1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd question during purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gregp, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    gregp

gregp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    A few weeks ago, as I was sitting down with the finance manager to purchase my new Tacoma, he dug out a questionair, and asked me "How much *less* would we have to charge for the vehicle if it did not come with any warranty at all?" At the time, I think that I answered $5,000, and he said "Good answer".
    It got me thinking, why would they ask a question like that?? What are they trying to get at??

2. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    they probably just wanna know how much you trust toyota products. if you said 15 then they may lower the price a bit because they would know that you werent dead set on a toyota, if you had said 1 they wouldn't shift at all because you sound like you really want a yota

3. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I'd ask him why he was asking the question.

4. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Dealers can "buy" the warranty from Toyota, the same way your big national electronic store can "buy" the warranty from the manufactuere and get that item for a lower price .

5. Feb 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    Interesting, so, if they do not buy the warranty, their price (and, thus, my price), is lower?
    I did ask him about the questionaire, and he replied that it was a "Standard Toyota Questionaire" and that he reaaly did not know what they did with it...

6. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Field Market Research. Likely just gathering information for Toyota Corporate.

7. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    It's all about "perceived value". Perceived value is the price or "value" the consumer places on an item or service, and not necessarily the actual value or cost.

Many industries use perceived value as the basis of selling items or services, and it's a sales concept not very well known to the general public.

8. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Probably considering upselling you on an extended warranty. After all, if 3/36 is worth $5,000 to you, then you might be willing to pay $(thousands) to double that (or more).

9. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Peple will pay $8000 less than similar new all day long for Toyotas out of the important bumper to bumper Warranty. Drive train warranty is a joke really. Early Hyundais.......the worst cars when they came out had 100K drive train waranties and apparently they lasted long enough to become a recognized reliable brand

Drive trains last a long time. Its the little plasticrap and fans and motors that go and they are ususally replaced by non Toyota mechanics for a little over the cost of the part, most of which can be found at places other than Toyota.

Sure when you are considering TOYOTA PARTS and SERVICE PRICES you need the Service Contract LOL

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    I don't know,....considering the *hard time* my dealership is giving me over replacing 1 missing center cap, which I believe is *between the bumpers*, I would have to say that the value of the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty is negligible.
    Heaven Forbid that I actually experience a "real" problem.....
    Funny, though,..I bought a Tacoma because they are consistantly rated as "The Best". I can not imagine what owners of other, less reliable, lower rated trucks go through.

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    It could be too they're trying to separate the value of the vehicle vs the factory warranty for their financial statements. Maybe they're doing some internal accounting shifts and need the survey data to value the revenue generated from the vehicle versus the factory warranty their "selling" as part of the vehicle price. Just another guess...

12. Feb 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    could just be the owner's kid is doing some market research for statistics class. Seems like a strange venue for professional statistics research. Nor is it some sort of price adjusting ploy. I'd lean more towards someone's pet project than toyota corporate just because of the method of delivery. But who knows what statistician might be thinking of some strange effect on his poll.

Yea, I'd probably say something like 5 grand. Figure, if you lose an engine it'll cost you between 1 and 10000 to replace it with a rebuilt or crate. Most other concerns are small. Some strange diagnosis on lectric parts.

I've rarely used a warranty. Can't think of ever using one before I got my tacoma. But I've had the tacoma literally for weeks. Something was bound to go wrong sooner and later.

13. Feb 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Hamwi Taco

Hamwi Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hani
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    D-cab OR SB
    I think the guy was trying to set you up for buying an extended warranty by asking you how much you think the 3 year 36k is worth he can tell you the extended is only $1500 for another 70k miles, and help you realize its a good deal.

FYI the is no Toyota dealer that can buy a Toyota without the warranty, if that was the case the warranty would be itemized with a price on the window sticker.

14. Feb 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Lubing you up for the extended warranty :)

15. Feb 25, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    gregp

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '13 V-6 4x4
    Maybe you guys are right, and he was just leading into the warranty sales pitch. But I declined it anyway (hard sell!). It appeared as though he had a checklist of some sort and went down it asking me about 10 random questions.
    I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything. My wife, OTOH, just bought one for the freaking stove! LOL!

16. Feb 25, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    x2

Products Discussed in

To Top