1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NW WA Meet / BS Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Benson X, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM
    Usethe2nd

Usethe2nd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal
    Anyone got anything going on this Sunday? I’ve been wanting to get into some snow

ready6delta and longhairedhippy like this.
  2. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:32 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    I wouldn't mind getting out.

ready6delta and longhairedhippy like this.
  3. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    longhairedhippy

longhairedhippy I never go full redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD OR SB
    Bunch of stuff bolted on, some cool, some not
    I was up on Johnson Ridge near Skykomish this weekend, it was a blast!

snow-pic.jpg

EDIT: Oops, I lied, that pick was here: 47.77633, -121.26708
    I would also be down to go out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    Stick to your guns

Stick to your guns Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bronson
    Lake Stevens
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black DCSB TRD off road
    Bilstean 6112, progessive AAL, method NV 17X8.5, Falken wildpeak AT3 285/70R17, Hooke Road rack, Spyder headlights, mesh grille, BAMF hybrid bumper.
    I'm down to head out somewhere

longhairedhippy likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    Stick to your guns

Stick to your guns Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bronson
    Lake Stevens
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black DCSB TRD off road
    Bilstean 6112, progessive AAL, method NV 17X8.5, Falken wildpeak AT3 285/70R17, Hooke Road rack, Spyder headlights, mesh grille, BAMF hybrid bumper.
    have you ever gone out the beckler river road that almost makes it to index but is washed out? I couldn't believe there was houses that deep

6. Dec 7, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    longhairedhippy

longhairedhippy I never go full redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD OR SB
    Bunch of stuff bolted on, some cool, some not
    It was my first time up in that area, I've camped south of US-2 in that area a few times at the campground, Beckler River Road was next on my list. I went down Johnson Creek and Rapid River but I was lazy and didn't get out there until almost noon so I only had 3-ish hours of daylight before I got worried about potentially digging/walking out in the dark since I was alone.

I love camping in the forest in that area though, with the river noise in the background, I go to sleep almost instantly.

7. Dec 7, 2020 at 10:09 PM
    SilverYeti

SilverYeti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Pelfreybilt sliders ARB bumper WARN winch
    T-Case thread focuses more on the particular builds so curious on experience with RST themselves.

So not sure what all goes into remanufacturing and welding up a shift rod for the transfer cases from Rock Solid Toys but labor was about $1500 for that. So about $3,000 out the door with the ADD harness, shift boot leather, rear locker mod and the transfer case. I had wanted twin sticks but he had mentioned it will make the swap more difficult if I go that route. Not too different than the cost of fixing the electronic system though so weighing my decisions.

Has anyone gotten the t-case from RST? What was your experience, saw a vendor thread with some bad experiences but it may have been circumstantial. Struggling to decide if I am ready for that mod yet as I had been contemplating other options for wheeling so haven’t fully decided yet. He does have one in stock but I still have heard that taking months.

8. Dec 8, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    Man dont go through him. One, u might not get all the parts if you even get ahold of him.
    I paid 250 for my tcase, the switch for add cost 10 bucks, the relay for the locker mod was less than 10. The wiring wasn’t that expensive. Getting the shifter in the right spot is the hardest. If you know someone that can weld and has time will help. The whole process ain’t hard and shouldn’t cost anywhere near $3k. And the resources documenting the swap can be found online and isn’t too hard to find.

9. Dec 8, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    Usethe2nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal

This, $3,000 is about $2500 more than my FJ swap cost, all the stuff you can DIY if you're semi-capable in the shop. The " hardest" part on an auto swap is the wiring, now with the wiring kit they offer that's a non-issue.

Start searching CL/ offer up for an automatic transmission t-case, pick up a set of FROR twin sticks and the RST wiring kit, all of this should be around $6-700. Set aside a day for the swap.

10. Dec 8, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    wrmathis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    I got my case from car-part.com.

hell I got a set of twin sticks to sale.

11. Dec 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    SilverYeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone. I thought the cost seemed a bit outrageous but everyone got to make a living. I have checked Craigslist but no luck so far, have seen some on car-part so maybe need to dig a bit deeper in those sources. I will probably look at just sourcing the parts myself. I know there are a few people trying to make a few extra bucks welding smaller projects for the holidays. I am still undecided on twin-stick vs. j-shift if it is truly going to make the job more difficult.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  12. Dec 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    wrmathis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    A couple between 250 and 300 around Seattle.

D70DE29D-23A3-42ED-BC35-5494EA064881.jpg

SilverYeti[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 8, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    Would anyone be interested in buying a RTMR aux fuse box similar to this?

I ordered it thinking I would build one up for my TWSS recipient but after it shipped I realized that I didn't stalk quite far enough and he already got one. I figure before I send it back I could see if anyone local is interested since I have the tools and most of the contacts and seals to get it all put together along with some weatherpack connectors to finish it off.

If anyone is interested we can come up with a plan of what you want to accomplish with the panel and build it to meet your needs or just put it together with some basic provisions that you can adapt as needed later on, your choice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dec 8, 2020 at 12:43 PM
    Usethe2nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fall city
    Welded metal

All you have to do is split the case, pull the selector rods and grind down one of the stops. Some people have done it without splitting the case(wouldn’t recommend due to a lot of shavings)

15. Dec 8, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    wrmathis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    i know one of the people that did that ended up fucking their case up and doesnt recommend that. I was twin sticked on previous fj case which i still have but it was leaking cuz rtv got down into the threads for the mounting holes for the shifter an when i tightened down i blew out the side so it leaks a little. when i put the new case in, i didnt twin stick. with crawl box their really isnt a point because i have 2 lo with the crawl box

longhairedhippy likes this.
  16. Dec 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    SilverYeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Yeah he had mentioned this being one of the only benefits of going twin-sticks, but with the added complexity of the job (more cutting/fitting) I am now wondering if that make sense. It does have a cool factor involved with it for sure, but it may not be practical. For me its just a deciding factor if I am keeping the rig until the wheels fall off or not, if I am going to keep it forever I probably want to go for the FJ case (and am going to start collecting parts here). Though, I haven't decided on twin versus j-shift, I am still reading the above thread that does talk about that portion quite a bit.

longhairedhippy and Shadowhunter like this.
  17. Dec 8, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    wrmathis

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    you got an auto or manual? also, technically with a j shift and a switch for the ADD, you can have 2lo also. its similar to manual hubs. if they aint locked in, then your front wont have power.

if you have an auto, i wouldnt worry about 2lo. only reason IMO to have 2lo is for reverse and with the manual, our reverse gear is kinda garbage so having 2lo is useful

longhairedhippy and TimberTiger like this.
  18. Dec 8, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    SilverYeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    That’s a fair point with the ADD switch. Yeah I figured that was the main reason you guys wanted it only other thing I could think of is for the trailer but can probably survive without it. I do have an automatic transmission so more of a reason to stick with a j-shift I think.

19. Dec 8, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    1E024FEC-BAE0-4FF3-9285-83989A3721DF.jpg I guess the first step to building a crawl box would be drag one out from under the bench and go out in the bone yard and kick the blackberries off the old junk. I think it’s going to be a slow ass build as Marlin releases the parts and pieces. Gotta start somewhere.C33A3E3A-493E-42BB-B3DD-1926E0A98227.jpg

20. Dec 8, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    haha...squirt....haven't seen that in years

Products Discussed in

To Top