1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Rd - vs Not - VIN, Suspension, Locking Rear

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wilsonpj, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, Off Road Package
    TRD Cat back exhaust. TRD CAI. All-Pro armor, Brush Guard, LR UCA's, OME 3in lift, 16x8 KMC Enduros and 285x75x16 Goodyear Dura Tracs
    So I've been in the process of buying a Taco for a couple months now, in the latest episode of this saga, I'm checking out an 06 Off Rd Double Cab Short Bed. The guys says it is the Off Road package. After looking at it I notice that the suspension is not the upgraded off road (yellow blistiens) and it does not have a button for the locking rear. He was persistent that it was the off rd model but as a broker he has had the car 7 days and does not know jack.

Here is the VIN 5TELU42N26Z154333. I checked the VIN decoder but I can't tell if this car is actually the off road? why would it not have a button for the locking rear?

I think this jankie place is just slapping stickers on them.

Any thoughts?

Also I checked out an 07 that looked like the off road (hood) but was a sport, they said that was how they got if from the dealer, no hood switch. WTF is going on here, why all the BS and weird trucks.

2. Jun 25, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    that place sounds sketchy. go somewhere else and get the real deal. I definitely wouldnt trust them.

3. Jun 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    Good351

Good351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ames, IA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner V8
    The locking diff button is the off road package. If it doesn't have that little button it's not an off road period. Offroad also comes with bilstien shocks, 16" alloy wheels.

The hood scoop generally designates the sport model (limited slip diff). Sport also has bilsteins, 17" alloy wheels and color matched grill surround, door handles, and rear bumper.

If it's what you're looking for and it's a good deal, go for it...

If in doubt what it is, take some pics and post them.

4. Jun 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    wilsonpj

wilsonpj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC, SB, Off Road Package
    TRD Cat back exhaust. TRD CAI. All-Pro armor, Brush Guard, LR UCA's, OME 3in lift, 16x8 KMC Enduros and 285x75x16 Goodyear Dura Tracs
    I agree, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something here.

To Top