1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Octane Rating at Elevation

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Geeder48, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Aug 2, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    wheeliest

wheeliest ///////////////////

Member:
    First Name:
    Json
    TMPE AZ
    Vehicle:
    05-SWB-DCSB-4X4-V6-SR5-SPORT
    NO SWAYBAR, Spacer lift with dirty4's
    upgrade to what ever octane you need to stop knock/ping is the general consensus

2. Aug 2, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    When I had my SC installed, the dealer told me it required 91 octane. This was at sea level, but it made sense to me considering the increased performance. If I can run lower (cheaper) fuel, that would be awesome. I just didn't want to void warranty or cause issues.

3. Aug 2, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Based on my Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow education, the Super Charge will force pressurized the cylinder mitigating the altitude effect. As this pertains to Octane levels, it's out of my learnin.

jsi likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    wheeliest

wheeliest ///////////////////

Member:
    First Name:
    Json
    TMPE AZ
    Vehicle:
    05-SWB-DCSB-4X4-V6-SR5-SPORT
    NO SWAYBAR, Spacer lift with dirty4's
    Yeah, supercharger boost at low rpm..

5. Aug 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I'm supercharged so Premiums for me. Le sad.

If I wasn't though I wouldn't waste a penny more on mid-grade unless I had knock activity. To do otherwise is foolish as you get no performance or mileage gains.

jsi likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    A supercharger makes its own atmosphere so it doesn't change hp level per elevation increase

CO MTN Steve likes this.
  7. Aug 5, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    highriserkaiser

highriserkaiser Estoy Grifo

Member:
    Gunnison National Forest
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4
    I'm in the mountains, nearly double that. I've noticed mileage difference in other vehicles when switching octanes but I've only run 85 so far in this Tacoma. My old Impreza definitely got the best mileage at 85. I might experiment one week where I'll be doing the exact same commute.

8. Aug 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    There's far too many variables to say "well, I got more mpg on that tank so 91oct is better" which is what most do. First hand real world empirical proof, right? Wrong. There's just way, way, WAY too many variables for this sort of test to be considered anywhere scientific and undeniable proof.

If you don't have forced induction with the ability to increase the boost or advance timing on the fly or the ECU isn't programmed to 'know' it has higher octane rating to do these things for you then there is no gains to be had unless you have pinging which will cause it to pull timing. If you have pinging than a 'gain' can be made by simply avoiding having the ECU pull timing but that's not really a gain. That's just compensating for the other variables to keep the ECU happy which keeps it at the baseline.

jsi likes this.
  9. Aug 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Why people want to give more money to the oil companies than they have to confuses me. :confused:

What Ostrichsak said. +1 Here's a different way of saying the same thing - The engine sucks in and mixes fuel with the atmosphere, compresses it, sets off a spark to make a bang, then blows it out the tailpipe. (suck - squeeze - bang - blow) Bottom line what octane an engine needs is simply a math equation. If the engine is at high altitude it will suck in less atmosphere and as a consequence the squeeze will result in a lower cylinder pressure. The lower the cylinder pressure the lower the required octane. The ECU can only advance the spark so far, so if the engine doesn't ping with 85, 91 won't make a bit of difference. If the engine is pinging with 85 at altitude then something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Oh and let's not confuse stock tacoma engines with supercharged, turbo, or modified engines. Octane needs are a completely different conversation in those cases.

10. Aug 5, 2017 at 9:46 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    I wish I could pay less per gal of gas for my street strip toy but unfortunately not gonna happen . Try spending $15 - $17 per gal or $150 - $170 a tank 2-3 x's a month . Doing this burns a large hole in your wallet

11. Sep 16, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    I use Ethanol free gas, and since 87/88 octanes are the lowest I find in that format, that's what I use.

12. Sep 17, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    Is have been living at 7000' since 1993, working on gasoline and diesel vehicles, and many an automotive old timer stated vehicles that use carburetors, the higher the elevation, the lower the octane.
    My wife had been putting in 85 octane in her fuel injected '00 Jeep TJ Wrangler, cuz her father said to. I didn't know that and thought it ran like crap. Owners manual says 87. Full tank of 87 and the Jeep became a different vehicle.
    I have never owned a vehicle with a carburetor. I have found that running higher rated octane than required never felt better, faster, quicker, etc.

13. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    I drove a 98 TJ Wrangler for 15 years and couldn't tell a bit of difference between 85/87/91 and I tried all of them in the quest for better performance. I stand by the math and the physics. Unless an engine is designed for higher octane gas it does not produce more power. IMO butt dynos are incredibly susceptible to hype and marketing and the oil companies are great at providing both.

wheeliest likes this.
  14. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:33 PM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Finally getting good air here finally !! :woot:

DA or corrected elev 4782 ft / 1556ft higher than actual elev

Rel density 87.52

No wonder why may Drag race car felt more responsive today !!:thumbsup: . just a couple months back I was seeing near 9k ft corrected elev

15. Sep 17, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Higher altitude has less oxygen/pressure which makes fuel harder to burn. This is also what octane does. You can get away with 85 at altitudes > than about 4000 feet. Mine runs no different than higher octane. What really chaps my hide is that I'm paying the same for 85 octane where lower elevations get 87. That's not right. It should be cheaper to drive at higher elevations.

microsnook and jsi like this.
  16. Dec 23, 2017 at 11:30 PM
    Silver taco 15

Silver taco 15 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Denver Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma SR5
    Windows tinted, vent visors, grill screen, clear bra, bed cover, new tires, knobs for AC controls that light up, Tacoma world sticker, K&N air filter.
    I run 87 the cost is not much more than 85

17. Feb 6, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    lostskiier

lostskiier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Western Slope of Colorado
    85 will cause the 3.5 to ping like mad out here in Grand Junction during the 90-100 degree days of summer.

18. Feb 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    I wonder what's different about Grand Junction? I live at 4500 ft and have never had a modern car ping and I never run anything but 85.

19. Feb 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM
    N919HJ

N919HJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD OR

I totally get what you are saying above. My manual states that the minimum octane is 87 but all engine testing and performance were conducted with 92. I would say 92 is OPTIMUM. I can get the actual verbiage tomorrow if you like. That being said, I don’t pay for gas in my truck or the Land Cruiser. It’s all free because I spend so much f***ing money on groceries.

20. Feb 6, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    lostskiier

lostskiier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JK
    Western Slope of Colorado
    I suspect it’s the heat out here on the western slope in the summer. I ran 85 for a while until I was driving through a canyon and could hear very audible pinging bouncing off the canyon walls. Filled up with 91 and the ping was gone the next time I went through canyon no ping... then for shits and giggles I filled up with 85 a few days later and the ping was back. During the same time I did some rudimentary 0-60 runs and 91 was without a doubt smoother and slightly quicker.

Products Discussed in

To Top