1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NST crank pulley caused leak at front main seal... is that possible?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Metallikatz3, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nov 23, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR (on the way)
    I took my truck into the dealership yesterday for an oil leak.. I figured it was the front crank/main seal. The tech confirmed this and wanted to replace the seal, ok normal so far.

Next the service writer tells me that my NST crank pulley caused the leak because there is a groove worn into it where the seal rests and if they reinstall it the leak will continue because it's not making a tight seal.

So I brought them my stock pulley and they re-installed that and no leaks so far. The tech also said that the stock pulleys do get grooves too, but the aluminum NST pulley was worn worse then anything he had seen before.

Does this make any sense?? I had the NST pulley in for about 50k miles.

[​IMG]

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Aluminum is usually a bad metal choice for a seal surface. It's way too soft. On the tranny it's not a seal surface but look at all the problems people are having with throwout bearings.

You using synthetic oil? One other thing too, did you put seal lube on as you where assembling it? It's a really sticky snot like lube for seals. It will protect it long enough for the oil to start lubing it. If you look on the web it seems to be a reoccurring theme with those pulleys. The other one is did you use a brand new seal when you originally assembled it? Reusing seals will make quick work of getting leak started.

3. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    senna

senna Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose CA.
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAB TRD-OR OME shocks 885 and AAL
    Aluminum is not going to last (obviously :eek:), I know for american V8's they make a thin wall stainless sleeve that pressed over the hub to cover the grove.

4. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    I agree with both Trap and senna. Aluminum is a very poor sealing suface for rotational parts.

5. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    Well now I know. That all makes perfect sense to me, I just didn't know that there was a seal that it ran against when I installed it.

I would look into getting it machined with a steel sleeve, but switching back to stock I can't tell any difference in the butt dyno so I don't think its worth the hassle or money.

WorldWar546 likes this.
  6. Nov 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Not steel, Stainless steel or brass.
    So there for you never changed it in the first place. That got the leak started and you are now looking at the end result. I edited my post above. Again Synthetic oil? I'm curious.

7. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:

If you're talking about the seal, no I never changed it, it was the one from the factory. But it did last about 50k miles with the re-used seal which I'll chalk up to pure luck that it didn't start leaking sooner.

And yes I have used castrol syntec for about 2 years except I was using Mobil 1 when I first noticed the leak.

8. Nov 23, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Well you got lucky cause most who forget to change the seal had that problem show up right away.

9. Nov 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    lightnin

lightnin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    west palm beach
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    33'" tires
    happened to me last month but my belt broke and replaced the belt then there was a squeaking noise in the pulley. BIG oil leak. replaced the pulley and front main. there was a groove cut into it too. still have some small leaks. should i replace the rear seal too? Also leaks above the power steering pump anyone else have this problem?

10. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    You can fix this yourself or you can sent to to NST and they will put a steel sleeve on it for free.

11. Nov 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
  12. Nov 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Mine leaked because i reused the seal, it has the grove also but just slightly, Was leaking very very little because every time i checked the dip stick it read full. Replaced the seal myself for $20 and no more leaks. Been good since. I also realized that you need to make sure you have the pulley seated properly and all the way.

To Top