1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oem locking tailgate handle?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mattnatti, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Nov 22, 2015 at 4:43 PM
    ThomasDean

ThomasDean Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Grey Metalic PreRunner
    black leather seats, nerf bars.
    Unfortunately it was done last year and I didn't take pictures. It was pretty easy to disassemble. On the back where the key
    lock mechanism is, you remove a phillips screw, lift that plastic part off, next the piece slides over the lock barrel and has two plastic catches that you spread by prying with a small screw driver, then it slides up and off. Remove the retaining nut and the lock comes out forward. The metal pin that holds the handle can now be removed by pulling it across and out. I took a piece of metal fence strapping, it has small holes in it, and can be cut with tin snips. I sized it to fit within the underside and long enough to cut off the top for the little tab. The hardest part is marking the tab on the metal piece and cutting it to set flush against the tab itself. Then you have shape and bend it to set flush with interior of the handle itself. Once I formed it to set neatly flush, I used five minute epoxy to hold it in place. The metal tab part might need some grinding or filing, because it must fit back into the slot it came out of, you don't want any friction there. Sorry this is long, but as I said "its pretty easy". I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

Products Discussed in

To Top