1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NW WA Meet / BS Thread

Discussion in 'North West' started by Benson X, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2021 at 8:29 PM
    BoatRacer

BoatRacer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    All Pro front bumper, Warn winch, leds, Dakar leaf pack, locker wire mod.
    Coming home over the pass from Cle Elum a couple weeks ago, I was in 4 wheel drive on the highway with rain/patchy ice conditions and the transfer case started binding and grinding hard. Large bang before I could take it out. Once home I tried in the driveway and it’s locked up! Never had this happen before, but it’s the first time I’ve used 4 wheel drive since swapping to 4.88’s and a Detroit in the front. I should have been smarter than to run it at 70 down the freeway.

Bigheadtinyarms likes this.
  2. Feb 3, 2021 at 8:47 PM
    SilverYeti

SilverYeti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Pelfreybilt sliders ARB bumper WARN winch
    Certainly there are differences between the 1st and 2nd gen but what’s the system state now? Stuck in 4wd, blinking light? Saw a first gen thread talking about vacuum to the front ADD. In my situation it had all been electrical more or less and mostly mechanical components were fine after re-timing all the actuators. You can also apply direct power to all the actuators at 1/2 pins to test but you don’t want to drive them over their valid positions. You can also test the t case actuator sensors, cab switch diodes with diode test, and separately electrical connectors from the wiring harness with an ohmeter I think they should run 12-14v. All the threads I have are relating to the 2nd gen or I would share them as well.

All this was just last month or so of troubleshooting my own system. Most common is the front ADD it seems as a failure component but the cab switch, vacuum line correction, and sensors are cheaper fixes.

You will here your t-case actuator actuating if it’s not toast if you aren’t hearing it and think it is you can double check it with that direct 12v if it’s taking power it’s just out of timing id guess the problem is elsewhere. Seems it’s generally best to start a thread on this since there’s so many avenues it goes down.

3. Feb 5, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    BoatRacer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    Thank you for your time in responding! I don’t believe it’s an actuator issue. It will engage and disengage fine with the button push, but bangs and binds up at the slightest roll of the truck. It ran down the freeway great for probably 30 miles before it had an issue and I’ve ran it countless miles at freeway speeds in the past when it’s been snow and ice conditions. I figure the transfer case was either beginning to fail or there’s something not right with the new gear/locker combo. Although, I don’t know what that issue might be? I’m waiting to have replacement parts before tearing it apart though and now considering some upgrades possibly.

4. Feb 5, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    SilverYeti

SilverYeti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Pelfreybilt sliders ARB bumper WARN winch
    @Shadowhunter recently re-geared up front and I think you could check with him for any insight on orientation and such. As far as I know he hasn’t had any issues yet. Hmmm that is odd, I think digging I have seen broken actuator arms. In your case easiest check may just be to drain a bit of fluid and discover it quick.

Actually I happened to take mine to Toyota for a troubleshoot during all this and they had mentioned even when you’re certain it’s the actuator. Drain the t-case fluid as they have replaced peoples actuators but it was actually the transfer case. Good luck on it I hope it’s one of the cheaper components rather than the whole t-case.

ready6delta likes this.
  5. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:59 AM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    That’s good advice one draining the fluids. If it’s an 02’ a TC probably isn’t too bad in price to buy and its way easier to replace than a front end.

6. Feb 7, 2021 at 9:32 AM
    BoatRacer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    I need to remove it, looks like a broken t-case chain.

7. Feb 7, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    vecdran

vecdran Barely-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Super White 6MT
    Financial Black Hole
    Just installed RCI Offroad aluminum transmission and transfer case skids on the truck. Good news, the transfer case crossmember is 100% compatible with BAMF sliders.

I know everyone said "STEEL!" last time I asked about advice on skids...but I just couldn't justify the weight for a daily driver. I'm really trying hard to keep it down, since I still want to add roof racks and a hidden winch mount, and I really don't want to have to replace the Fox suspension. I also don't really wheel hard, this is more for "oopsie" protection when I'm going down a forestry road.

I did have to request an additional hardware pack to get it to work with the OEM front skid, and I lost about an inch or so of clearance there, but small price to pay for the additional protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    bobsuruncle and Tacodog like this.
  8. Feb 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

WrecklessAbandon They call me skippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    Nice re-route. I need to get mine don't so I can finally put my TC skid on

9. Feb 7, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    vecdran

vecdran Barely-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Super White 6MT
    Financial Black Hole
    The guy who did mine did a fantastic job. Unfortunately he moved on from side-project welding shortly after I had mine done, so I consider myself lucky.

TIG welded 2.5" 304 stainless. No kill like overkill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    PacNW_Taco, BoatRacer, rlx02 and 2 others like this.
  10. Feb 7, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    ninernation

ninernation Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    TRDOR
    OME, ALUCAB, RCI
    Been totally happy with my rci aluminum skid. Banged pretty hard a couple times in Moab and held up well. I'd go steel if it was a dedicated rock crawling rig but it isnt

vecdran likes this.
  11. Feb 7, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
    I just asked my bud in Yelm if he has a spare transfer case for 1st gen like mine.

BoatRacer[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 7, 2021 at 9:41 PM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    I was gonna suggest the possibility of the chain had broke and wadded up in there.

BoatRacer[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 8, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    bobsuruncle

bobsuruncle I void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    back back to Fall City Fall City, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR DCSB
    ARB bull bumper, warn 9000 with synthetic rope, icon CO's & 700lb coils, road armor rear bumper, dakars + Archive Garage shackle flip.
    WrecklessAbandon likes this.
  14. Feb 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    WrecklessAbandon

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    Maybe 3 inches. Starting to melt though.

bobsuruncle[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    JDAM

JDAM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Worshington
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm hoping for enough snow to sled dead mans hill before spring

16. Feb 8, 2021 at 5:10 PM
    BoatRacer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Olalla WA
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 3.4 5-Speed
    Thank you

17. Feb 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM
    Yetimetchkangmi

Yetimetchkangmi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Newcastle, WA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4x4 The Yeti
    ARB front locker, Custom high clearance rear bumper, Custom plate front bumper, mile marker winch PE8, safari snorkel, Deck Plate Mod Fox 2.5 rr DSC, Camburg UCA, squeaky Dakar leafs, 5125 10" and custom 7.5" shackles, thee finest PNW pinstripes, MT-R, Nissan crew cab roof rack??? wtf is that about??? Allpro skids, Rigid duallys President McKinley CB with PA Recaro SRD with Wedge Engineering Morimoto retrofits Champion Rad - Failed Tundra brakes
    He said he has one. DM me and I'll pass your contact info to him

18. Feb 8, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    PacNW_Taco

PacNW_Taco Get lost.

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black DCSB OR
    Peachy Peach air fesheners
    Quick question - I know nothing about welding... At the knuckle, where the manifold connect is, why so many welds? Is it too difficult to shape a piece of pipe at that angle?

Again, just genuinely curious. :anonymous:

19. Feb 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM
    WrecklessAbandon

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Olympia, WA
    Crocs with socks
    I think it is done as a substitute for bending pipe if you don't have the means to do so. And it looks cool.

Reminds me of how high end titanium systems are built

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    PugetSoundTaco likes this.
  20. Feb 8, 2021 at 9:49 PM
    Wyckedan

Wyckedan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Woodinville WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Stormtrooper AC 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s.
    1 fully operational Death Star
    Looks like a compound bend to me. Also a serious flex on the welding skills

Products Discussed in

To Top