1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM microphone wiring

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Falconsfan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Oct 8, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    Falconsfan

Falconsfan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr dcsb v6 4x4 black
    OK so I've searched and it seems no one has really found a way to utilize the factory microphone with an aftermarket head unit, which is only thing keeping me from putting my Sony XAV-AX100, but after our anniversary trip this weekend and using Google maps for navigation with no map to see I'm now wanting to swap it out. So the Sony has a 2.5mm microphone plug so I was thinking I could get a 2.5mm cable and cut it and make connectors to plug into the factory microphone connection but idk what wires are what and from looking don't know why it has more than 2 wires, so anyone know if it's possible and what wires are what? If not maybe someone has an old one I can get so I can experiment with what's what.

2. Oct 8, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Falconsfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OK so researching more about it I stumbled across a post on Toyota tundra forum and the guy got it to work but seems like he just hooked a 2.5mm plug and hooked two of those wires up to two wires going to the factory mic. Then he opened up the factory mic, soldered two wires on the mic where it connects to circuit board and attached those wires to the two wires on the plug that he attached the 2.5mm plug on the radio side of the harness. So what I don't know does the mic have separate plug at the top under the headliner/console so it can be unplugged without removing all the wiring down to the radio? If so I'm going to see if I can find one someone removed or from eBay and try this hack. If I can get all the components I will document the whole process, so I guess next steps are to remove console with mic and check it out.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Mezzanine likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    xwrx

xwrx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I am also looking to use the OEM mic and installing the same stereo (xav-ax100) in my '13 DCSB TRD Off-Road. From the documentation I've seen, it looks like pins 4, 5, 6, and 19 from the 28-pin connector are used by the factory stereo for the mic. Removing the overhead cover and unplugging the mic from its very short harness reveals the 4 wires connecting to the mic...

[​IMG]

After opening the mic casing you can see 2 wires going to mic...

[​IMG]

My next step is to try to find out what wires from the mic connector map to pins 5 and 19 on the 28-pin connector behind the stereo.

dlo1771 and DVexile like this.
  4. Dec 12, 2017 at 4:12 AM
    Strxn

Strxn Active Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    '10 BSP DCSB 4x4
    You could get in contact with @Kyleinator and see when this becomes available maybe

5. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    Falconsfan

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just my two cents but I would tap black and white wires from the connector straight to the black and white wires that go to the mic, on the other end attach a 3.5mm or 2.5mm(whatever your head unit uses)plug to the black and white wires at the radio connector and see if it works that way.
    I would like to try this but just haven't swapped head units yet.

6. Dec 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    Nick_Taco

Nick_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB OR 4x4 Auto
    Subbed, this is what is keeping me from upgraded because I've found the stock microphone works better than the aftermarkets. I also like its hidden location.

7. Jan 21, 2018 at 4:12 AM
    Atomic

Atomic Master Cylinder

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Any updates? I'm nearly done putting my new Joying unit in. The external mic is last step, but prefer this option if possible.

8. Jan 21, 2018 at 10:56 AM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
  9. Jan 21, 2018 at 8:22 PM
    xwrx

xwrx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Pins 5 and 19 did map to the black and white wires in the mic harness. So I pulled the leads from the factory mic off the circuit board and tested both the factory mic and the one that came with my Sony unit. The factory one was far too quiet, so i soldered in the Sony mic, packed it into the overhead console and was done with it with a factory look. Here are a couple more pictures that might help...

This is the mic harness that is easily accessible after removing the overhead console.

[​IMG]

This is the harness adapter with pins 5 and 19 (the two green ones on the left) pinned out.

[​IMG]

DVexile likes this.
  10. May 27, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    jy8466

jy8466 New Member

Member:
    Just wondering how did it work out for you? I have a '12 Tundra and just put a head unit with the same problem and been re-searching a MIC that will my factory MIC and my tundra mic has the same pins 4 5 6 & 19 and the MIC is the same. If it worked how can I get those harness?

11. Jun 26, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Gjr003

Gjr003 Well-Known Member

Member:
    @MESO

Is this something you could mass produce? An adapter to use the factory mic on an aftermarket head unit?

12. Jul 3, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    MassAppeal16

MassAppeal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carrollton, KY
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD MGM DCSB
  13. Dec 14, 2019 at 1:13 PM
    travisklein

travisklein New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    Just trying to understand. Ok so...

1) you pulled the 2 leads going off the circuit board that lead to the mic

2) you connected the factory mic (that you just pulled off the circuit board) plugged directly into pins 5 and 19 to the stereo

3) you didn't like how quiet that sounded

4) you soldered the sony mic onto the circuit board, where you pulled the factory mic leads off of?

