1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA - On board air - need help please

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by tony92629, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    tony92629

tony92629 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma Prerunner
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    Been doing a lot of research on an OBA lately. It seems to lead me back to the Viair 450s with a 2.5 gallon tank. I looked at the Powertank and other CO2 systems - The closest CO2 filling station is over 30 miles away.

The other option was a portable system - Did you pack it? I thought you packed it - Seems to go in and out of the truck all the time due to space restraints. And I never have it in the truck when I need it.

Compressor location is an issue - The most utilized location besides the engine compartment is underneath the cubby in the bed (second Generation) and run the bulkhead and quick release through the cubby.

I also heard that its not a good idea to run the compressor in the engine compartment do to heat - Not sure why if its not used when you are driving?

It is looking like the best location for the compressor - besides the engine compartment is underneath the cubby in the bed (second Generation) and run the bulkhead and quick release through the cubby.

I am considering having a bulkhead/quick release somewhere in the front of the vehicle (Where the lights are in case it is dark) ...anyone installed an outlet there? Has anyone mounted a tank on the frame on the drivers side?

I spoke with Out Law, Rebel and 4 Wheel. Out Law pushed the Power Tank system - Really tried to discourage me from putting in a permanent OBA. Rebel was the most helpful in trying to figure out a solution - Toyota's do not have a lot of space - and install location and routing was a huge issue - quoted $750 to $850 for the Viair 450c with tank (complete system).

4 wheel parts (Santa Ana) quoted $399 for the 450c and $400.00 for labor. They said they quoted a discount on labor - its normally $700 to install this type of system.

The $399 price seems about right for a good 100% duty or CO2 system. But the labor is the killer.

My goal was to be able to fill up river toys, fill tires, run light air tools, blower - and just add it as a "Nice to have handy" on camping trips. - Not running hard core air tools or sealing beads on tires.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Holy Jim entrance on Saturday - Day before Easter...how appropriate:

[​IMG]

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    If you go with an air compressor and tank. Do a dual compressor system. I have 2.0 gallon tank and 1 Viair 350C compressor. I has no problems filling up 2 trucks (even at 7,000'), but its not super fast. Last time it took me probably 30 min for 3 trucks from 20-35 psi (mine are 33" and the other guy's are 32s). I mounted my tank right above the muffler in the front of the bed (but under it). And I have 1 disconnect (for the hose) in the passenger side cubby and another with a gauge in the cab to fill the tank. I plan on hard mounting a second 350C compressor under the bed or cubby soon.

I have pics of it in my gallery.

3. Apr 27, 2011 at 1:38 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    No reason you can't do the install yourself, if you have the time. Save you a ton on labor. If not look into someone else doing it, 400 is pretty extreme.

Check out the PUMA 12v compressors.

4. Apr 27, 2011 at 1:46 AM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    Subbed. But from what I've heard, 4 wheel parts overcharges and jips you.

5. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    We have the same 450 kit you are considering. I put the compresser under the hood. I think the compresser would get hotter running in a cubby than under the hood with the engine running too. You can mount the tank right behind the bumper but it is vulnerable to damage from rocks and such from wheelin. I mounted the tank under the bed behind the axle, but you can't run the spare there anymore. I'm building an in bed tire carrier so its not an issue for us.

6. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Might consider the new ARB air compressor. Reading up on it it looks like it's 100% duty cycle, it will push 6 CFM at 0 PSI and 4.65 CFM at 29 PSI and is supposed to be able to run air tools. The good thing about the ARB compressors is that they come with everything you need except the hose. They have a full wiring loom, switch, fuses, pressure switch and mounting hardware. I believe they will be ready around mid to the end of May.

I installed their High Output compressor on my previous FJ Cruiser and it was fairly straight forward and took me about 3 hours.

I have to swing by ARB today and pick up something. I'll see if I can get a look at one if they have one or talk to one of the tech guy's about it.

7. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    They are going to have a 12 volt and 24 volt compressor. The CKMTA12 is the 12 volt compressor and the CKMTA24 is the 24 volt version. For ARB's compressor part numbers the last two digits denote the voltage requirement.

8. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    tony92629

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    5100's all the way around. Front set at .85. Camburg Spindles. Camburg Uniball 1.25 UCA's. Total Chaos LCA skid plates. Custom Deaver 10 pack rear leaf spring. BFG AT KO's 285/70/17, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okoles. Midland CB/PA, Firestick.
    Thanks for the info and advice. I looks like I am going to try to do the intsall myself - save the $400 for something else and learn something new.

9. Apr 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    I did a lot of research on this...been shacked up with not much to do since I had shoulder surgery again.

A good option IMHO for you is the Puma 12v setup, you can leave it with the pump and the tank attached for a bit, see if it gets good use or you want to split it up. Which a lot of people do. Then all you need is to plum some longer air lines and mount everything, and a little wiring. Its 100% duty cycle and has great reviews on Pirate4x4 and IH8Mud.

I like the idea of keeping it portable cause I can stow it in the bed just fine when wheeling, and have it in the garage or something to use to spray air or run a die grinder...or walk it over to a buddies truck to help them air up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/12v-1-5-gal-air...503?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48402c35d7

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/166969-puma-12v-compressor.html

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Apr 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    Take a look at my install. I have a very powerful compressor (1hp peak) that can run tools, etc, and the location works very well for it.

Let me know if you have questions: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/132817-oba-install-05-tacoma.html

And yes, I agree with others, do the install yourself, save a ton of money, and get the satifaction of knowing you did it. It is not hard, and then you can do it exactly how you want it.

11. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Swung by ARB today and got a look at the new air compressor!

This thing is a beast!!! It's fairly large and will most likely have to be mounted in an area where mud won't get to it. The cooling fan on it is water resistant not water proof.

ARB is using one around their shop to run air tools, using impact guns to remove wheels and running air guns!

I'm getting one as soon as I can!

12. May 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    ^^ did you ever get it?

13. May 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    tony92629

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    Thoughts.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Do you have a compressor rigged to that tank? You'll drain that quick doing anything.

15. May 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    YFZ_TRD

YFZ_TRD 4Runner Pilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Beaverton, OR
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5
    Just asking for the tank to get jacked IMO. Unless you install it with some vinyl lock nuts

16. May 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    tony92629

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Dana Point
    Vehicle:
    I have a 12v portable air compress that I can attach to the tank...or not. I thought about it getting jacked.....for that matter, I always think about my truck getting jacked....Heck - its a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab with Camburg and Deaver stuff on it. Sorta hard to live life that way though. I figure I have insurance, pictures and receipts. If they jack the tank...thats $40 bucks gone. They would probably take the CB antenna as well. Hopefully, they will still be messing with it when I return.

17. May 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Here is my setup that has been working well for about 3 months now. It is a Viair heavy Duty setup from Amazon for $385.00. I installed it myself but took most of the day and a half by building my own bracket to mount the tank and compressor on. But does quite well with air tools and using an air nozzle to blow down dusty gear from quad riding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To Top