1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Odd smell when first taking off

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Major91, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    Major91

Major91 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffROAD Barcelona Red
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Hopefully someone can let me know what this can be. When i first start out in the morning and start to move out of the driveway i get a smell of like something inside that has been soaked with water and smells like your laundry machine? It goes away really quick like........

Could this be my cabin filter? Any ideas anyone? Any thoughts would be awesome so i can fix it.......:confused:

2. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    was your a/c on the last time you drove it?

3. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    On Anytime Fog Lights Satoshi Grillcraft Misc LEDS 5100's all around Konig's16". Duratracks, debadged,tinted fronts, custom shifter, flyzeye
    Nope.........I first thought it was my drivers side door. The first time i had the window down i could smell it and then it would go away. Was thinking before i bought the truck it got some rain inside and was waiting for it to go away.......but no luck......

I have not had the ac on in a few weeks so i don't think it has anything to do with that.........

4. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    Definately your a/c. For the first summer I drove my 06 I was convinced that I had bought a hurricane Katrina salvaged vehicle! Turning your a/c off 5 minutes before you turn off your vehicle seems to remedy the problem.

5. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    So when i get in my truck in the morning to go to work.......i start my truck.........open my window and get the smell......when i start to move forward its gone and i don't smell it till the next time i start up....

So this is the AC? I have seen some posts where they sprayed aerosole spray inside with the AC running............does this work? Or is there a better fix for this?

6. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    I think I read on here somewhere that its condensation in the system. If you don't allow it to dry up you'll get that musty wet carpet smell.

7. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Check the drain for the condenser, that may be plugged should be a small rubber hose coming through the firewall on the passenger side.

Sometimes these get plugged and retain water in the airbox, giving you that fresh from the swamp kind of smell.

I would also replace the cabin air filter

8. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Okay thanks for your input. I am reading about cabin air filters and the 5 minute thing.

Just something i will have the dealership look at.......warranty work for sure if there is anything they can do...........I was thinking there should be a TSB for this............:D

9. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Major91

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Will replace filter and check out the rubber hose for sure! Yaaaaa good description.......swampy! :p

10. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
  11. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I figured this out on my truck. After about two weeks of concern and reading through forums with no answers that made sense to my truck I removed the door panels and found the problem. Water flows through our doors from the window all the way down to drian holes in the bottom of the doors. There is plastic covering the electrical stuff and around the seal water gets trapped. Everytime you lower the window the smell from the stagnant water rises up with the airflow into the cab. It goes away quickly, but is very annoying. I havent found a solution but that is, at least for my truck, the problem. Some how we have to figure out how to keep the water from getting trapped in the plastic! if anyone beats me to the puntch I would love to know how you solve this!!!!!

12. Aug 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top