1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NW WA Meet / BS Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Benson X, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_lumberjack_jargon

Crummy: any company vehicle (or railroad car) taking loggers to the worksite.

Basically it's a company truck, not his personal vehicle that is used to carry work tools and off-road diesel to refuel equipment.

He hit one of the logger's pickups. Both trucks had damage to the front corner. They were swapping insurance info when we drove by. Can't say who was in the wrong, but for all I know he coulda been gawking off the side of the road looking for animals and was right in the middle of the road on a corner and met the logger. Was at 9:30ish this morning. Either way if you're able to hear or call out location on the cb, you'd be more aware of danger coming at you.

We'll have to get together one of these weekends and I'll show you around out there.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Adude likes this.
  2. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    I've got a set of these in production and should get a shipping notification any day now. I'm eagerly dreading the removal of the rivets. It seems like an easy task, but from all accounts, it's a huge PITA.

I'm planning on grinding and drilling. Might make use of a ball joint press, but not sure.

When are you and @JimSnell tackling these? I'd be curious to hear how it goes. What type of heat are you using? Plasma? Oxy acetylene? Bic Lighter? Getting excessive heat on the frame makes me nervous (not sure why).

3. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    JimSnell

JimSnell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Puyallup
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    The more the merrier. I do it oxy-acetelyne because I'm able to control the heat really precisely. Like, after the rivet is out of the hole you can touch your hand to the frame. Briefly. I'd say it stays under 175 degrees, and the paint doesn't even get baked at that point. We could probably do all 3 trucks in 3 or 4 hours.

4. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    Adude

Adude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pnw
    Vehicle:
    04 Double cab
    Throw me in on that as well. Sunday's are always decent in my mind cause not alot of crews working.

5. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:03 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    Yeah I don't know of many if any that work on the weekends. If they do, it's just to get ahead of the trucks come Monday morning so there's processed logs to load out at the ass crack of dawn. They're at the landing by 4:40am getting loaded to be at the mill just before or right when they open to maximize their daily loads hauled within mill operating hours.

Do you have a permit? I know @JDAM just bought his. In the past if I got up in my personal truck I throw in my hard hat and a grease gun with some tools so I can say the boss sent me up to maintenance some equipment as an excuse. Even the boss told me that one. Can probably throw an extra hard hat in. :D:anonymous:

I haven't bought a pass this year yet. The shitty thing is that the only recreational access is via the county north fork road, and that road it's fuuuuccckkked up. I enter the mainline contractor key which is good at all/most perimeter gates. Pretty much from Snoqualmie to highway 2 near index, also Monroe and Carnation/Stillwater.

6. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    Adude

Adude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pnw
    Vehicle:
    04 Double cab
    I did not apply yet, I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I have a hard hat and welding hood, mobile welding as a favor.. :)

bobsuruncle[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Yeah at this late in the year, it would be for hunting, it's better to purchase in Feb/March to get a whole years worth of use out of it. The price is still the same even if you're only going to get 3 or 4 months of use out of it.

Adude[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    ahh when you said close call I envisioned someone veering off the road to avoid a collision. Ya when you sign the waiver it says you are responsible for any damage you do to land, equipment, or yourself. The guy I buy firewood from owns a logging company and he said there used to be no gates up there. But then everyone was ditching broken vehicles and appliances and shit. And homeless people were up there. Kind of lucky they let anyone up there at all.

Vehicle passes are sold out. There were 54 when I bought mine. If it doesn't work out I'll have to use my firewood tags to recover costs.

bobsuruncle[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 19, 2019 at 6:52 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Well sounds like I'll be greasing and working on equipment then.

Yeah it was getting bad in the late 90's to where they put the gates up. Nimby's, spotted owl/anti logging activists, along with the dumping and frequently reappearing abandoned campers that where used as meth labs became more costly to deal with vs installing gates. IIRC North bend was once considered the meth capitol of the country. You could find empty containers from under the kitchen sink chemicals that they used to cook drugs with scattered on most forrest roads on the I90 corridor with a beat to shit camper usually at the end. Or stripped out, burnt up and shot to shit stolen vehicles.

