1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Roof Rack?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 503TRD, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    503TRD

503TRD [OP] Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Hey, I'm looking for a Tacoma and one I might go look at has the OEM roof rack, I was just wondering if I would be able to take that off. Or is it bolted on or how is it connected.

It is a silver Tacoma with the rack that's in the picture.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    Let me know if you buy the truck and want to sell the roof rack. I'm in the market for one. I just bought a Tacoma without one, and need it for my kayak carrier.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    503TRD

503TRD [OP] Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Front Bilstein 5100's Set @ 2.5", Rear Bilstein 5100's, Rear TSB, Rear 1.5" ToyTec AAL, 1" CB Drop Kit, N-Fab Nerf Steps, WeatherTech All Weather Rubber Floor Mats, Grillcraft Grill(Upper/Lower), Blacked Out AC Condenser/Radiator, Tinted Front Windows, Vision X H4 SuperWhite Headlights, Halo H10 Solaris Yellow 45w 3000k Fog Lights, K&N Air Filter, Removed Front Mud Flaps, 18" MagnaFlow Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, TRD Logo Leather Shift Knob, LED License Plate Lights, LED Interior Lights, LED Reverse Lights, LED Auxiliary Reverse Lights, Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Redline Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, Foglights Anytime, ScanGauge II, 13" Stubby Antenna, Flyzeye Design LED Light, Cobra 19 CB Radio/Firestik II Antenna, 18x9 Raceline Raptors, LT275/70/18 Hankook Dynapro ATm, 1.25" Sidertrax Wheel Spacers, Heated Front Seats, LED Tailgate Bar, 11" Double Row LED Bar Behind Grill
    Okay I will let you know!

But does anybody know if these are easy to remove? Will they leave marks? How are they connected to the truck?

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    bigred_d

bigred_d Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    Someone else posted a link to installation instructions on here. Have a look at those.

Basically it's bolted on, but you break little seals to get at the weld nuts, and you have to snap off some plastic pieces to get the rails in. You can't un-snap the plastic pieces, but you will need some replacement plastic strips to cover everything back up. You _might_ be able to trade with someone.

;D

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    STR8_BEAST

STR8_BEAST Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    HB, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 PRERUNNER TRD OR
    MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST, SOUND SYSTEM, KENWOOD DNX 7140, WINDOW TINT, REAR TSB, FRONT COIL SPACER, SATOSHI MOD, BHLM, WHITE CALIPERS, CB RADIO W/4FT FIRESTIK, MAGLITE MOD
    If you take off the OEM roof rack, I'd be willing to trade you for the seals that go there

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Installation Instructions Attached.

Attached Files:

7. Nov 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    gior3131

gior3131 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    wheels, tires, PopNLock, Extang Solidfold... More to follow
    Thanks for the post, good info.

Does anyone know how much taller the OEM rack makes the taco? I have a 3" lift on my 2012 (and limited parking height), so I want to make sure that it won't create a problem. Does it stick up any higher than the back/center antenna?

I can always take the ski rack off after my trip and before parking, but won't want to do that with the rack itself...

Lastly, does anyone know the spread between the two storable crossbars? I was told almost 48"?

Thanks folks...

8. Nov 21, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    bigred_d

bigred_d Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    10 DC V6 TRD
    The bars are 43" apart, and the highest point of the bar is 2.75" which is right around the back where the satellite antenna is.

9. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Suspension: Icon coilovers set at 2.5", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in, 3* shims, carrier bearing drop, Bilstein 5100 B110 rear shocks Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, eyelids, tinted tails and third brake light, vinyl armrest in doors and center console Lighting: fogs only mod, bed lights in pockets, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights
    Ever thought about over the bed rack like this. Then you would not need to remove when entering parking garage. This is my setup. Thule top tracks with TK1 feet and square 65" cross bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nov 22, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    gior3131

gior3131 Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    wheels, tires, PopNLock, Extang Solidfold... More to follow
    @ bigred_d: Thanks, that is helpful...

@ KeithB: Nice ride... I (perhaps unfortunately) already bought and installed the Extang Solidfold, which covers the bed rails too much (I think) to do an over the bed installation. Though, you are making me wonder if I can install it on top of the Extang by screwing it into the metal.

11. Nov 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    Does the cover roll up under those rails. I am in the market for a bedrack and that's would be a awesome way to mount it over my cover

To Top