1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nuts and bolts for Firestone Ride Rite airbags

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GreatCanadian, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:38 AM
    GreatCanadian

GreatCanadian [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Just ordered a set of airbags (part number 2407 is the correct part number for my truck I hope - 2014 4x4 SR5 Double Cab Long Box V6 Automatic).

While reading these threads I have come across some suggestions to replace the bolts with stainless steel. I have also read that I should NOT do that because the stainless does not have the strength of the bolts that ship with the airbags. Can anyone clarify this for me? If I need to replace them, then I want to have them before they arrive at my door. Thanks in advance for any replies.

GC

2. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    One bump only!

3. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Personally, I would use what is supplied. I've had issues with SS nuts/bolts backing off and galling.

4. Feb 7, 2015 at 7:30 AM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Is the issue with the supplied ones strength or rust?

5. Feb 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Exactly.

Stainless used on many of these kits and other kits like them are junk. They are usually grade 2 or less. Even with anti-seize they will gall. Anything I would use on suspension would be a minimum grade 5.

my .002

6. Feb 8, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    GreatCanadian

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 V6
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

GC

7. May 22, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Denver Mike

Denver Mike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I just road with my trailer on the back of my 2015 Tacoma for the first time, with my newly installed Firestone Airbags inflated to 40psi. The ride feels bouncy (up and down). Does that mean they are over or under inflated? The trailer is 2600 pounds, and I inflated until both truck and trailer looked level.

What the manual says is, “As a general rule, the air helper springs will support approximately 50 lbs. of load for each psi of inflation pressure (per pair). For example, 50 psi of inflation pressure will support a load of 2500 lbs. per pair of air helper springs. FOR BEST RIDE use only enough air pressure in the air helper springs to level the vehicle when viewed from the side (from to rear). This amount will vary depending on the load, location of load, condition of existing suspension and personal preference.”

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  8. May 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    When I installed my air bags I used the supplied bolts but replaced the nuts. Make the install a lot easier.

9. May 22, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    I haven't hauled anything that heavy but hauling my lighter loads (mower and boat) I would hook up the trailer and add air to leave the truck. Only took about 20-25 psi and I noticed the bouncy I experienced before the airbags was a lot less noticeable. Maybe just play with the air pressure a little bit and see if it makes a difference.

10. May 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    What type of trailer? Could be a number of things, but airing up to 40psi to tow a 2600lb trailer seems extreme. You only need to compensate for the tongue weight which shouldn't be more than about 10% of total trailer weight...so maybe 250# or so of Tongue weight. If you have way too much tongue weight you might be airing the bags up to where they don't move much which will make things choppy feeling. Also if you don't have enough tongue weight you can get the trailer causing weird feelings also. If it is a travel trailer you might check the tongue weight. If it is light, move weight forward. If it is heavy get an equalizing hitch set up.

11. May 23, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    Denver Mike

Denver Mike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    The trailer is a 2014 Jayco Baja. How do I measure the tongue weight? I did get advice from one other person who thought my psi was also too high. I'll bring it down and see if it rides better. I also need to load it with a tank of water, and our camping gear. I got delayed by a flat tire on the Tacoma! A razor blade.

12. May 24, 2015 at 6:19 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I had Ride Rites in my 06 for 100k, I typically had 5 psi in them all the time. On occasion I went to 15 if I was hauling heavy, I couldn't imagine the horrible spine shattering ride at 40 psi.

I used the stock bolts and never had an issue. It's not like you"ll ever remove them, you had to cut off your snubberrs to install them. Also the main load carrying bolt was a large fine threaded bolt and I seem to recall that it was grade 8. You'll never get that strength out of a stainless bolt. I never had a problem with the stock bolts getting so rusty that I would worry about them not coming off if I needed to remove them. Me personally, I'd install the stock parts and not worry about it.

I had to leave them on my 06 when I traded it in. I told the dealer that if they had to remove them for a prospective customer that I would buy them back. My new Tacoma is a Sport and surprisingly I have never once bottomed it out, even when hauling the exact same loads that caused me to but Ride Rites in the first place.

13. Jun 2, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    Denver Mike

Denver Mike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    I just completed a 1400 mile trip using the Ride Rites to boost the back end with my trailer in tow. Only after I took off the trailer at the end of the trip did I check the air pressure - which had lost 20 lbs. I initially was hauling with 30 lbs, and when last checked it was 11 lbs. Do I have a leak?

14. Jun 3, 2015 at 1:35 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    When you read 30 psi was the trailer connected and read 11 psi disconnected? If so, when you disconnected the trailer you unloaded the weight on the air bags this will cause the pressure will drop.

15. Jun 3, 2015 at 5:16 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I'm guessing you're on stock shocks. Mine felt the same and only got worse (quickly) with time. After about 10K miles it was really annoying. I put on OME N182s and now the ride is great. I carry quite a bit of weight at all times and the bags are always at 30 - 35psi on road and off road.

I'd suggest a good pair of shocks.

OP, I used the supplied hardware.

Products Discussed in

To Top