1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nuclear Power

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DanGer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hemp can be used to make bio fuels, if it was allowed to be grown in the US. And it is carbon neutral, the plant uses roughly the same amount of CO2 during growth as is expelled when its burnt as fuel.

2. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My biggest issue with all this tree loveing hippy power (wind, solar, burning crickets, whatever), is that Why would someone think that, as a whole, WE have that much influence on the atmosphere??? That last eruption from th ocean emitted MORE polutants into the atmosphere than we could in 1000 years!? In 1 day, the ocean emits more methane into the atmosphere, than we have emitted CO2 in the last 100 years. AND, For our ALL MIGHTY nukes, The last bomb we dropped on Bikini Atol, there is no trace of radiation in the ocean. None. Zip. No 8 eyed fish. Now...not saying it was good. People are still getting sick from radiation, and there may be some running around with a few more legs than they need, but Mother earth has a way of cleaning shit up.

*.....running away from the tree huggers that are SURE to follow and fling poop at me...........*

3. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Illuminaut

Illuminaut life's a conspiracy

Member:
    (Z)ion)o)sphere
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab 4x4 in BSP
    .75" Front Aluminum Billet Spacers = 1.5" Lift ((silly mud flaps removed pending trimming)) AFE Pro Dry S with secondary filter removed 265/70/16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors mounted on Limited Edition Toyota Black Bajas
    Hmmm, I thought we were talking about spent fuel rods being used as weapons of war, not responsible mining.

I'd hate to have to locate, account for, and contain all of the hundreds of tons we've "sprayed" at our foreign targets.

4. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    If Iran had nuclear POWER capability, I would not be scared. The U238 used to power powerplants is not even close to weapons grade Nuclear fuel.

Please don't kill me on this, but didn't the United States help Iran GAIN Atomic Energy in the 1960's or 1970's? I thought Israel went in there and bombed a powerplant to stop this, in the 60's or 70's? I'll keep looking

5. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

Are you a Nuke? I'm applying to be a nuke soon. Don't know if i will get it

6. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

We learned about that recently. The thing with the U238 is, that the enriching facilities that need to be built to enrich it to 90% like weapons grade would have to be massive and easily identifiable. There is so much space that needs to be available that if they went underground it would take a huge amount of time to refine enough for weapons. Not scared one bit. Any nuclear movement for power is fine with me, regardless of what country

7. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Amen!

8. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    I'm probably a half mile from the county landfill (thank God the wind never blows this way). They have this intricate setup of pipes and wells going down into the already covered over areas. They collect all that methane...and burn it with an about 50 foot high enormous torch I can see from my house. We call it "the eternal light" because it is never out, the thing stayed lit through the 70MPH winds we got back in 04 with the rapid fire hurricanes.

I wish I had the money to run a pipe from there to my house, not only would it heat the house, it could be used for a gas dryer, the stove, oven, water heater, there are even air conditioning units that use gas to run.

Such a waste!

9. Mar 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

I'm not trying to get hostile or anything! What exactly are you talking about with spraying our enemies with waste? We have been learning that waste is FAR to valuable to, well, waste. It comes out of the reactors with 90% of the energy still stored in it. France recycles it, and nuclear advocates have been pushing for the US to adopt the same processes (technically called reprocessing). In fact, every time you pay an electric bill, you are paying the tax all utility companies pass on to consumers that is going into a fund to deal with nuclear waste. There is something like $25 billion in it already. With Bush it was like the social security, nothing was happening with it. With Obama he is against nuclear and has the majority leaders and speakers of congress with him. They stopped the yucca mt project, which I actually agree with. We need to use the waste, not condemn it. Or until we do start reprocessing it, we should stockpile it.

10. Mar 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

Or what about flooding valleys for hydropower or painting lanscapes with windmills. In the 60's, the Sierra Club was pro nuclear in order to save valleys in Cali. Their slogan was "Atoms not dams". Within a few years, for political reasons they changed gears and are still anti nuclear.

Oh, and watch out, they are coming to burn your gas guzzleing pick up

11. Mar 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I've heard similar to the "hippy fuel/omg it's pollution" conversations that chris4x4 mentioned, and there's a lot to agree with. More of my concern lies with land usage, such as landfills, large ugly industrial zones, so on. If there's a way to lessen extraneous garbage and keep things nice and foresty (or insert here your natural feature of awesome, whatever that is), then I'm for that.

12. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    *.....pokeing head around corner........realizeing no one is flinging poop......*

:)

13. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Ain't no moped when it's sunny and Prius when it's raining types here!

14. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Good to hear! I had a neighbor who was this big "save the earth" type. He didnt like me very much. :cool:

15. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I say always eat White Castles, capture all your farts in a tank and then burn that for power. :D Hey.. it stimulates the economy :D

16. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    I worked for a place that did its own rework on printed circuit boards long ago. We used this cleaner to get the flux off that worked like majic. One day it disappeared. I asked what happened. Boss said "the EPA says we have to have a license to buy it". I said "I don't care if small birds die from reading the label, if it works I want it!".

I nearly got sent to a Hug Mother Earth seminar for that comment.

17. Mar 20, 2009 at 1:53 AM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    yes i am a nuke...if you got any questions just ask

18. Mar 20, 2009 at 2:51 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    While watching "Naked Science" I heard them say that 1 cubic inch of methane hydrate contains 160 cubic inches of gas. They went on to state that there is twice the amount energy in this form than all other fossil fuels combined. Just food for thought.

19. Mar 20, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Hemp Hemp Hurray

Farts as energy, this job better pay well!!

Methane is one bad dude.

Geothermal hasn't been mentioned and is a great way to heat your house if you live in a cold climate and have the $$ to install.

20. Mar 20, 2009 at 8:48 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

I did a project on geothermal last semester. Interesting indeed. You can convert almost any fossil fuel plant to geothermal by drilling 50 miles into the earth (been done by oil companies), pumping water down and harvesting the steam. Isnt too cost effective and no idea what the impacts are in the earth but its a cool idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top