1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Bed Extender Install Write-Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adrenaline66, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Hey, thanks for that posting those photos ... all I needed was the number for the mounting kit ... :D ... already had a new Tundra bed extender from a previous Tundra.

Thanks again ... :D

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    I'm looking to put and extender into my truck. I have a full bed already with my 2 tool boxes. I'm looking for the measurement from the inside of the tail gate to the furthest point into the bed. I have 21.5 inches to the second box. The jack probably wont work in it's present position.

IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:42 AM
    2012 Tacoma

2012 Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Illinois/Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    Undercover Classic, TRD Skidplate, Wet Okoles
    Can anybody confirm whether the bed extender will fit under an Undercover Classic Bed Cover on a 2012?

4. Jan 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    BUMP

Someone? Maybe, please, give me that measurement on how far into the bed the extender extends into the bed?

5. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    adrenaline66

adrenaline66 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Northern Virginia/D.C. Area
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    I measured the extender: From the tailgate it extends 22" into the bed.

By your measurements, you may be able to make it fit by moving the brackets towards the tailgate. Might be worth looking into. Just my $0.02.

6. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    AIRAID sealed CAI w/Dry Filter, Flowmaster Cat Back SS Exhaust, Demello Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, BAK-FLIP Solid Tonneau Cover w/Ladder Racks and Bike Carrier.
    My guess is yes. I measured my extender up from the bottom, it is 14.5". I have a BakFlip Hard cover installed and I have about 4" of clearance. Of course I have to open the cover to flip the extender out, but no issues.

7. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    adrenaline66

Member:
    First Name:
    Dante
    Vehicle:
    11 DBL CAB TRD Off Road
    As for the jack, it may still work mounted as is: The brackets and pivots push the extender in a little and the thickness of your Hi-Lift may fit. The clearance on each side of the extender to the side of the bed is 3/4".

8. Jan 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

9. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    maxboi

maxboi MAXBOI

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SODA CITY
    Vehicle:
    2011 White D'Cab OR 4wd
    76 FJ horns, Weathertechs, Backup Camera anytime switch, Fogs anytime, Clamp & Washer tailgate, Diff Breather,

[​IMG]

a little over 22" is what i have

10. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    tacotime2012

tacotime2012 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off road
    none yet
    I measure 22" as well. When rotating the extender in and out of the bed, it actually extends out about another inch, so you would need a minimum of 23" to clear. That's with the tailgate closed and tape measure on the bed floor.

11. Jan 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    Man, you guys are great. That's the stuff right there that makes this forum so cool. Those are exactly the measurements that I was looking for. By what I' m reading and seeing from the photos, don't think it's going to work in my crowded bed. Thanks to all that took time for pics and answers. Bummer, I wanted that to work. Everything is already slap as far forward as it can go.

12. Jan 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    2012 Tacoma

2012 Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Illinois/Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    Undercover Classic, TRD Skidplate, Wet Okoles

Thanks for measuring, the Undercover has some support webs that hang lower than the top but that would be plenty of clearance

13. Jan 21, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    Agro

Agro Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    Do you guys leave your bed extender in when the tailgate closed? Im worried someone might steal it. They would probably jack the extender, not have the mounting hardware and later throw it away. Wonder about locking it in ?

14. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:22 AM
    MobileMike

MobileMike Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Simsbury, CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab PreRunner
    Check out my custom version of the bed extender:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nice-rack.html

There is a drawing that adds to the understanding of where the bed extender needs to end up in both the open and closed positions. In my case, I also was worried about how it fit a specific type of plastic storage bin, the Rubbermaid Action Packer

CampTruck likes this.
  15. Mar 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    TX5150

TX5150 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 TX Edition
    When you all used the template did you line the bottom of it up with the top of the plastic bed liner, or the metal truck bed underneath the bed liner?

Installing mine soon
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  16. Mar 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I did mine to the plastic bed. Works fine. Check your template with your harware and see if the holes line up before you drill. Mine were off, thank god I checked.

17. May 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    When I traded in my Frontier for my Tacoma I kept the bed extender. They all seem to universal but does anyone know for sure if a Nissan bed extender will work on a Toyota? If so then I'll just use the part # from the the above posted picture and get the hardware kit. Forgot how handy extender was until I was shoving stuff in the cab on our last camping trip, lol.

18. Jun 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

19. Jun 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  20. Jun 23, 2013 at 4:13 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I used to drive with my tail gate down all the time, and saw others doing the same. I didn't get pulled over and ticketed for it, nor had I ever heard of that law, but I suppose it is for safety reasons due to the impact of a smaller vehicle to the rear of the truck.

To Top