1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Runningboard help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacojimbo, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    tacojimbo

tacojimbo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner Longbed
    Hi, I'm new to this site, and have a question to start with. I am thinking of installing some oem runningboards on my truck, but I haven't physically seen them as of yet. Can anyone tell me what the measurements are? I want to know how much lower it is from the body..I mean is it low enough to assist in getting in the truck? Also, how wide is the step? Any help or pics would be great...Thanks!

2. Sep 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    sdsurfer

sdsurfer @ODNAREM life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirk
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD 4X4
    5100s/OME 888s. Dakar leaf pack. Total Chaos UCAs. DeMello Sliders. BAMF Recessed Grille. Prinsu Cabrack and Toprack.
    Here is a picture of my truck. I added the running boards shortly after purchasing the truck and love them. Definately makes it easier to get in and out.[​IMG]

3. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    The flat black running boards are high and tight - they don't extend below the frame at all. They basically only cover the pinch welds. They stick out maybe an inch more than the factory fender flares. Just enough to give you some door ding protection.

I got mine for $150 off craigslist.

I've also seen some older factory silver running boards that look like a significnatly different and more bulky design. Do not like them.

4. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I have running boards on mine not crazy about the look. I got mine off TW they stuck out to far for me so I cut 2in off the brackets to make em flush with the finder flares. The 95 yo mom in law needs em as do the little kid's. I'm still on the hunt for bolt on sliders at the right price. They just look better to me..... Jim

5. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Here are some pics of mine, they came on the truck from the dealer and are about 3-4 inches wide. I must say they are kinda awkward compared to rails I've had on previous trucks. Kinda hard to explain but they are mounted so close to the level of the cab that it's almost like they serve no purpose as you still have to step up as high as w/o them. Then once you are on them when transitioning to the seat it's like you are too high. But if you try to not use them, they stick out too far and it's awkward to get to the seat. My step-daughter hates them. I do like the fact that it's hard for a car to ding my doors with them. I park in the garage and my wife's car can not hit the truck, only the rails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sep 24, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I have the same ones ^^ The dogs and grand kids use them to get in.

7. Sep 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    tacojimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks alot for the replies to my question, they're very helpful. I was kinda thinking that the oem boards ARE too high to be of any assistance, but wasn't sure. I've been considering some Smittybilt steps, as they are lower and stick out enough to prevent door dings. I like the look of the oem ones, but wish they were more functional. I guess I'll have to go look at the Smittybilt ones b/4 I finally decide. Thanks all...this is a great site with lots of info...Jim

8. Sep 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Don't take it the wrong way, mine are functional, but they are a bit awkward at first. I've gotten used to them now though. Maybe you can find one at the dealership with the factory's so you can see them for yourself?

