1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM spare tire kit wrench or torque wrench?

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by justSomeGirl, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Jun 21, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    In the case that I'm on the trails and I got a flat tire, I'm wanting to be able to replace the tire on my 3rd gen Tacoma. I was wondering, is the wrench that came with the OEM spare tire kit good enough to get the job done or should I look into getting a torque wrench to make sure it's tightened correctly?

Side question: should I also look into getting a tire repair kit to repair the tire instead of replacing it until I get back on pavement?

tacotoe, ohcaltexscar and whatstcp like this.
  2. Jun 21, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Yes to both.

3. Jun 22, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    ohcaltexscar

ohcaltexscar Out of Huckleberry Licorice…

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB SR5 Prerunner
    IM4x4 2.5" NitroGas - Coopers
    x2

Yes to the yes to both.

4. Jun 23, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Haha thanks everyone. I decided to pick up a torque wrench along with a tire repair kit and learn how to use them.

tacotoe and ohcaltexscar like this.
  5. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Yes as long as you're rocking oem wheels. If you get new wheels with more backspacing then the oem lug nut wrench won't work as it'll catch on the tire/wheel. Be sure to also look into getting a portable air compressor that runs off the battery and not the cigarette lighter so you can air up all four tires without it struggling like the viair 88p. It also helps to carry a small piece of 12"x12" scrap plywood 3/4" thick so that the jack doesn't sink or shift too much if you're doing some work on loose dirt/gravel.

6. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    For sure! I actually bought the viair 88p a couple days ago after reading good things about it here on the forums. For the jack, would the OEM one be sufficient for rare use here and there or would you recommend I get something else? I'm also thinking of trying to do tire rotations myself in the future and gonna get some jack stands, but not sure if the OEM jack is okay for things like that also.

7. Jun 23, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    ohcaltexscar

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB SR5 Prerunner
    The OEM jack will work, you’re at stock ride height?
    If you’re going to do your own tire rotations I imagine you’ll get tired of the OEM jack pretty quick though. You could pick up one of those lightweight aluminum jacks from Harbor Freight. Their jacks are one of the few items they actually build well and have great track records.

They have a 1.5 ton or a 2 ton I see these in people’s recovery kits or strapped in the bed all the time because they’re so light. Even out at the drags I see crews running these.

I use their 6 ton jack stands too, never had a problem with them. I don’t get under the truck when it’s up on them just to be extra cautious but for rotating tires you’d be good. Their 3 ton stands don’t have the best reputation, I would avoid those.
    Stands aren’t too expensive though so you may be better off spending a bit more and getting a better set.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  8. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    I'd say it's best to save it for the rare roadside tire change/repair and get yourself a dedicated floor jack for tire rotations like @ohcaltexscar said. The steel jacks are cheaper but they can get quite heavy, which isn't an issue if you're just dragging it around the driveway but I've had to throw it in the bed to help some folks and kind of wished I had splurged a bit more for aluminum which is a lot lighter. Actually going today to buy an aluminum one to just keep in the bed full time. I'd buy from harbor freight as the ones on Amazon are the same quality but double the price. Easier to jack up and down with a few pumps/twist of a handle than cranking up/down on the oem jack. Plus if you stick around here enough then you'll probably end up swapping some things here and there that a jack will make a lot easier.

9. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    If you start doing your own tire rotations and using the proper torque setting every time you'll eventually be able to 'feel' the torque out pretty close. That way you dont have to dedicate extra space & weight to carrying a torque wrench around all the time in the truck. And of course anytime you take a wheel off, remember to give all the lugs another check after 5-10 miles just to make sure everything is properly seated and still tight.

Side note / pet peeve of mine: old fashioned mechanical click-style torque wrenches are always meant to be stored at their lowest setting to ensure accuracy.

10. Jun 23, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Sounds good! Yup I'm at stock ride height, but as @whatstcp mentioned, perhaps that will change in the future lol. Unfortunately I'm in Canada, so we don't have Harbor Freight here. Maybe I'll go down and get one when the borders open up or try to find a Canadian equivalent. Thanks everyone!

tacotoe and whatstcp like this.
  11. Jun 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    ohcaltexscar

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB SR5 Prerunner
    You could try Princess Auto if you have any in your area, I seem to remember them being pretty well priced. A bit more expensive than HF but good quality.
    There were a bunch in Ontario around where I used to go wheeling.

