1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Audio c3 System?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by EvilBetty, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Jul 3, 2016 at 1:20 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I've had the truck less than a week, and I'm about to stab the speakers with an ice pick.

I was going to buy an SR5 initially and spend the money saved on a nice sound system, but when I saw what was lost going from TRD --> SR5, I changed my mind.

So now I am here with this de-tuned sound system and looking at options. I didn't have a sub in my last truck (first in a long time) and really didn't miss it. I had a JVC nav system that gave me enough adjustment of the sound to make it livable with the factory speakers. Just enough to make replacing the speakers a low priority.

So replacing the head unit is option one.

Then I see DSPs have make a lot of progress since I last saw them. Researched the *********, Locs, Bit Tens, all requiring amps and RCA cables. Then I found the OEM Audio Plus solutions.

The 450Q Reference would be awesome, but I'm still not convinced I need a sub for another $500. Mostly I don't want to loose the storage space behind the drivers rear seat.

Has anyone tried the c3 system without the sub?
    http://www.shop.oemaudioplus.com/Toyota-Tacoma-Dbl-Cab-C-TYT-TCD-CCC-1600.htm

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Jul 3, 2016 at 1:24 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    lots of pretty easy solutions available without having to spend that kinda money!

3. Jul 3, 2016 at 1:31 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I'm open to options.

1truckdriver likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    4RNR

4RNR トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Ge
    America
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1UR-FE | 10 4Runner 1GR-FE | 16 2GR-FKS DCSB 4X4 - sold
    2016 Tundra crewmax
    Sorry but for 1k that system is a joke!!!! You can build your own with better speakers and everything, probably for less.
    Including sub.

5. Jul 3, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    jonnyozero3

jonnyozero3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dry places
    Vehicle:
    '99 TRD OR V6 M/T
    OME, sliders, dents, hail damage, soiled armrest. Lightbulbs.
    Well then, what would you suggest for someone looking for a plug n play balanced, articulate system?

6. Jul 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Our packages will be based on the following criteria :
    1) speaker selection based on effective use of stock deck power. Simple remove old speakers, put in new speakers and add the self powered sub.
    2) Stock deck with amps that have high/low inputs. Option of 4 channel + self powered sub or 4 channel + mono and 8/10 inch sub
    3) Stock Deck + High end LOC that we use on BMW, MERC and other luxury cars + mid line amps
    4) Active setup ran by a DSP, Stock deck or after market with matching amps and mids for this category.

there is also a few smaller items that will go into each of these based on the users skill, install knowledge and desired sound characteristics

I believe option 1 would work fantastic for you, and even option 2 and then your choice to add a self powered sub to full in that bottom frequency

7. Jul 3, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    4RNR

4RNR トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Ge
    America
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1UR-FE | 10 4Runner 1GR-FE | 16 2GR-FKS DCSB 4X4 - sold
    2016 Tundra crewmax
    i was advised at audio shop that just by doing Focals in all four doors would improve sound a lot - @$400-450, can be cheaper. Plus amp - @$300.
    Just buy wiring from them and run your speakers and amp. Also i would run 6-1/2 in fronts, you need abrackets- $20.

Seems to much for a"blah" brand speakers and amp.

8. Jul 3, 2016 at 6:33 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Are the speakers really the weak link here? I assumed it was the head deck and I would need a DSP and new speakers at the least to get agreeable sound quality. What I don't want are under seats and storage spaces filled with amps and other odds and ends. What I liked about this system is that it only had one device installed up under the front seat and it used factory connectors and harnesses.

If there's something comparable to this, and then all I have to do is source my own speakers, mounts, and speaker connection adapters. I'd be open to it.

9. Jul 3, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    stock deck is fine in general and you can get pretty damn good sound from it.
    If you don't want an amp, there is no other way than to simply install better speakers

10. Jul 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I'm OK with an amp. But if go that route I want to keep the install footprint clean and compact.

After driving around today, it's apparent the power from the head deck isn't high and clean enough on its own for new speakers alone to do the trick.

I'm looking around for all-in-one amps with user adjustable DSP settings. Similar to the AudioControl D-4.800 (not yet available).

And looking into speakers, I'm not seeing any component sets that will fit the door AND tweeter locations. (was hoping Focal made something) Do the factory harnesses employ some kind of crossover already? If so does this need to be replaced as well?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  11. Sep 7, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I'm really shocked by the limited options for a DSP combo amp out there. Any recommendations? I'd really like to stay away from the Euro brands, simply because if it has an issue I don't want to have to contact someone over seas, and especially don't want to mail amps back and forth internationally.

12. Sep 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM
    flynnr

flynnr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD ORDC
    My plan is to get the DSP and harness from ********* - it's plug and play. Then, I plan to get a 5 channel amp (RE audio makes a pretty decent one, or JL audio) and go from there. That way you have the 4 channels for the door speakers and the 5th channel is dedicated for a sub.

Let me know if you find a better alternative. Something all in one would be ideal.

13. Sep 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    We are playing with a really nice 6 channel Dsp right now. IF your not in a rush, stay tuned and please send me an pm

14. Sep 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    BrettsMac08

BrettsMac08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport | 2002 Camaro SS
    KDMax Tuned | MagnaFlow Exhaust | OEM Audio Plus Reference 450Q | TRD Pro Wheels | AT Tires | LED Interior Lighting
    I have the Reference 450Q in mine. I installed it in stages and first was AMP with stock speakers, decent improvement, then all 6 new speakers installed with amp but no sub and it sounded so much better. The door speakers have a good bit of punch, much more so than the stock ones and the tweeters sound great. Of course the sub tied it all together but it sounds a lot better than stock even without it which is pretty much what that other system is. I pretty much listen at volume levels 6-8, up to 10 when needed. I don't think I've ever passed 20 because it got so loud. It's amazing. I do drive with the windows down a lot and it really helps with the clarity being able to get loud without distorting.

EvilBetty[OP] likes this.
  15. Sep 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM
    killthehippies

killthehippies French Fry Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD OR AC 4x4
    how loud did you go on the stock system?

16. Sep 8, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    Myself still on stock... 60 before it sounds decent from Pandora. But sometimes it distorts pretty bad at that volume.

17. Sep 8, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    EvilBetty

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  18. Sep 8, 2016 at 6:54 PM
    Rising Eagle

Rising Eagle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkshires MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR
    The stock speakers are horrible. I would say they're the weakest link in this setup. Below is a quote from a post I put up a couple of days ago that show the quality of the stock speakers vs. the OEM speakers.

I also have the OEM Reference 450Q and it is an enormous improvement in sound quality. I used to be really into car audio about ten years ago. I have since lost touch with the market. I knew the entire system was garbage and wanted something more. I don't have the time to research new equipment, do trial and errors of audio equipment anymore. The OEM system was plug and play and fit my needs for a good sounding car audio system.

flynnr likes this.
  19. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    flynnr

flynnr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD ORDC
    Pm sent

20. Sep 8, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    Lovci

Lovci Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR AC 4cyl M/T
    I like the stock fronts. Not sure what people are expecting. They actually send out some good bump too.

I've installed 4-5 systems in my cars and for this vehicle I would only start with an amp and sub to improve my sound. Maybe some day high quality speakers.

Products Discussed in

To Top