1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Audio + in 2016 Tacoma - Review to read

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by truckindirt, May 29, 2016.

1. May 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    truckindirt

truckindirt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Quad Cab
    I have installed many audio systems over the years. Crisp sound, encompassing base, and vocals that do not get drowned out is the goal. Therefore, I have been a fan of Focal speakers for sometime. So it was hard to consider OEM audio + reference system. I wanted to keep the stock head unit for obvious Toyota integration reasons. So here is my review to read if you are really considering the $1500 package. I installed the reference set a few days ago.

The good. Easy install. Great sound from highs and lows. Excellent base. Packaged well for shipping.

The bad. My main concern was the balance of sound coming from the front and rear speakers. Toyota set up their system to focus on the front speakers while the rears are just fillers. I don't like that. I wanted rears to be almost as loud as the fronts. Makes you feel more engulfed in the music. This system does the same. I don't like it. Wiring was cheap. A little overpriced for what you get. Ability to control the sub output isn't available (if you want to adjust the sub base but keep the door speaker base).

The Sub. The box was nicely formed and fit perfect. It was a little light, so I was worried about the magnet size pushing enough sound to make the truck shake. Well, the sub performed great. More base than I originally thought coming from an 8" speaker. OEM tuned this great. I'm impressed by the output. Felt like a 10" sub. It can be overwhelming though.

The Amp. Initial thoughts were "it's small". How can this push enough amps. Installed the amp. From OEM Audio + it was mounted opposite from what the install video shows. But no problem. Just put installed the wiring on the opposite side too. No modification needed. Just a production glitch. The amp performed well. At higher volumes, the amp seemed to struggle. When I say higher volume, I mean passing half way on the available volume limit of the stock head unit. Still, it performed well.

The speakers. Good design. Nice size magnets (especially compared to the stock magnets). Fit perfectly. Tweeters give off nice highs and front doors give off nice vocals. Fronts are much louder than the rears. OEM Audio mimicked the Toyota design where rears are just faint fillers. Really can't hear the rears at all.

The Wiring. I have wired vehicles, race cars, engines, etc. I am disappointed in the wiring. The plug and play works as published. Factory connectors work perfect. But the wiring looks cheap. I expected for a $1500 system you would get wiring that would blend into the factory wiring. No shrink wrap at the ends of the sheathing, or at the crimp connections. Nothing is soldiered. Fuse housing is cheap. Sheathing was a little oversized (made it hard to fit in the location in the video; under the white clips). The fuse itself is low quality. I wanted quality because wiring makes all the difference in the functionality. Although my concerns don't affect the performance, it shows their lack of attention to detail. Almost like they did the most basic inexpensive wiring possible. Makes me question the quality of the amp and speakers. Were corners cut during production of these? I guess I'll see in a few years.

Overview. For $1500, the system is priced a little high. But if you have never installed a system, this is perfect. It takes experience to put a system together that is tuned to each other. Not to mention in a specific atmosphere. You cannot just but an amp, speakers, a sub and box, then expect its all going to sound goo together. OEM Audio + did the leg work for you.

I installed sound deadening everywhere. Made such a huge difference. No longer fighting the faint sound of the road and wind vibration that the Tacoma does pick up.

My advise for OEM Audio, step up the quality of your wiring. You are selling a premium product. The wiring makes it look cheap. A template for drilling the wiring holes for the sub would be helpful. A subwoofer gain control would be a nice addition.

AKLA98 likes this.
  2. May 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM
    konacoug

konacoug Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kona, HI
    Thanks for your well written review. I was going to go with this system too, but then I found out I was going to be charged over an additional $200 for shipping to Hawaii. I went to one of the two car audio stores yesterday and got an out the door price of $1200, for an all Alpine system. I'm not totally convinced on the set up and doing research into each of the components.

Good luck with your new stereo.

3. May 31, 2016 at 7:46 PM
    toyomaniac71

toyomaniac71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Toytec 2.0 Boss 2" lift; Fuel Boost 18"; Nitto G2 275/65/18; BAMF Grille

Micah - really appreciate the write-up! One can tell you know far more than the average person on car audio. I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am in the midst of accumulating my supplies to try and install myself. I have basic knowledge but with the help of many you on TW I am confident I can get this done!

What I have: I pulled my system that was in my mustang that was installed by CarToys. I have Audio Control Lc8i, Alpine 5 channel PDX amp; Focal 130 KR ( front); Focal TNK K2 power tweeter ( front); Focal 130 KRC ( rear); JL Audio 10" sub; door speaker adaptors and sub-box being built by Mr. Marv; Metra Harnesses with speedwire all set to "plug-n-play".

You seem to have some knowledge re Focal speakers. I really don't understand the "technical" lingo re car audio systems. I called Audio Control just to make sure I get everything plugged in appropriately. They were telling me, IF FRONT speakers are stronger/fuller range then to put into Channel 3 input of LOC and put REAR speakers into Channel 1 or Main input on LOC. Does this make sense to you or are you able to determine which one is stronger/fuller based on the specs online?? Really appreciate any input you have!

REAR speakers link
    http://www.focal-america.com/product/130-krc/

Front/tweeters
    http://www.focal-america.com/product/130-kr/

4. Jun 1, 2016 at 8:19 AM
    truckindirt

truckindirt [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Quad Cab
    Front speakers are usually the set with separate sweaters and woofers. You get a "fuller" range with separating the 2 speakers. Coaxial are usually the rears or fillers as most would say. If you are asking which is fuller among your speakers...

Thunder likes this.
  5. Jun 1, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    When attending a well done concert you face the soundstage. Its one reason some systems are designed with emphasis in the front. Not everyone cares about surround sound, not all music sounds good in surround sound.

Not critiquing your choice or opinions, just making another observation.

6. Jun 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM
    Brick_26

Brick_26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blaine
    KEDW
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD Sport
    Things and stuff
    I just installed mine this past weekend. My amp bracket was also backwards from the video which kind of annoyed me at first. I figured it was a factory mess up, but it looks like that might not be so. I also agree, the wiring did seem a bit cheap, but overall it didn't kill me. I did laugh a bit when I saw the fuse housing and fuse. My light bar wiring kit that cost 5 bucks seemed to be higher quality.

Overall I'm happy though.

7. Jun 2, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    toyomaniac71

toyomaniac71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB Sport
    Toytec 2.0 Boss 2" lift; Fuel Boost 18"; Nitto G2 275/65/18; BAMF Grille
    Appreciate the feedback!