1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBD Help

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ShoreGuy17, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Sep 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    ShoreGuy17

ShoreGuy17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    New York
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma and 08 Tacoma
    Hi, I am traveling from NY to Fla with a trailer and motorcycle behind my 08 Tacoma, with an Auto Trans.. I was told adding an "OBD monitor" would help me with shifting and gas mileage towing the the extra weight. Is this true? Does it just monitor how you are driving? Or can you add data such as extra weight etc. I have no clue

Kenney D

2. Sep 22, 2011 at 12:31 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Nope. A OBD monitor like the Scangauge and Ultragauge will only let you see info from your truck's sensors. It calculates MPG based on engine load and throttle position. It will help you drive better but they unit itself will not change anything on the truck. Search for info on those units. Lastly there are no OBD 2 plug in modules that will make changes to the stock ECU. Toyota encrypts their programming and they do not let just anyone mess with it unlike American brands.

To Top