1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NTB quoted me...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jcayce, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    jcayce

jcayce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    $60.00 per tire to swap my tires with 1500 miles to new rims (FJ SE 6 spoke rims on the way). They said it was 20 dollars for the balancing and 40 dollars to 'rebuild' the TPMS sensor when they swap them. New 10 ply/Load E (all they sell) BFG All Terrains were 196 each, not installed.

Do I have sucker plastered across my forehead? I can buy brand new sensors for less than 40 dollars on ebay. They already have the rim off, how difficult is it to pull the sensor and tranplant it?

I'm in San Antonio if someone can recommend a decent/reputable tire shop.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    You might ask them what they mean by "rebuild"? :confused:

3. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yeah, there is no "rebuilding" them.

4. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    jcayce

jcayce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    I called and asked. The same person I spoke to in the store said that if it was the band type TPMS that it would be 80 dollars to transplant, if it was the valve type, they use a rebuild kit with o-rings,etc. Sounds like snake-oil to me. I just want a reputable shop that is not going to dick me around OR mar up the rims. Looking for suggestions.

5. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    ruppmeister

ruppmeister Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad
    Moto Metal Skull 17x9, BFG KM2's 285/70R17, Toytec ULK, LR UCA
    I say hit up tirerack.com for some shops to do the install. I have yet to hear of anyone that has had a problem with this approach.

Good luck.

6. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Your wheels are not old enough to need rebuilding. I swapped mine out at 2 years old and that was a year ago. I still do not have problems. This is the same type of place that also charges you $15 to push the black button and reset the TPMS. All they have to do it take off the old ones and reinstall. I hate shops that try to F%$# people!

7. Nov 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i went to a local place and they charged me $120 to remove the TPMS from my stockers, take tires off the new rims, put the TPMS and new tires on the new rims, and balance the 4 new rims

8. Nov 15, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Discounttire charged me $20 per wheel for all of that. They broke one of my sensors, which I made them replace. Other than that, no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top