1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Novice set-up

Discussion in 'Photography' started by backcountryj, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Sep 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM
    backcountryj

backcountryj [OP] Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Hey all,
    I'm hoping to get some guidance on a camera setup (body and lense/s). I'm new to true photography but I've been wanting to dive in for a while. I honesty didn't even know what Mirrorless cameras were until recently. I don't know if I'm better off with a DSLR or a Mirrorless.
    My main goal will be for the personal enjoyment of taking and editing pictures. But if I can eventually generate some revenue that would be great. I'll primarily be shooting landscape, wildlife, indoor/outdoor of people, and would love to eventually get into night scape photography (I guess most anything and everything).
    Any suggestions on what route and where to buy concerning DSLR vs Mirrorless (pros/cons), body, lense/s would be greatly appreciated. I know photography isn't cheap, but I'm hoping to spend less than $750 total. Preferably closer to $500. Also, what if any software is a necessity (photoshop)?
    Thanks for any feedback

2. Sep 23, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    I think in that price range, you could get something like a Canon Rebel T5i with a couple lenses.

My grandma found a really good deal during Christmas time and gifted me the T5i and it came with a short and a longer lense.

The easability of a DSLR is what I would recommend. It's easier to learn and easy for "point and shoot" situations.

If set up right, or even left on Auto, you can shoot some really good photos.

3. Sep 23, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    I have experience with the Rebel line so that would be a good starting point. Although I never like the bulk of the Rebel, and kinda like the more compact nature of the Mirrorless rigs.
    Several online retailers have bundle kits. Anyone have suggestions? Are they worth it or is it better to piece individual parts together.

4. Sep 23, 2016 at 9:41 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Check out B&H. Their prices are great and shipping is quick. I have the Rebel SL1 and love it. It's a small SLR so It's not bulky at all. I have a few different lenses but find myself using my prime 50mm($100ish) and my 24mm($175ish) more than anything.

5. Oct 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    I've narrowed my focus to three different cameras, and would like some input from the collective.

Sony Alpha a6000 (most expensive)
    Nikon D5300
    Canon EOS M3

6. Oct 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    Do you have friends that shoot? I got into Nikon originally because my friend has one and we swap lenses occasionally. me personally I'd go with a DSLR for the availability of lens options, also don't be afraid to by a used camera. Most DSLRs have a shutter count where you can determine the life left in the body most mid range cameras average about 100,000 SCs before they go bad.

A good starter kit
    Photoshop Lightroom (great for editing)
    Tripod (you'll need this for night photography or portraits)
    A good Bag
    Lens brushes and microfiber cloths
    Filters (Circular polarizer and ND)
    i'm sure there's more that I left out.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  7. Oct 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Unfortunately no I don't have any friends or family that have much if any gear to test or swap so I'll be running solo. Lenses availability is something I am weighing in and is a big negative for the M3(the adapter opens options but that's another $100+ accessory). The Sony has more options, while the Nikon clearly has the most options.

I am looking primarily at used/open box/refurbished options. Places like eBay, Adorama, KEH.com Pricing for all three are in the low $400 to low $500 with the d5300 and M3 being the cheapest and the a6000 being the most expensive.
    http://www.adorama.com/inkd5300bk1r.html (cheapest Nikon d5300 I can find other than watching flea bay)
    https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-...55-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-black-lens-24-m-p-52.html (M3 with 10% off good through today)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/201679990150?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (open box Sony on eBay; most used kits I've watched are going for higher $400s to lower $500s)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Oct 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    kevinlambchops

kevinlambchops Well-Known Member

Member:
    I used a t5i for awhile with the kit lens 18-135 and that worked well and taught me a lot for what I needed. If you plan on printing you would definitely need a good lens(and higher mp) for them to turn out nice. Mine were a little blurry around the edges. I would recommend a t5i to start out with but you said you didn't like the bulkiness of them, which is understandable.

From the three you listed above, I would vote for the sony a6300. Sony has been stepping their camera game up and they seem pretty nice. Haven't used one personally, though. If you want to make income such as shooting weddings full frame cameras would do a little bit better than crop sensors, bigger sensor generally have higher resolution, dynamic range, and better low light capabilities. Those types of cameras run ~3k for body, though. Canon 5kMK3 for example.

Lightroom is good to use as well. If you're tech savy you know where you can get it ;) my picture is shot with a t5i and edited with lightroom.

I feel like I'm just rambling on now.. so i'll stop and if you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer. I'm still relatively new with cameras but I know a thing or two :D

Pabloeeto and DustStorm4x4 like this.
  9. Nov 10, 2016 at 9:57 AM
    awfilms

awfilms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    kevinlambchops and DustStorm4x4 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top