1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Shock Replacement?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by larryde09, Sep 14, 2010.

?

OEM Shock Replacement

Poll closed Oct 14, 2010.
  1. Rancho 5000 series

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Monroe OEM type

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. KYB OEM type

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Billstein only

22 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Sep 14, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I did some searching and didn't really find an answer...

I'm shopping for new shocks and might attempt to do it myself (everyone here says it's pretty easy). I'm looking to save some money, I'm not looking to lift/level my truck, and I only occassionally drive a 2-track (the stock shocks performed great for my offroading habits). However, I would like to get a slightly improved road ride over the stock shocks/struts if possible. Note: I have an '06 2.7L 4wd, so I don't have any Billsteins from the factory either.

I know Billsteins are highly recommended, but I think they are pricey since I'm not lifting/leveling. I've read bad things about Rancho on 1st Gens, but what about 2nd Gens? Aren't they upgraded Monroe shocks, or are they more meant for offroading? I also got prices on KYB, but I've never heard of them.

Note: Monroe/Rancho has a "buy 3 get one free" right now, so that's on my mind too.

Thoughts, experiences, etc...

2. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You get what you pay for.....

A shocks performance on a 1st gen will be similar on a 2nd gen. Ranchos are horrible - unless they improved over the years. I had a set on my 1st gen and they didn't last very long at all and one I replaced leaked. I wouldn't buy them again.

Do you realize that the front shocks aren't the same as the rear? The front struts might not be included in with that *buy 3 deal*. Struts are more expensive than the regular rear shocks.

Do some research on OME (Old Man EMU) - they're also a good name but probably a bit on the pricey side.

Also, look at Doetsch Tech. I was really impressed with them on our trail rig (Jeep). The Prerunner shocks (with the built-in bump stops) were very good. They're inexpensive also. You'll have to do some searching about part numbers and stuff....I don't believe anyone here runs them.

3. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    If you are looking for a good shock at a low price lot's of guys here have their stock TRD shocks with few miles for low low prices.
    Yes I have a couple sets:)

4. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Yeah, just about all of the monroe brand shocks/struts are on sale. It's a manufacturer's mail in rebate and you get the cheapest one free...so I'd basically get one of the rear shocks free.

I was under the impression Rancho's are a higher line in the monroe brand. Is that true? Do Rancho's perform good on the highway or are they meant for off road?

5. Sep 14, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
  6. Sep 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I honestly can't remember how they drove onroad. It was a truck and rode like a truck. At the time, I had the Rancho 1.5" lift coils and and rancho AAL/shocks in the rear. I eventually got rid of all of that and went with 2" OME lift coils/struts with re-arched springs/OME rear shocks.
    I will say, the OME rode much better.

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    Your best bet is to pick up a set of slightly used TRD Bilsteins on the classifieds board. You will probably also find some front ones with the springs still mounted.

8. Sep 25, 2010 at 10:56 PM
    josem3

josem3 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray TRD Sport PreRunner V6 2WD
    Bilsteins always. I have it in my Tacoma Sport(OEM) and my BMW M3. Nothing else!

9. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM
    tiger955

tiger955 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City
    Vehicle:
    06 Access 4WD
    trd suspension
    I bought a used 06 2.7 4wd last spring and the original stock shocks were way too bouncy for me even on mild 2 tracks. I got a slightly used set of factory TRD Bilsteins on ebay and it made a world of difference in my truck. Much better ride and handling on the pavement as well as much more comfortable and better control off-road. I only do mild off road stuff, mostly 2 tracks with an occasional wash-out, nothing serious.
    BTW, the last set of KYB's I put on were barely better than worn out OEM shocks, waste of money.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Sep 26, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    gobias

gobias as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    I voted for the Billys. Even getting a set of Billy HDs will be an improvement over stock.

Used to have Ranchos on my K5 Blazer and I hated them something fierce.

Also had KYBs on my Acura. They were okay but wore out really fast.

I have OME on my truck now and I love them. Well worth the money.

11. Sep 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    You want some TRD Sport shocks for free? I have the ones I took off my truck so I could add my lift. They are a little dirty, and have a little bit of corrosion on the yellow paint, but work just fine. The fronts come with the spring, but no top plate or isolator, so you'll have to use what you have, or buy new ones. If you pay for shipping, I'll send them to you.

12. Sep 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    This type of deal is probably the best bang/buck you're gonna get.

13. Sep 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to go w/ the Rancho RS5000's. I can't justify buying the expensive billstein's since I don't need a lift and I don't want to compromise my ball and u joints and ride quality.

I think the Rancho's get a bad name, but my trusted custom auto parts dealer used them for years and swears by them. They provide the cost effective stock improvement I'm looking for. If nothing else, I'll be the test subject and I'll be sure to let you know if I made a foolish decision! See my build for pics of the install.

14. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Just a suggestion but try sears for the rancho's! When I got the monroe's they said the Rancho would give you a much stiffer ride. Plus they were on sale and had free installation....might save you some bucks....

15. Sep 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the note, but I already bought and installed them myself. Sears did offer free installation for the rear shocks, but they were pretty easy to do anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top