1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X2Power SLI31AGMDPM (Group 31 AGM) battery, long term user experience.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yonah, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Jul 16, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    henryp

henryp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Form follows function
    I ended getting a terminal connector that made it barely long enough. There is a write up somewhere on TW on how to take apart the fuse box. Requires placing multiple zip ties on the attachment tabs. Let me see if I can find the thread.

2. Jul 16, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    henryp

henryp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Henry
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Form follows function
  3. Jul 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM
    yonah

yonah [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calling-in from east of the Rockies
    Ah, yes. The only part of this mod that wasn't plug-and-play.

I cut about a 4.5-5" pigtail of AWG 6 (I think). Not 100% on the gauge size, but it's whatever the stock wire is that feeds the under hood fuse block. I solder slugged two eyelets on it and used marine-grade heat shrink on the connectors.

Then all you have to do it connect it to the old wire. I used a short bolt with a lock washer. Cranked it down as tight as it would go. Coated it with some liquid electrical tape, and then wrapped the entire connection point with a large piece of marine-grade heat shrink for good measure. This keeps moister out, isolates the connection, and basically wraps the nut in place. It will never loosen.

I have over 12k miles on this modification now. Lots of forest service and BLM roads. Schnebly Hill in Sedona and the White Rim in Moab. No issues to report, still holding strong.

I didn't want to cut the old wire and solder on an extension or anything like that. I prefer to keep OEM wiring harnesses intact. It makes the modification reversible if you ever need to revert to the OEM set up.

---

Here's a screen cap of the pigtail from one of my earlier photos:

IMG_2249.PNG.jpg

Please let me know if you need any further info or photos.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    SR-71A and excorcist like this.
  4. Jul 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    yonah

Member:
    This would be the preferred long term solution. I was strapped for time when I swapped in my Group 31. I took the Taco for a cross country trip the next day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Add this to the list. I may have to undertake this cable swap in the fall. I need to catch up on some nickel and dime projects that have been put off for awhile.

henryp[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    17taco4x4

17taco4x4 FZJ80

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    Porter, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:.

yonah[OP] and henryp like this.
  6. Jul 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    StOrMyThEtAcO

StOrMyThEtAcO @stormythetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport mom bus
    All of them
    :popcorn:Have this exact set up sitting in the garage right now, just need to modify the wiring to get it back together

yonah[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 31, 2017 at 4:41 AM
    StOrMyThEtAcO

StOrMyThEtAcO @stormythetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport mom bus
    All of them
    Hey @yonah can you post up some more pics of the extension, I'm about to tackle it today at some point hopefully. This is the only thing holding me back is the extension part.

Did you just do the small wire to the fuse box or the big wire going to the alternator or wherever it goes

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    yonah[OP] and AnchorCop like this.
  8. Jul 31, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    yonah

Member:
    It will be a few days before I can get some photos, but I am certainly willing to help you out.

Toynado likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    Toynado

Toynado Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    Good thread. On the fence if I want to go dual or single 31M like you have done.

It'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison of how many days say a 50L fridge would last on a single vs. dual setup

10. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    yonah

Member:
    @Toynado

If you're spending a lot of time in the bush, I honestly think you would be better off with a Group 31 and a modest solar setup to keep the battery topped off. Nothing crazy, just enough to feed the fridge. Most fridges have a surprisingly low amp draw, even when they run continuously. The price will still be below what a dual battery set up would run - at least one that is set up correctly.

My plan is to eventually install a small flexible solar panel over my cab. The technology is getting more efficient every year and prices continually go down. However, right now the Group 31 does fine by itself. I very rarely run my fridge for more than two days before moving to another campsite etc. I don't like to stay in one place very long.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    BassAckwards and Toynado like this.
  11. Aug 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    yonah

Member:
    2016trdtacoma and Toynado like this.
  12. Aug 16, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Hawforne

Hawforne Well-Known Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    O-Diggity
    West KY
    Vehicle:
    12TRD
    Tons of gay shit
    Fwiw I abused an x2 power in a truck pulling 1800 rms or so to power 4 sundown sd8's in a ported box and never killed mine. While running four pods and a lightbar as rocklights.

Ran strong for over 3 years of constant draw for bass til I sold it. Only drained it once when I left my "rock lights" on for two hours in a parking lot with the truck off. On a 20 degree night.

yonah[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    BrotherBudro

BrotherBudro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Access Cab, V6 4X4
    Leer 100XR, Dual Battery, Dog Platform, Sleeping Platform, Ham, CB, Light Bar, Rear Lights,
    I don't plan on running a fridge, but do you think your same setup could run a fan or 2, plus charge some phones overnight? I'm trying to decide if I want to go the 31 route vs. dual battery.

14. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:09 PM
    yonah

Member:
    You would be fine charging the phones. Once they're charged, the power consumption drops considerably as they simply maintain a full charge.

With the fan I think it would depend on the amp draw of the unit in question.

15. Sep 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    17taco4x4

17taco4x4 FZJ80

Member:
    First Name:
    Orlando
    Porter, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Land Cruiser
    IMG_0358.jpg Finally got the X2power battery installed. Had to buy a longer battery cable and bolted together to the factory one. I put liquid electrical tape and heat shrink together.

AWD_Jeff and yonah[OP] like this.
  16. Sep 9, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    yonah

Member:
    Looks good!

17. Sep 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    mikalcarbine

mikalcarbine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OR
    subbed, I have a Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) in my jeep and it's still running strong 7 years later, multiple deep discharges (oops), 4 NE winters and 3 Arizona summers

Toynado likes this.
  18. Sep 10, 2017 at 2:38 AM
    jgallo60

jgallo60 Well-Known Member

Member:
    orange county, calif
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma supercharged
    odyssey about the best you can get add an upgraded alternator w 0g wire

Toynado likes this.
  19. Sep 10, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    Toynado

Toynado Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    EXTERIOR: Toytec Boss 2.0 Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs Tailpipe chopped Pelfreybilt Front full hoop front bumper w/ Pelfrey fairlead Pelfreybilt Rear standard bumper Pelfreybilt Aluminum IFS, Mid, Rear (exhaust reroute) & Gas tank skids Pelfreybilt Fuseplate w/ 12 circuit fuse block All-Pro Apex Sliders ProComp 7036 17"x9" -6 offset BFG 275/70R/17 KO2's Warn VR10000-S winch Baja Designs S8 light bar & Squadron sports amber pods in front bumper Baja Designs S2 flush pods in rear bumper Baja Designs Squadron Pro amber pods on Caliraised ditch light brackets @rrentrop reflective black tailgate inserts RSI LED's for regular & high beams Prinsu Cabrac Custom Tradesman Truck Top by Access Manufacturing w/ Powertank 8"propane tank mount & Yakima tracks on the roof INTERIOR: Warrior Products door sill protectors Husky Weather Beater floor mats front & rear Coverking arid multicam seat covers in the front Midland 75-822 CB w/ 4' Firestick antenna on C4 Fabrication tailgate mount Consolevault Hondo Garage iPhone mount
    ^^^^^^good to hear

My Odyseey 31M arrived in the mail yesterday and have a Pelfreybilt cage to put it in once I get some time this week.

yonah[OP] likes this.
  20. Oct 15, 2017 at 12:20 AM
    arwinnnsd

arwinnnsd Rockin the Death Train!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Woo, MA
    Vehicle:
    The Death Train!!!
    BFG All-Terrain KO2s Pelfreybilt Al triple loop plate bumper Warn Zeon 8-S winch EBC Brake Kit - S5 Yellowstuff and GD Rotors Custom kick out rock sliders
    Hey all!

So I live in tucson which ruins batteries fast. But I am personally having a bad experience with an optima red. The battery started to die randomly at about two years and the receipt is lost; couldn't claim warranty. To I'm about to commit and buy the x2power group 31 battery. But I'm being indecisive and can't decide between the the regular battery $348.23 (10% discount) with a 5 year warranty or the marine battery $391.47 (same discount) 4 year warranty. I already have the group 31 SS cage by pelfreybilt, plan on doing the 2 gauge wire upgrade referenced above. I wouldn't be taking advantage of the double hook up for a minimum of 6 months, but I need a new battery by next weekend; hunting season is going full swing and I got an awesome GSP puppy to train :)

I'm basically down to an extra year of warranty versus convenience (but a lot of extra work hooking up baseman and etc). I'm hooking up a new winch next weekend as well and plan to get a couple new light bars over the next 6 months. I don't know if I'll ever hook up a fridge or get an arb cooler. I would like to be able to charge electronics with the car turned off, just like my wife's bmw x5. I use the truck bed outlet/inverter as for an electric tea kettle and other junk while luxury camping.

I'm leaning toward just the standard battery, but i'm being an indecisive little b!tch. Any words of wisdom from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top