1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nuclear Power

Discussion in 'Technology' started by DanGer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mar 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    many houses in Klamath Falls Oregon are on geothermal heat. It really brings the bills down, but having those big radiators is annoying.

2. Mar 20, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
  3. Mar 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    First of all, why is it that these days, new technology is considered a "bad" thing? I mean seriously- back in the 1800's most industrial equipment and transport ran on coal and steam. Then came the gas engine. Whoa! running an engine on something besides coal?! Those crazy hippies!!! Its called new technology folks. Its cool.

Secondly, This issue is not just about pollution, which like or not, we do in fact create ourselves along with volcanoes and everything else, but also about national security and costs. China at this very minute is making deals with other oil producers. Once the dollar becomes worth a lot less- which trust me- will happen sooner than later- we are SCREWED because China will have more leverage for oil, thus we will be paying out the ass for the stuff, and we got just a tiny little nip of what that was like this last summer. In addition, that is bound to cause international tensions.

So like it or not, we HAVE to do something besides use oil to fuel our power plants or cars. Calling alternative technology "hippie" technology is the wrong attitude. Sorry.

4. Mar 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    So where is the electric truck?

Givem that little nugget of radiactive material in a marble and put some water on it and make steam to power my new " Nuclear Tacoma" All you engineers get on it!!

5. Mar 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,

I'm in school studying nuclear engineering to do exactly that!

6. Mar 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Unless you're releasing stored energy. I'm not saying you're creating new energy like in a perpetual motion machine. For example, with gasoline, you introduce a small spark that ignites the gasoline, releasing the energy stored in the gasoline. It's an economic winner because the power you get out is greater than the power to create the reaction (I'm not creating new energy, just releasing what's already there).

With fusion reactors, you have to use huge magnetic fields to control and shape the plasma. The power required to control the field and start the reaction is currently greater than the power output of the fusion reactor so it doesn't make economic sense. Instead of trying to make a fusion reactor, you could just power homes with the energy you're using to make the reaction happen and you'll come out ahead. Until that problem gets solved, fusion reactors won't work as an energy source.
    See the section on "Break-Even"
    http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/physics/sobel/Nucphys/fusion.html

7. Mar 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm not saying there are no fusion reactors. I took a tour the Tokomak D-III reactor at General Atomics in San Diego. I'm saying that they're not currently economically viable as a source of energy. According to this article, the Haldron collider currently uses about 200-300 megawatts of power, over twice what the city of Geneva uses.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/sep08/6690

8. Mar 21, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    so if you have any questions relating to nuclear power.. i might know some

9. Mar 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Your statements are misleading.

Longer half life means it is more stable, but that does not mean that it is safer. Granite, itself, is not radioactive. It contains some radio active elements. But so does all living material, due to the carbon in it. Carbon 14 has a half life or 5700 years, but it is of little concern in day to day life because the daughter product is inert nitrogen.

Your comment on containment is also misleading. If you are referring to the containment of uranium munitions, then your simple mitigation measure of covering with soil is a little more difficult than covering a mining operation.

10. Mar 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    How much water do Nuclear plants require? Do they recycle their water? What's this heavy water stuff I've heard of? Fresh water is a very valuable resource, can the water put through nuclear power plants be made drinkable again?

11. Mar 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    It doesn't require fresh water. Here's an IAEA factsheet on using nuclear power for desalination:
    http://www.iaea.org/OurWork/ST/NE/Downloads/NETCFactSheets/ne_tc_fs_06.pdf

12. Mar 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    Admiral Hyman Rickover drank a cup of primary coolant..... it didnt to anything to him... he lived pretty long... heavy water i believe has more Hydrogen? correct me if im worng... but we reuse our water... i would not recommend drinking the water though...

13. Mar 21, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
  14. Mar 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Heavy water is a water molecule (h2 o) that contains one or more of deuterium or tritium (isotopes of hydrogen with atomic weights of 2 and 3 respectively). They weight more because of one or two neutrons being attached to the proton that makes up a hydrogen atom.

Hydrogen, has an atomic weight of 1 and oxygen has an atomic weight of 16. Together, water has a molecular weight of 18. Heavy water has a weight of 17, 18, 19, or 20, depending on the type of hydrogen isotope attached to the oxygen.

15. Mar 21, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:

Not a tree hugger, not slinging shit either... I just want to clarify some of what you have said. Why would you think that we do not have influence on the atmosphere? I am curious as to where your numbers come from. I have not ever seen a reliable source that says more pollutants come out of a single volcanic event than we have produced in 1000 years.

I have seen stats that show that huge amounts of particulates come out of very large volcanic events, but those are typically boosts to the albedo of the atmosphere. But the amounts of sulfer dioxide, CO2 and other compounds are not any where near the total output of humans. And those events can cause measurable change in the atmosphere in the short term. Why would our continual imbalance not have an effect in the long run?