9. Sep 24, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Cape Codder

Cape Codder Native Son

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Hangin' Out in the Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab 4.0L V6 Auto - Silverstreak Mica
    SOS Concepts Sliders waiting for POR-15 Rust Abatement (Spring 2016), OEM Silver Tube Steps 'til then OME 2.5" Suspension w/885 Coils & Dakars / LR UCA's w/SpecRide Bushings / Lifetime Alignment Wheeler's "Super Bump" Bump Stops Front & Rear / OME Carrier Bearing Drop / 2.5° Axle Shims (Eliminated Vibration) Moog Greaseable LCA Cam Bolts / ToyTech Sway Bar Relocate Kit / Stainless Steel Extended Brake Lines (Front & Rear) TIRES - LT275/70R17 (32.2") Firestone Destination A/T's (and Matching Spare) mounted on (5) 17”x8” (4.5” BS) Machined Aluminum Alloy, with Light Gunmetal Accents, Konig SixShooter Wheels with Hofmann Anthracite Adhesive Power Weights / McGard 65002 Chrome SplineDrive Lug Nuts / Cloned Schraeder EZ Sensor 33000 TPMS SNOW TIRES - Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - P255/75-17 (32.1") mounted on Stock TRD Sport Wheels (5.5” BS) w/BORA 1" Wheel Spacers (to = 4.5” BS), Wheels Locks & OEM Lug Nuts Wheel Master 36" Stainless Steel Mesh Spare Tire Inflator/Checker attached to Rear Bumper / Spare Tire Lock TRD Skid Plate / Husky Mud Flaps / Redline Tuning Hood Struts / UltraGauge / Frame Hole Plugs / OEM Chrome Exhaust Tip Salex SLX102 - '05-'13 Tacoma GloveBox & Console Organizers Combo Set / GRID-IT (Console Cover Organizer) Color Matched SATOSHI Grill w/ Individual Letters Toyota Emblem (from ‘86 Toyota Land Cruiser) Hella Fogs on Elusive Elements Light Bar mounted behind Grill / Relocated Horns & Outside Temperature Sensor SilverStar zXe Headlights / SilverStar Fogs / Upper & Lower Color Matched Eyelids / LED's @ Dome, Maps, Lic Plate & 3rd Brake / 866 Foglight Lamps for Back-Up Lights WeatherTech Headlight & Foglight Protection / AutoBahnd RoadBlock (3M) Paint Protection System on Front End & Tailgate Avid Hitch Step Color Match Powdercoated / Avid LightBar Color Match Powdercoated / DIY Front Plate Holder mounted on AVID Light Bar (NO Bumper Holes) Emblems DeBadged / CBoy808's Silver OME EMU, Medium Gray Mall Rated, TRD Skid & Matte Black US Flag Decals SockMonkey Medium Gray Shadow Only Bedside, Door, Hood Scoop & Tailgate Decals DeBadged Leer 100LX Cap w/ Adventure Pkg including Thule 48” & 60” AeroBar Locking Removable Racks, Removable Front Window & Rear Door Remote Lock Charcoal/Blk Wet Okoles (front & rear) w/Front Seat Back Waterproof Zippered Pockets, Front Pistol Pockets & Seat Heaters / Drop Stop Seat Wedge Fillers 6 CD Changer w/SubWoofer (TRD Sport OEM) / BluLogic Hands Free (Blue Tooth) / Lutron Maestro Pico Remote Control for Driveway Floods Pro-Fit & Pro-Clip Device Holders for Cell Phone & GPS / Beltronics RX 65 Blue Detector / Garmin 885T GPS 30% Tint on Driver/Passenger Windows / WeatherTech Dark Front Window Deflectors / AutoMate AM-7 Alarm w/Remote Start WeatherTech FloorLiners (Front & Rear) / WeatherTech All Weather Mats (Over Front Liners) TRD "Offroad" Front Recovery Hook (Color Matched) / 2" x 30' & 3" x 30' Recovery Straps ELITE OffRoad 2" Receiver Hitch Shackle / Daystar Black Shackle Isolator / LifeLong Locks Class 5 Locking Hitch Pin Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor / Rockford 12,000mah, 200/400 Amp, Portable Power Source & Mini Jump Starter Pop&Lock PL5305 Manual Tailgate Lock w/Color Matched Handle / Driver's Door Keytechniques Keyhole Cover OEM Bed Mat / 4 Extra Military Issue Bed "D" Rings Attached with Bed Bolts / 4 Extra Bed Rail Tiedowns & 2 Mini Tiedowns H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG250C 2.5lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher and Extreme Duty Quick Release Bracket (Mounted in Bed) H3R Performance Halguard Halotron® 1 (Clean Agent) - HG100C 1.4lb Chrome Fire Extinguisher (In Cab Back Door Pocket) H3R Performance MX500R - 5lb Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher w/ Vehicle Mount (On Cab Back Floor, Not Yet Mounted in Bed) ResQMe GB0-RQMTWIN-O Orange Keychain Version of the Original LifeHammer (Hanging Within Reach in Cab) FogLight Anytime / Differential Breather / A/C Condensate Drain / Tailgate Hoseclamp Anti-Theft Mods Toyota Extra Care Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) – 8 Year / 125,000 Miles TSB's: Transmission TSB / Blower Motor TSB / Steering Intermediate Shaft Bushing TSB 90L Accelerator Pedal D0L Recall / Driver & Passenger Seat Belts Recall / Inspect Wheels & Tires "BOB" Recall The “TW EMPTY UR WALLET MOD” and a Pile of Stuff Waitin' for Install
    I had the dealership install the OEM tube steps at purchase
    quite pricey installed.
    Like the look OK, but the location issue is the same as the OP's.
    May install sliders in the future, but they have the the same issue, if not worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below are N-Fab Nerf Bars. May be an alternative as they are lower and protrude outward.
    If you plan offroading, they are not a good option for obvious reasons.

[​IMG]

CC

10. Sep 25, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I had the ones like cape codder above (not nfabs but oem). They were helpful using my thule roof rack and at times getting into the truck.
    Even after 4 yrs, when I took them off no rust! This was in VT. Could not believe how well they held up!

6 bolts per side mount to factory holes. Good luck with your purchase. I am going with either westin or gorhino on my tundra.

11. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    bryan83taco

bryan83taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4
    I took off my OEM tube steps the first month I bought my taco,sold them on clist. They are ugly in my opinion. One of these days when the Mustang is almost "done" I will invest in some sliders

12. Sep 25, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    tacojimbo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again for the additional comments and pics...they're really helpful. I'm leaning on going with the Smittybilt stainless, but first i'll go to the store and get a look at them...You guys are great! Jim

13. Dec 21, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    FTB530

FTB530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,
    I bought the same ones and installed my self,EASY to install, four bolts dont pay a dealer to do this,i DONT LIKE MINE.

14. Dec 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    holy thread revival Batman!

i don't know why there is so much hate on the hood scoop..it looks badass!

nice pics and nice taco!!!

15. Dec 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    FTB530

FTB530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,
    Thread revival comes form ME using the search function for info on certain topics and not having to make a new post:D, i like the hood scoops ,but i dont have it on my 2005.

Products Discussed in

To Top