1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Oil Filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jcayce, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jul 18, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    jcayce

jcayce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I'm about to stock up on some oil filters, a Fumoto valve, and some synthetic oil. Does anyone know if there is any real performance difference between the Japanese oil filter and the one made in Malysia?

Link to Japanese oil filter:
    http://www.newtoyotaparts.com/product/?id=2217

Is there any justification for the price? Also, does anyone use the Japanese filters?

2. Jul 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Those are nice filters, but I couldn't put down $14 for one. The Malaysian made ones are good enough for me.

3. Jul 18, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    No performance difference. The Japanese filter has a better filtering media (synthetic sponge type media) and better silicone anti drain back valve. The malaysian one will have a lower quality media (cotton/paper element) and nitrile rubber anti drain back valve. IMO the Japanese filter is a nice filter but overkill for our 5K mi required oil change interval. If you were going to run something like Amsoil for a 20K oil change interval, than I would get the Japanese one. The Malaysian filter is decent and should suit your needs. Personally I prefer Napa Gold's. I use the 1516 since it's oversized, but lately I have been unsing a Purolator Pureone PL20195. Both the Purolator and Napa both have a synthetic filtering media and higher quality silicone anti drain back valve. The Wix will run you about $6 and some change, and the Purolator can be had for about $5. Both filters are high quality.

To Top