12. Jun 23, 2021 at 4:08 PM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Awesome I do remember seeing some around here, I'll check them out. Thank you!

tacotoe and ohcaltexscar[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:48 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    The OEM tools are totally fine for fixing a flat on the trail. Especially if you’re still stock. I used mine for years until I got aftermarket wheels with different lugs. Even with a lift the stock jack is still fine if you put a few boards underneath to make it reach alittle higher.

To be honest I used my oem jack (with jack stands) working on the truck at home for much longer than I’d like to admit.

A floor jack and torque wrench are really nice for tire rotations at home but alittle overkill for the trail.

tacotoe, justSomeGirl[OP] and SR-71A like this.
  14. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:28 PM
    Speedbird

Speedbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Couch
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD-OR
    Recommend 18"-24" 1/2" drive breaker bar from HF -or- NAPA -or- Teckton. Add a 2-4" 1/2" extension and a 21mm socket. Plenty of room under the rear seats to store it and way easier to change wheels versus OEM wrench. Mix and match from above sources is not bad $ wise. I'm really digging the Carlyle (NAPA) and Williams stuff recently. GREAT value and quality blows the box store stuff away.

(2nd as stated above, carrying a torque wrench in the truck 24/7 is an overkill waste. Save that for home. x2: get a piece of scrap plywood ~12x12, stash it under the passenger floor mat or behind the seat... This will help counteract when you are using the OEM jack and it wants to sink into the ground versus lifting the truck (Ask me how I know LOL....) Contingency plan if you are ever in that situation with say your wifes car: stack all the floor mats on top of each other under the jack, that will work.

15. Jun 24, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    In a real pinch I’ve even stacked some flat rocks under the jack to boost it up on a friends sky high lifted jeep with its tiny stock jack.

another stock jack tip is in the rear lift from the axle not the frame. It’ll get things up high enough much more easily.

16. Jun 24, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Yeah maybe it might be a bit overkill carrying those around with me lol. If I don't carry a torque wrench, how do I know how tight to tighten the lug nuts? I've never changed a tire before so I don't have that second nature feel of it

17. Jun 24, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    If you’re doing a tire change on the trail or even roadside torquing the lugs isn’t critical. Just check them once you either get home or on a long trip somewhere safe.

You don’t want to worry about it on the side of a freeway or on precarious ground.

18. Jun 24, 2021 at 1:14 PM
    ohcaltexscar

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    El Paso, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB SR5 Prerunner
    That is true, always be safe.
    Although a torque wrench with a short extension and socket doesn’t take up much room. That can live under your seat no sweat, like @Speedbird said with the breaker bar. (I also like the Carlyle and Tekton stuff)
    I’ve carried a torque wrench in my vehicle for the last 12 years, I just like using it more than the lug wrench that came in the truck. Once you’re used to it, it doesn’t take any longer than the lug wrench. Just personal preference.

Don’t take our word for it though :rofl: Try it all out at home and find out what you’re comfortable with.

The jack, I mean I don’t even roll around with a full floor jack in my truck. If you’re going on a specific trip it might make the supply list but for the most part that’s a garage tool.

You’re clearly thinking things through and doing your due diligence so you don’t end up in a hairy situation.

19. Jun 24, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    plurpimpin

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Snug them up plus a quarter turn is a pretty good rule of thumb for most fasteners. Where most people run into trouble is overtightening them and breaking studs.

If you've never changed a flat maybe practice in your driveway sometime so you can get a feel for it before you're stressed out on the side of the road or a trail. That'll help more than carrying additional tools you've never used.

20. Jun 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM
    justSomeGirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Great advice all around, thank you everyone! You're right, it's a personal preference thing at the end of the day. I'll try out some stuff on what you guys suggested and see what works for me!

Products Discussed in

To Top