1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nurses, Student Nurses, CNAs, Med Techs? Resource area.

Discussion in 'Health' started by NoMallCrawlTaco, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    FFRNDAN

FFRNDAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    OP, I'm a new RN with my BSN from Kent State University, just graduated last year and started working on the same unit I was a nurse's aide on. You say you're a CNA, is this at a hospital? Some hospitals offer tuition reimbursement programs. For example, where I work, part time, they reimburse 50% of your tuition, Full time is 100% up to a certain amount. I went to school full time and didn't want to work part time hours, mostly because it kept me flexible, as I worked a per-diem float position.

School loans, grants, scholarships are probably your best bet if you would be going down to just your wife's income. I almost got a grant that would pay for tuition, living expenses, gas, food, everything, I guess my essay wasn't quite good enough.

On getting a seat in a school, go talk to people. I was lucky enough that I persuaded the Dean to put me on extra after I was automatically passed up on the first "pick". Basically walked into her office with my resume (which looked awesome), and asked why I didn't get in. She looked over my grades for the pre-reqs, made a phone call and I was in.

Allnurses.com is a great forum, wealth of knowledge there.

Nursing is an awesome profession, its tough, basically the hardest thing ive ever done, but worth it. Don't let the crazy professors get to you, and do everything like its spelled out in the syllabus to a T. Nurses do eat their young. Good luck!

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    NoMallCrawlTaco

NoMallCrawlTaco [OP] © "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!

Member:
    Arizona
    4" Camburgs Icon AAL 3 Pac BLHM Tacoshi Grill More to come...
    joined, allnurses.com
    Plugging away, slowly but surely...
    Thanks for your input.

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Im a trauma tech for my second job in a Denver Hospital. I have several friends that I have gotten jobs but the best way is to call up the hospital recruiters they all have them and they will tell you everything you need to know from what ask to what your cover letter should look like.

4. Apr 12, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I've been in nursing for over 15 years. BSN1995 and MSN2005. I think its gonna be one of the safest work fields to be in for a long time to come. It seems as if 5 years ago the word was "nursing is a graying population" and there is a huge shortage coming. Now programs are bursting with applicants.

When I was working on my graduate degree the tuition was paid for through a rural health grant. You just have to agree to work in a city or county that is designated as rural. I don't know if that would be an option in SW or not.

Good Luck to all....and OR is the only way to go! A good friend of mine is a lieutenant colonel USMC retired and went back to get his BSN and is an experienced OR guru. Keep at it man, you'll get there.

5. Apr 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    NoMallCrawlTaco

NoMallCrawlTaco [OP] © "HELL FUCK YEAH!" © COPYRIGHT FOR MY PROTECTION!

Member:
    Arizona
    4" Camburgs Icon AAL 3 Pac BLHM Tacoshi Grill More to come...
    Yeah, there is a shortage, but here in AZ there is a 2 year wait for the local colleges.

I try not to get discouraged, but with prereqs and the wait...

But I will keep plugging away.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.

I suppose I am just really excited. I really want to be able to give back for all the good that I have had in my life.

Im not rich or anything, but God has blessed me with a good life, family, healthy children, and I really want to share my blessings to help others.

I know that may sound goofy, but If I can help someone and make a difference, then that is what really matters to me.

Kind of like when I join the military

Products Discussed in

To Top