I can't understand what else you could have done, because the sony mic does not need any soldering to connect to its own headunit

if it's not too much trouble could you explain how you have it connected where it sounds good.

I'm actually trying to do the exact opposite, I want to keep my stock scion head unit, that has the same mic you have. But I want to upgrade my mic because people say it's not that clear.

I just don't know which wires are what, and if I need to use my circuit board or if I can just bypass it and use any old lavalier mic.

ty ty ty ty

14. Mar 24, 2020 at 9:35 AM
    VTcamry

VTcamry New Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM
    HOOTERBIRD

HOOTERBIRD Yeah You Right !

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport, 4X4
    Interested to see how this works out

16. Apr 10, 2020 at 4:20 AM
    VTcamry

VTcamry New Member

Member:
    I've got three of the four wires figured out. Black and white are the microphone wires. Red is +5 volts (I bought a power supply for that).

So the only mystery is the yellow DET wire, which I suspect is a detector wire used to detect sound and turn the mic on or off. I have not figured out the JVC pin for that wire.

I am frankly amazed that using the factory mic isn't just standard for replacement radios, but I am still looking for the pin for the yellow DET wire. I have a JVC KW-V950BW. So far, no help on this from JVC or Crutchfield. Fellows?

dlo1771 likes this.
  17. Jul 2, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    Jackburton09

Jackburton09 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    2013 ford f150
    Firgured I would chime in.

I just spent an ungodly long time diagnosing a Microphone problem on a 2020 Tacoma which should be close to the same wiring.

If you have SOS then it has a telematics unit located in between the mic and the radio. In that case the odd wire out you are looking to identify should be a shielded ground. Or it is the sense wire that goes straight to the radio.

To be sure I could pull the wiring diagram and let you know if still interested

Anyways, you are correct with the identification of the other wires. 5v is the appropriate voltage. I measured 4.65 on this Tacoma but manual stated 4v-5v. And those wires should be all you need to make the factory mic work.

If I remember correctly there is a connector in the driver side A pillar where you will see those wires. Possibly easier access.

18. Aug 26, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    dlo1771

dlo1771 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-road MT
    I'm currently trying to figure out how to the the OEM mic to work with my aftermarket head unit....

Is there a reason you didn't continue to use the 5v line coming from Pin 4 on the R31 (red cable)? *edit, because it doesn't go to anything. I got confused, fairly new to this kind of thing*

Also, from what I've read the the yellow cable must be the detection signal line which appears to go to Pin 6 on the R31, not sure how important it is.

I'm just not sure how if/how you could pin that out for a 2.5mm connector.... Just use the Black and White that go to Pin 5 and Pin 29 on the R31 like you did, and leave the red cable as is?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  19. Oct 28, 2020 at 7:04 AM
    prl99

prl99 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    pacific northwest
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma double-cab TRD
    Finally seeing some updates. I have a 2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-road with standard audio system. I replaced that with an Alpine iLX-107 purchased from Crutchfield along with all their wiring harnesses. I have everything working except for the microphone (using external mic) and the backup camera, which is located in the driver's inside mirror. I bought the Tacoma wiring manuals (online from somewhere) and here's the wiring for at least the 2013 Tacoma pertaining to the OEM microphone. I did find an article showing where a connector is for these wires in the driver's kick panel. Easy to get to.

Question: Assuming the OEM microphone is a condenser microphone. This means it needs auxiliary power to work, correct? More or less like needing a pre-amp. Would it work if I leave the 5V+ connected to the existing circuitry and just patch pins 5 and 19 into either the stereo or the RAC connector adaptor going into the head unit?

Here's the electrical drawing. Mine shows two white wires on the diagram instead of a yellow wire. I'm sure there is another diagram showing more. I'm also including the documentation of each applicable pinout (plug R15) although this one might be for the navigation system. Hopefully this helps.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.45.55 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.00.47 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.00.54 AM.jpg

20. Jan 10, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    Pacmanpc

Pacmanpc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    how did you go with this PRL99?

I have a Diff model Toyota and the wiring seems to be exactly the same.

I have already installed an aftermarket Head unit and the supplied external mic is crap so I'm trying to wrap my head around trying to keep the oem mic without having to cut any wires.

From what I understand I can just run some wires from the black and white connectors on the mic amp circuit board and attach a 3.5mm male jack on it? does it require the power to function as well or can it be ignored?

would be great if I could tap into the wires already in the car instead of having to run new ones but I'm unsure about how to go about it.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of thing but any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top