As for the methane in the ocean, there are huge amounts of methane in the ocean and wetlands, no doubt about that. But even though the natural numbers are large, they are in balance. Think of a huge teetertotter. Even though two fat kids are on either side of it, you put a small guy on one end and you can knock it out of balance.

16. Mar 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Any source for that 50 mile number? About 30,000 feet != 50 miles, and that is the deepest I have been able to source.

17. Mar 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    To confirm, this article on an MIT study suggests the current limit of drilling technology is 10km (32K feet) and that it's not enough to simply drill down.
    http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2007/01/8684.ars

18. Mar 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    They have been saying this for years. There are just as many if not more independent Scientist saying that Global warming isn't due to humans. Where are my sources? Well quite honestly I am not going to try to dig through my past to find them for ya. Also, it's Global warming not U.S. warming. What is the point of even getting our dander up if the entire world doesn't follow suit. Global warming studies that say it is our fault is basing it off of man made computer programs models based off of a little over a hundred years of data. Who can say their program models are correct. No one can truly know. Also, we are going to use 100 or so yrs to base our studies off of when the planet has existed for MILLIONS of yrs? How do we know it doesn't go through a 1000 yr cycle... we don't. We can guess through soil samples but it is still just a guess.

When Gore was challenged during a presentation of Global warming, his response was basically ... at the risk of yelling at you I will not respond. Really? that's your answer? Good answer.

Do I think we should find alternative fuel sources, maybe more renewable? Sure I think it is the responsible thing to do. We don't have a limitless supply. But do I think we should put it on the front burner to contribute to a 9 trillion dollar deficit? HELL NO! We can keep going with the way we are and do responsible research and change over time... not within 4 -10 yrs. Also, it should be left to the private industry to champion and be rewarded through tax cuts if they show progress.

Does anyone realize that Cap in Trade is going to raise your taxes, raise your energy bill, and raise the price of every single consumer goods product you buy? Does that sound like an economy booster?

19. Mar 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    A quick google search will give you all the info you need:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1997/of97-262/of97-262.html

The climactic event lasted about 9 hours and erupted over a cubic mile of rock material. It injected a 20- million ton sulfur dioxide cloud into the stratosphere to an altitude of more than 20 miles.

Scientists now know that the "smoke" from volcanoes, once attributed by poets to be from Vulcan's forge, is actually volcanic gas, and an important agent of global change

[SIZE=-1]Large, explosive volcanic eruptions inject water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur dioxide (SO2), hydrogen chloride (HCl), hydrogen fluoride (HF) and ash (pulverized rock and pumice) into the stratosphere to heights of 10-20 miles above the Earth's surface. The most significant impacts from these injections come from the conversion of sulfur dioxide to sulfuric acid (H2SO4), which condenses rapidly in the stratosphere to form fine sulfate aerosols. The aerosols increase the reflection of radiation from the Sun back into space and thus cool the Earth's lower atmosphere or troposphere; however, they also absorb heat radiated up from the Earth, thereby warming the stratosphere. Several eruptions during the past century have caused a decline in the average temperature at the Earth's surface of up to half a degree (Fahrenheit scale) for periods of one to three years. The sulfate aerosols also promote complex chemical reactions on their surfaces that alter chlorine and nitrogen chemical species in the stratosphere. This effect, together with increased stratospheric chlorine levels from chlorofluorocarbon pollution, generates chlorine monoxide (ClO), which destroys ozone (O3). As the aerosols grow and coagulate, they settle down into the upper troposphere where they serve as nuclei for cirrus clouds and further modify the Earth's radiation balance. Most of the hydrogen chloride (HCl) and hydrogen fluoride (HF) are dissolved in water droplets in the eruption cloud and quickly fall to the ground as acid rain. The injected ash also falls rapidly from the stratosphere; most of it is removed within several days to a few weeks. Finally, explosive volcanic eruptions release the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide and thus provide a deep source of carbon for biogeochemical cycles. (figure modified from Richard Turco in American Geophysical Union Special Report: Volcanism and Climate Change, May 1992). [/SIZE]

20. Mar 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have not said anything about economic impacts, nor have I mentioned any political backing for my statements. My only concern at this point in this debate is the statistics that have been mentioned. The science behind the debate is what is important to me. But you have good points. Perhaps after the mystery stats have been founded, we can get into a more political type discussion. :)

And quite frankly, I am not a Gore fan.

I think you will be hard pressed to find more than a few reputable scientific studies that do anything but support the theory of global warming. And yes, it is a theory. There are very few absolute certainties in science. The question more often isn't whether or not it is certain, but rather what is the most likely outcome.

Products Discussed in

To Top