so I'm on the hunt for a box now.

its a long road so far, but hopefully I'll at least get to stop for a while soon lol.

4. Nov 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM
    TacoMitch93

TacoMitch93 [OP] Tasty Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    Ben's truck was the same. Must be a common thing! I'll have to take my flares off and see what condition the fenders are in at some point.

5. Nov 10, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma - access cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    Cruise Control install. Intermittent wipers Hood lights Bed Lights Sliders 3" lift 886's on Billy 5100's Icon AAL 285/75 R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's
    Hi!

Reasonable rent for a 3bdr, that's a loaded question, depends on location. I can't tell you what Apartments in "Halifax" are going for ( the actual city ) but I can tell you about the surrounding areas. I've lived in Dartmouth for 15 + years now. In the beginning, I was paying $600/month for a 1 bedroom appartment in what some may call "not the best neighbourhood" when my wife and I were getting married, the same appartment building was offering 2 bedroom appartments for $900, we decided to rent a 3 bedroom 3 floor duplex for $1100 / mo. Roughly 1000 sq ft. we had to pay all our utilities on top of that ( water, oil for heat, electricity ) Then we bought a 3 bedroom house and pay about $1300 /mo. Plus utilities. The house I am in now is about a 15 - 20 min drive to downtown Halifax.

Clayton park is nice to live, but not cheap.
    Sackville is cheaper, but further away from "Halifax"
    Dartmouth is the sweet spot IMO ( but I live here, come to the dark side! we have cookies and IKEA ;) )

Halifax and Dartmouth each have their own shopping sections with all the same big box stores for all the usual things so no really +/- there. All locations have easy access to the highway to get away for the weekend ect...

I guess it depends on how close you want to be to Halifax. You said you work with schools? so will you be traveling to the different schools? I would then recommend perhaps Clayton park, its right off the highway, and pretty close to the Dartmouth bridges if you need to go that way

I'm sure some one else will chime in. I've been in my house for 8 years, so I'm out of touch with the price of rent.

if you have any places you are thinking of ( kijiji.ca is the CND version of craigs list, I'd go there and start browsing apartment / house listings to get price ideas ) just let us know, we can tell you if its decent, or to stay the frig away kinda thing.

sorry if you knew some of this already, I figured it's better to ramble on now, then have to try and back fill later.

so come on up,
    join us for coffee and wheelin
    smoke some of the devils cabbage ( legal across Canada now :canada::rasta:)
    and enjoy the summers

6. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    Canoehead

Canoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB, lots of scratches
    Rearview mirror upside down
    Hi there, I have a few friends who do homeschooling. Let me know if you want me to put you in touch by email or something. While otherwise fine people, they don't drive Tacomas so we probably can't connect you up through TW.

7. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM
    Snowdog95

Snowdog95 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
    3 weeks later I finally get to enjoy the damn thing!
    [​IMG]

Put the old box back on for now until i can get a good one. now comes the easy driving to break the clutch in.

xjros, Hawco636 and Canoehead like this.
  8. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    Canoehead

Canoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB, lots of scratches
    Rearview mirror upside down
    Hey @MoonKnight, where did you order your hidden winch mount from? Direct from US Offroad?

9. Nov 12, 2018 at 3:34 AM
    TacoMitch93

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    I rented a 2 bedroom apartment in Bedford for 905 a month. It was walking distance from the Sobeys at the end of Hammonds planes road. Did't seem like a bad are at all!

I live in Middle Sackville now, I'm roughly 15 minutes away from Burnside, lots of new apartments going up out my way, not sure what rent will be/is.

My sister rents a 2 bedroom apartment on main street. I think she pays 1125 or something. Nice spot, not the BEST neighbourhood, but I've totally been in worse.

"devils cabbage" LOL

Just be sure you're sober when you get behind the wheel ;)

10. Nov 12, 2018 at 4:26 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Thank you, @D2. and @Canoehead and @TacoMitch93 ! I will be writing the school today to see about another round of interviews. It’s a tough choice as this position is temp, part-time. As you say, there are plenty of good schools in the area, but I’m not sure this offer will be able to look after us to get our foot in the door up there. Maybe, but I’ll need to learn more.

