1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Observations of My "New to Me" Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saf023, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM
    saf023

saf023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Picked up my “new to me” 2007, double cab, 4X4, TRD Sport with trailer hitch, Tacoma (14,000 original miles) this morning. I flew into Boston and drove it 440 miles home to Maryland. While there were a few disappointments, they were with the sellers intentionally or unintentionally overlooking issues with the vehicle. Given the truck is still under the manufacturers warranty, I am very pleased.

Disappointments:
    - The interior looked great in pictures but in person showed no signs of every having been vacuumed or cleaned anywhere or in any way; right now it’s what I would call a roach.
    - There were a few door dings and chips the seller never mentioned when asked.
    - The truck was not abused but it does not appear to have been maintained mechanically or cosmetically.
    - The wheels (under the OEM paint between the “spokes”) seem to be “growing” some serious crude; the paint on the wheels in these areas looks like its bubbling up.
    - Seems like you have to crank the engine a bit more than you should have to in order for the car to start.
    - The fabric in the door panels doesn’t match the Sport seats fabric.
    - The rear view mirror is not an auto dimming version.
    - I seem to have a slight, low speed, light throttle, “vibration” that can be felt in the accelerator pedal and when the drivers right foot is resting against the trans tunnel.
    - The automatic transmission shifts feel “unusual” at very low (<15 mph) speeds (I’m not sure about this issue, perhaps it will turn out to be nothing but it is something I’ll keep my eye on.
    Areas where I am very pleased:
    - After I steam clean the seats and carpets and wash down all the plastic, I believe the interior will look like new.
    - It’s not a Corvette but the trucks steering is surprisingly responsive; the truck handles well, and has a nice, tight, and firm ride.
    - The truck doesn’t have the torque of a V8 but the little 6 is impressive; you certainly don’t have to push up hills and it seems to have enough top end to move you down the road.
    - I filled the truck up and reset the odometer before I left Boston. I hit no traffic getting out of the city and filled up again after the first 315 miles. I truck stayed below ~2000 rpm and got an impressive 25 mpg. The last 125 miles I seldom let the rpm drop below 2000 rpm while cruising at 75 to 85 mph and got 19 mpg.
    - I found the driving position very comfortable although the dead pedal doesn’t seem to do me much good.
    Observations (neither good nor bad):
    - Based on my GSM navigation system, the trucks speedometer reads 2 to 4 mph higher than actual (measured from 40 to 90 mph)
    - When I got it home and parked in next to a Lincoln Navigator and Ford Explorer, the Tacoma is “not a small truck”.
    - The Tacoma has an aggressive looking stance and in general, is darn good looking truck

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    • I'd have had the dealer clean it before delivery...
    • Chips are to be expected on a used vehicle but, they should have been upfront. I will say, this paint is pretty suspectable to paint chips.
    • My truck has to crank more than I'd think sometimes too... seems pretty common but it never fails.
    • Why do you believe it wasn't maintained mechanically?
    • Are you sure the wheels aren't just covered in break dust?
    • The fabric doesn't match any of the trims. Look up the leather arm rest mod up top, it's win (i'll be doing it myself).
    • Not the auto dimmer.... not much I can say about that.
    • The vibrations could be caused by a number of things. What are the miles? Is the treadwear even on the tires? Have you had them re-balanced and rotated?

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    Since it is still under warranty, take it to a dealer and have it checked out.

I know from experience the wheels are prone to corrosion and are covered under the warranty. I just had new wheels put on free at 35000 miles.

Good luck,

GA

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    sounds like a little elbow grease and youll b good as new.good luck to ya.its a nice ride.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    saf023

saf023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I agree. Knowing it will clean up like new and knowing I've still got part of the manufacturers warranty is why I bought it.

I figures other might be interested in a new owners first impressions. To all, thanks for the comments. I am planning to have the dealer look at a number of small issues. The input on the wheel crude being covered is great news. For what it's worth, I'm also planning to put about 500 lbs in the bed to see if the rear suspension bottoms out. If it does, I'd like to get the TSB covering that problem installed as well. After that, I'll be good to go.

Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top