1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OE Replacement Coil-Over Shock Kits

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DSM Shock Tech, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Feb 17, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    DSM Shock Tech

DSM Shock Tech [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sonny
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma TRD White with King's
    Camburg UCA's King Front & Rear Shocks Deaver Springs TRD Super Charger
    Good morning,
    We get this question quite a bit at the shop and figured I would throw in my 2 cents..

Q: How much height can I get out of my King Coil-Over replacement front shock kit for my 05-Up Tacoma 2wd Pre-Runner/4wd?

A: Yep its a lengthy one: Example being front King shocks 25001-119, in this case, 2.5" is the max that is recommended as far as ride height by King and Downsouth Motorsports. Normally the Kings will come pre-set from King at around 1.75"-2" of lift. You can add a few more turns 3 to 4 normally if need be to get the 2.5" ride height.

Ride height will vary depending on any added weight such as a steel winch style bumper with winch or skids and so on. In this case you may want to consider changing the spring rate to a higher rate depending on the amount of weight one has added. Higher spring rate, less pre-load normally and not much affect to the over-all ride & performance the shock was designed for.

Now to ride quality: Once you have gone past 2.5" of ride height you loose the ride quality a bit because you are loosing droop travel (Droop travel in this case would be the amount of shock shaft that is allowed to drop out from inside the shock from where the vehicle is sitting at its normal ride height). Once you have limited the droop travel to next to nothing, then normally you start to hear noises out of the front end. Example: Driving over a speed bump and hearing a clunking noise out of the front end. That is normally the sound of the shock topping out because there is to much pre-load in the spring to get the ride height up and there is no droop travel.

Whether it is King, FOX or ICON or Radflo, most OE bolt in replacement Front Coil-Over shock kits are designed more for Performance and not so much ride height.

Also please keep in mind that over-all ride is a perception, one persons idea of a good ride, may not be the same as another persons.

Thanks
    Sonny

2. Feb 17, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Bump for good info

ODNAREM likes this.
  3. Feb 19, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    What about extended travel coilovers? Can you preload more than 2.5? With aftermarket UCA's? Or stay about the same? I have Icon 2.5 Ext trvl coilovers. My center of hub measurement to bottom of the inside of the fender well is 24". Thanks

4. Feb 19, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    DSM Shock Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Sonny
    Vehicle:
    Good afternoon,
    With the ICON Extended Travel shocks you can get a comfortable 3" of ride height. With the King Extended Travel, still would recommend staying around the 2.5" mark. Extended Travel shocks will always need an aftermarket uni-ball style UCA.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  5. Feb 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    Sicyota04

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Sorry. I meant I have the Icon ext. trvls w/ Camburg UCA's. Just wondering if 3" of lift is ok w/ ext. trvl coilovers? I use to have adjustable Bilsteins w/ 3" Eibach coils and the same Camburg UCA's I have with this set up. But that set up rode terrible! After all, I only have TG front & rear tube bumpers and TG sliders. So not too much weight. I also had 0-3" Bilsteins w/ a 1.5" AAL. Now I have Icon 2.0 rear shocks 0-3" lift. W/ the same AAL. But I just wanted to make sure that with the lift I have in the front is ok? Like I said 24" from center hub to inner fender. I kept having to take the coilover back out to adjust it till my truck was level. It was to hard to adjust on the truck even on a vehicle lift at full droop. My spanner wrench kept hitting the UCA! I'm not sure what the measurement should be for 3" of lift. I just adjusted the CO's till my truck was level. What should the Alignment specs be?
    0 Camber
    2.5 - 3 Caster
    0 Toe
    Is that correct?

6. Feb 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    DSM Shock Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Sonny
    Vehicle:
    Correct you are good with the ICON Extended travel shocks at 3" of ride height. As for the 24" from the center of hub to the fender well, you would have needed the same measurement at stock height so you have a comparison to determine the 3" of ride height gain. Most OE front coilover shocks want 1.5" minimum of droop travel at the shock from ride height for a decent street ride. As for the alignment specs, normally most newer alignment racks will have a range that is + or - from the Factory settings. (Green Zone). As long as she drives straight and the steering components are not being hammered due to horrible angles and she is not blowing through tires, you should be good to go.

7. Feb 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    Sicyota04

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Here are my alignment specs from about 4 months ago after I installed them. What I'm worried about is I had it done at my college auto shop and they went off the factory specs. But if you have aftermarket UCA's. Can't you get more out of them?

IMG_5224.jpg

8. Feb 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    DSM Shock Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Sonny
    Vehicle:

Anything is possible, looks like it is close. Best bet would be to have someone who is familiar with doing alignments on lifted vehicles check it out. Correct most aftermarket uni-ball style UCA's have added caster built into the arm, around 3 degrees or so to aid with the alignment on lifted vehicles.

9. Feb 20, 2017 at 7:58 PM
    3coma

3coma my kid says my truck is "Boss"

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Vehicle:
    19 dcsb sport cement 4x4
    How many threads are typically exposed for 2-1/2" of lift on a double cab with no extra weight up front. I want to adjust mine before I install then final adjust after settling.

10. Feb 21, 2017 at 2:39 AM
    DSM Shock Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    Sonny
    Vehicle:
    Tough question, we do not do installs. But out of the box, the King standard travel 25001-119 shocks have around a 1/4" of thread showing. When we convert standard travel 119's to Extended travel, we add 5 turns of pre load and that puts you close to the 2 to 2.5" ride height from what our customers have shared with us. Hope that helps a bit.

Lord Helmet likes this.
  11. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:18 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Old thread bump. Does anyone know if/how extended travel king coilovers can be converted to standard length? I have no need for extended travel and would rather not change UCA at this time.

12. Dec 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    JT@Bajakits

JT@Bajakits Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Race Trucks and Off Road Suspension
    Replace the shaft spacer that was removed to give you the extended travel set up

13. Dec 20, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Gotcha. Are the spacers available to be purchased separately?
    I'm considering buying a used set of extended travel Kings as the price is right. But I would prefer the OE length to avoid the need for aftermarket UCA.

14. Dec 20, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    Yes you can purchase from King or make them. I can take care if it for you or DSM or Accutune can rebuild and convert to standard travel.

*TRD* and backcountryj[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Dec 20, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Good to know. Just for future knowledge, what’s a rebuild cost?

16. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    TMFF

TMFF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    01/02 DCLB
    Stuff and junk and things...
    PM me or the other rebuilders I mentioned.

Products Discussed in

To Top