Thanks for the housing insights. I grew up way upriver outside Saint John, so being in a city has never been a preference of mine. I think you’re in the right of it to say if you’ve got some essential stores within 20 minutes or so, you’re fine.

Really, you just need an Irving for the Taco and a Timmy’s for the driver, and you’re in the clover.

Thanks again for the insights, guys. I’ve always loved the Halifax area.

TacoMitch93[OP] and Hawco636 like this.
  11. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:50 AM
    TacoMitch93

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Nova Scotia, Canada eh
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5
    "In the clover" haven't heard that before!

Location of the closest timmies in relation to work was a big thing when I was cruising around looking for houses, that and closest NSLC.

ProfHobbit[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 13, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    ProfHobbit

Member:
    North Shore, MA
    Vehicle:
    Minor Stuff
    Thanks again for the insights, guys. I wrote to the school today, and let them know that I don't think we can swing this move for a part-time position. Doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it if a full-time offer were to come my way.

TacoMitch93[OP] likes this.
  13. Nov 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    MoonKnight

MoonKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Oromocto New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2018 silver Tacoma TRD or
    Yeah I bought it right off the us offroad cheaper then buying it else where

If your into stickers they also throw in a few stickers in the box

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  14. Nov 14, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Cruise Control install. Intermittent wipers Hood lights Bed Lights Sliders 3" lift 886's on Billy 5100's Icon AAL 285/75 R16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W's
    make anything that's not scrap yet? :boink::stirthepot:

what lathe did you buy? PICS!

15. Nov 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    ravenlord

ravenlord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Nova Scotia
    The lathe I got is a B2227L busybee lathe. Older model of the current CX708 10x18 lathe. It seems to be an excellent model for me to get started on and to learn. Once I have a little more capital and an insulated garage I am going to look for something a little bigger. I like the look of the PM1236-T or the PM1340GT. Both are made in Taiwan rather than China, and are full featured.

Working on hinges for the tailgate, and new tensioner pulleys for my snowblower. Made a shaft sleeve adapter for my snow blower so I can put my 10hp motor rather than the 30 year old 8hp motor. Made an extension for the floor jack so that I can get the truck up a little higher when needed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YAaftcYDaMrXERk9
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    xjros and Hawco636 like this.
  16. Nov 15, 2018 at 6:09 AM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    how did your appointment go? new frame?

17. Nov 15, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    D2.

D2. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    :drool:

I just thought of something you can make, a tube bending die,
    how big of stock can you fit in there? also, how hard was it to make the V belt pully for the snowblower?

**Edit** I googled the model, I think the chuck can accept 5" diameter stuff correct?

Canoehead likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    ravenlord

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Nova Scotia
    I am pretty much limited to stuff that is 6" in diameter and under. And at 6" I am getting close to the cross slide contacting the chuck jaws. So plenty big enough for most stuff, but I would like a few extra inches. The V-belt pulleys are pretty easy to make, time consuming and sketchy at times because of the stickout. I also now have more cutters and boring bars, so I can actually cut things properly.

As for a frame, I started hunting for more spots on the frame last week. Found a hole in the same spot on the other side of the frame. Then I started to hammer on stuff to see if there were any soft spots. Frame is rusted, but still solid, so I cancelled the appointment and am reapplying undercoating.

19. Nov 17, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    MoonKnight

MoonKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Oromocto New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    2018 silver Tacoma TRD or
    its pretty amazing I off road many times and do some pretty sketchy trails and my windshield survives , drive down one back road highway and some asshole with a asshole vehicle throws a rock at it cracks my windshield then im driving today to my Saturday duty with my heat cranked to dry my gloves hit one little bump ....now I need a new windshield sometime in feb it will have to be replaced the crack followed up into my line of sight

so if any of you have had to replace a windshield where did you get it replaced annnnnd go!

20. Nov 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    ravenlord

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Nova Scotia
    I've had 2 done. One on a Corolla, and it was a mobile guy (I think it was apple) and my Fiesta. Fiesta I think I had done by speedy glass. Both were fine, zero issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top