Lost In The Woods likes this.
  10. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:08 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    If i had A long gun I’d say save me a seat. But i don’t...yet

11. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:17 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    sounds like Tinkham!

I'm going to start exploring this weekend. And grouse is open. What's the CB channel?

12. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    JimSnell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Puyallup
    Vehicle:
    It's usually marked. I just put mine on scan, and then pay attention to which channel gets hit a lot. When trucks are calling out a road the channel gets pretty busy, so it's hard to miss.

13. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Bertw192

Bertw192 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    All the things!
    I'll check on with y'all when my hangers come in. Might have to take you up on the offer. Do you take $ or alchohol for your services?

14. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Each main spur road off the mainline has its own designated channel which is usually posted at the beginning and repeated periodically and also mile markers in 1/2mile increments. Mainline is 14, if you go in the gate on the left side of the county road, and spur 10, the gate on the right side is channel 20. IMO they need to fix their cb channel assigned to spur 10 as just after the 1 mile the road forks 3 ways, one to Black Creek, one to lake Hancock and the other to lake caligan/back up to the county road at Wagner bridge. They have those 3 forks all running channel 20 which gets confusing when you have trucks inbound and outbound loaded and unloaded on this road or that road. Any further rds that spur off from main spurs don't have a channel change as they don't go anywhere, except for an old landing or other use when it was logged. The mainline is ~28ish miles from gate 1 to the proctor Creek gate.

Along with th cb channel sign there's usually a road number sign that has the number shown on the map they should have included with your permit packet. We have a map of the tree farm in GPS PDF format so even when you don't have service, you can see where you are or where you need to go. I need to get a copy of it. When I do I'll let you know.

The paper map, or at least the one I received with my permit, was outdated and somewhat incorrect. It still showed roads as continuing through where now some have been abandoned and dug up just shy of where you wanted to go or loop around. Lots of bypasses and cuttoffs we used to run around on have been eliminated but are still shown as complete roads on the map.

15. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    JimSnell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Puyallup
    Vehicle:
    I prefer both. :oldglory:

twalchlii1 likes this.
  16. Sep 19, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    fuck ya that's a ton of good info thanks! I did get a nice glossy large map in the packet. GPS file would be great.

17. Sep 19, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    Oh yeah.... @Usethe2nd :luvya:

It may not win a beauty contest, but it's air tight and round. It ain't a grand piano, it's just gotta get the air into the intake. :D

I might try another revision now that I know a thing or 2 and try it a bit differently than what I did with this one.

IMG_20190919_182546.jpg

18. Sep 19, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    SaphiraTaco

SaphiraTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    About halfway done...
    Hey buddy, I’m scheduled to help @White lightning boosted with his front differential on Sunday. But I just bought a 10x20 cover (f the rain) so you are more than welcome to drop by. How many seats are you covering? I don’t have any tools (for seat upholstery) but happy to help!

134A95CC-B3A0-4B82-8D16-2F1B54FD3081.jpg

19. Sep 19, 2019 at 10:22 PM
    PNW/TRD Steve

PNW/TRD Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD
    ImMrYo Rear view mirror lift bracket. Changed out mud flaps. Salex glove box organizer. OEM Ashtray (cup). AVS Step Shields. 16x8 SCS F5 Matte Jet Black. 265/75 16 Cooper St Maxx. OME Bp-51s. U.S. Offroad Winch Mount (in process) Smittybuilt x20 12k synthetic winch (in process) More....
    Doesn't look too bad to me. Out of curiosity, what is the length of that Bob? Is it 13 inches or less?

20. Sep 19, 2019 at 10:24 PM
    bobsuruncle

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    It's looking like 13-13&1/4 depending on where I hold the tape.

Products Discussed in

To Top