1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Rd Cheat SHeet

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rex Kramer, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Aug 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer [OP] Member

Member:
    White Mountains, NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD 4x4
    Stock
    Ok Im a noob Taco owner, got a 2011 4x4 with the off rd package. As I dont off rd alot, when im hunting fishing holes etc and winter (northern NH lots of snow), was wondering if a cheat sheet exists on all the possible set ups per condtions. Seen the vids of climbing etc, what settings-what conditions.

thnx
    rex
    -------

2. Aug 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    First of all, I would search tire options and get a tire you feel is ideal for your driving habits or your normal or yearly conditions. The right tires, especially in snow makes a difference. There is Lots of info with tire selections on this site. I bet if you went on line to You tube and searched you would find how to off road videos or just off road videos in general that may show or give you some idea of what to do, (or not to do!) in many off road conditions. Also, your manual gives you basic recommendations as well on how or when to use the truck's 4x4 or traction systems with the truck.
    Then, the only other thing I would do is get out and drive the truck, put it in 4x4, play around with it and you will figure it out. Just remember, even if you have 4x4, it does not mean you can not get stuck! Have fun and enjoy your truck and welcome to TW! :)

3. Aug 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    Do not engage the 4x4 on dry pavement unless you like spending $$$ to fix broken parts.

4. Aug 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    ATriplett513

ATriplett513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cb, 4x4, 4.0L, 6-speed
    Use your common sense and keep off the gas.

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
  6. Aug 21, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    4hi when not on pavement, 4lo when things get tough, and the locker if you get stuck/ things get really tough.
    (you can actually go into 4wd on pavement, just don't turn.)
    Then get the right tires.

Everything else is learned!

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer [OP] Member

Member:
    White Mountains, NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD 4x4
    Stock
    Thanks for all the replies, with options and acronyms like A-Track, AUTO LSD, VSC, RR DIFF, etc, and all the dash lights, I was looking for a printed cheat sheet to keep handy as I learn all these options. I ended up printing the relevant parts of the manual from Toyota manual pdf here: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM35A34U/pdf/sec_2-4.pdf

Rex

Thnx AZChris, exactly what I was looking for!

Products Discussed in

To Top