1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM roof rack baskets?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by theflyingtosher, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    theflyingtosher

theflyingtosher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tosh
    So. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver Streak DC
    3" Lift and Level, Brute Force Intake, OEM Roof rack, TW diy BHLM.
    I searched and couldnt find if this is another thread or not, but does anyone know if there are cargo baskets that fit the OEM roof rack? or if there's a kit in existence to mount it to our rack?

[​IMG]

2. Aug 15, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Rackattack.com has a video on that basket. M.O.A.B (Mother of all Baskets it's called). The site says that it will mount to MOST factory roof bars. I eyeballed this just this morning. You can also get an extender that makes the basket bigger (longer)

Looks pretty sweet.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-690xt-moab-basket.asp?item_type=5 (no endorsement, just suggested )

Scroll through the description and the video link is at the bottom

3. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    theflyingtosher

Member:
    First Name:
    Tosh
    So. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver Streak DC
    thanks for the link, that's exactly what i was wondering... I just ordered the stock roof rack because i like the stowaway crossbars, but i need a basket to carry alot of equipment for work and play both.

4. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Front 5100's @2.5", Rear 5125's with AAL. Light Racing UCA's, Factory hood deflector, Sirius Sportster 5, TRD air filter, Weathertech's f&r, "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I had a Yakima "Loadwarrior" and my intention was to attach it to my factory rack. I bought it while away but when I got home I discovered that the span between the factory bars (front to back) was too narrow for the mounts. I would have needed the extension to make it work because the factory crossbars are static and can't move when engaged......Just an FYI.

5. Aug 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Front 5100's @2.5", Rear 5125's with AAL. Light Racing UCA's, Factory hood deflector, Sirius Sportster 5, TRD air filter, Weathertech's f&r, "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    What I did was attach my Yakima rack system to the Factory rack and I was able to posistion the Yak bars so they would meet the baskets mounts. In the end I didn't like how high it left the basket sitting so I sold it. Now I have a cap with a rack and I sure wish I still had the basket.:(

[​IMG]

6. Aug 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    elevatedfun

elevatedfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    BSP 07 SR5 doublecab 4x4
    33" nitto terra grapplers, 3" readylift, 17" ultra goliath wheels, TRD seat covers, Huskey floor matts, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, OBX fatboy shift knob, K&N high-flow cleanable airfilter, Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD, Lamin-X yellow fog light covers, Ultragauge
    I want to run a basket set up very similar to this, do you have any suggestions? I also want to be able to mount 4 lights on the front of it and maybe 2 in the back, just if you have any ideas on if your yakrack worked well or if something like the MOAB would work better

7. Aug 15, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    theflyingtosher

Member:
    First Name:
    Tosh
    So. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver Streak DC
    hey squad, you think i'd be better off with the thule rack instead of the factory one? then the m.o.a.b basket will fit properly and not sit so high?

8. Aug 15, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    My thoughts are that a Thule or Yakima rack will sit roughly at the same height as the OEM rack. My problem was that I had the OEM rack and then a system attached to it and then the basket. I preferred the OEM on the cab as opposed to a system that had door clips but it is slightly limited by the fact that it is static. I think what you should do is find the exact measurement of the OEM racks bars when deployed and just be sure the basket will mount properly. As I said, the Yak LW won't work without the extension, I'm not sure about the MOAB or others.

9. Aug 15, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD O/R PreRunner SexyAss Barcelona Red
    TRD Drop-In, TRD Exhaust, OEM Roof Rack, N-Fabs, WeatherTech Liners, LED Interior Lights, Devil Horns Emblem, 2011 Painted Grill, Debadged with Sockmonkey TRD Badging only, Katzkins Leather Int; Next: 5100s/Eibachs
    the roof rack only holds 100 lbs total. i'm not sure how much those baskets weigh. does the basket have to be on the roof? toyota has the cargo crossbars that attach to the tiedowns along the bed. it should be wider than the roof rack crossbars and the basket should fit perfect. i have seen a pic of it on here awhile back.

10. Aug 15, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Good point Judd, and I have a set of those as well. I have seen baskets mounted with these and it seems to work great as well....cool looking too!

Sorry if I've come across as an attention whore in this thread, I'm just trying to help.:eek:

[​IMG]

11. Aug 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    squad314

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport+Leather 4x4
    Closer look at how the bars mount......They are the exact same spec as the rail system as witnessed by my trying a cleat on. Seems to me that I paid about $140 or so for the set of 2.

[​IMG]

12. Aug 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    theflyingtosher

Member:
    First Name:
    Tosh
    So. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver Streak DC
    good info on the rails, i wish i had room to mount the basket in my bed instead. I actually did find a basket that mounts to the oem crossbars. Its from BajaRack and i found it on TRDParts4U in the offroad catalog, its a bit more expensive than the other baskets but when you calculate in the other rack/rail/crossbars needed to install a diff basket, it evens out.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8393

13. Sep 4, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    subscribed. very interested in doing this!

14. Sep 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    deeznutz

deeznutz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Holy hell! $450?!!!! That's also after spending $220 on the OEM roof rack. I would consider it if it was around $300 :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sep 24, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
    Does anyone know if you can mount a basket directly to the welded in nuts under the rain gutter?

16. Sep 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    huntark03

huntark03 I'd rather be hunting!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maumelle, AR
    Vehicle:
    2005 Limited Tundra DC 4X4
    Spidertrax Wheel Spacers aFe Pro Dry Drop in Air Filter Weathertech Liners Bilstein 5100s w/ OME 885 coils and ToyTec 1.5" AALs Light Racing UCAs
  17. Sep 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    +1

Having an Access Cab...I've pulled the rubber strips and wondered the same thing. Since I don't have a DC and can't fit the factory roof rack...AND I already own a Yakama basket (off my old pathfinder)...I'd like to build a system that will attach directly to these welded nuts.

So...Can it be done? Anybody have pics?

HOPE SO!

18. Sep 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR (on the way)
    Does your truck (access cab) have the welded nuts in the rain channel? I always assumed that only the double cabs had those nuts in there

19. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Aw NUTS!!! Just checked...the answer is NO...the access cabs do NOT have the welded nuts in the channel (at least my 05 doesn't).

So...Now...what other option is available...outside of the j-clip type used by Yakima and Thule???

20. Jun 29, 2016 at 1:18 AM
    Healyj7

Healyj7 2010TRD Cape Cod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cape cod MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab...
    Led third brake light All bulbs changed to LED Blue... Bed cover Extra tie downs in bed Borla 3' aftermarket excuast Blacked out front grill Smoked front lights White turn/running lights Bed security Mod 2 inch front lift and level with bilstein front and rear shocks... 1 Inch wheel spacers BF Goodrich AT tires 270/75/17
    I have a 2010 TRD double can do they sell cargo baskets that attach directly to the roof without having to get a roof rack bars and all?

To Top