1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

O2 sensor replaced and now truck runs bad

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Thelumberwagon, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Aug 30, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    Thelumberwagon

Thelumberwagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been checking the MPG and I'm getting around 19 MPG which I thought was pretty good considering the CEL is on. I just ordered an O2 sim from URD so we'll see what that does for me. I'd like to keep it catalytic conv free since in KS we don't have smog checks.

I'm hoping I'll see an increase in MPG once the truck thinks it's running right. Well, actually it runs great but I do think it's running a bit rich.

Forgot to mention that I replaced the charcoal canister and got all my lines hooked back up. It had no effect on the CEL, thus the URD sim. I did however discover that someone had removed the fuel tank at some point and got the evap lines mixed up. How do I know this? Well.....when you add vacuum to the return line through the canister, it manages to essentially siphon fuel from the tank and fill the canister. I managed to find out the hard way when it died in an intersection and fuel was pouring out of the fram from the vent tube from the canister. Talk about a puzzling experience!!! But a quick twist to loosen the fuel cap temporarily solved the problem allowing me to make it home. That's when I traced all fuel lines and compared them to the diagrams. All is well now.

Phew....that was a close call!

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    19 is good! Im still only getting 16-17 and I have done a lot of maintenance to mine with no CEL!

3. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    Thelumberwagon

Thelumberwagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe it's because it doesn't have a cat, maybe it's my good looks. It's anybody's guess but I'd put my money on the good looks. :jerkoff:

I should be getting my gizmo from URD today or tomorrow. With any luck I'll be able to draw this thread to a close.

Don't worry though, I'm sure I can find something to ramble about.

Products Discussed in

To Top