1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off road in a non-trd tacoma

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by mikeee, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jul 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    ha the driver of the rubi i was with one time hadnt done the grey wire mod and couldnt use his lockers out of low range so he couldnt get out of the mud. didnt much know how to drive either.

i agree though, stock rubi with someone who knows how to drive can beat a stock taco.

2. Jul 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    we also need to consider WHERE off road, taco's decimate jeeps, when at speed in the sand. jeeps rule the rocks. but there is just SOOO much more than rocks off road!

3. Jul 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    Phillyguy

Phillyguy Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 SR5
    Still brand new.
    Thanks.

4. Jul 26, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    I offroaded in a Honda civic once... never do that again lol

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

Actually no, you don't know WTF you're talking about.

The regular TRD package DOES NOT INCLUDE the JBL audio. 90% of people here with the TRD package DON'T HAVE IT! You can get one with it BUT ITS NOT THE REGULAR TRD PACKAGE. Case in point, go to an actual DEALER WEBSITE WHERE THE ACTUAL PRICES ARE! And no taco anywhere looks like shit. You sound like a pissed off 15 year old thats trying to justify his inability to afford what other people have.

Also do you see the little "w/" on the image you posted. That means with. As in the TRD with this costs that much. With. As opposed to it actually being a part of it, in which case there would be no 'with'. The JBL radio is a separate option. In that little menu they just happen to show you a price 'with' that option to make it more convenient.

On toyota.com they make up these fancy little 'packages with options' to show you that you could get these options at this price. Those little 'packages with options' don't really exist when you actually go to buy the truck. All of it is separate and all of it is ordered and priced separately.

Not to mention on every TRD packaged tacoma there is a $950 MSRP discount on the window sticker, no idea if thats included on toyota.com, but something else to think about. And the prices you're posting is like saying a DVD costs $30 because thats the MSRP on most all of them when I can go to the store and get it for $15.

From an actual dealer website (and this is the MSRP, you don't actually pay this much remember, unless you're a fool):

pricecopy_6e028eff762e4ac1f9c4100e449590cc5f77a004.jpg

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    gouge44

gouge44 $DO WORK$

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    FloRiDa
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner TRDsport DoubleCab
    Tinted windows, toytec ultimate 3inch lift- front c/o rear aal, 18" black rockstar rims, 275/70/18 toyo opencountry mt's, BLUE dome light, 6000k H4 HID bixenon, kenwood kvt-514 headunit,black badges, satoshi grill :] sold it and now have a wrangler....

damn new guys callin u out!!!! lol :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    DTacoms

DTacoms Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    LOL. I experienced this but it was fun. I was once a passenger in a DAEWOO car but we got to the summit of a relay station. Everyone that saw us was stunned but it wasn't me driving though.:)

When I went back to that place, I thought I could do the same in a Mitsubishi 2WD pick-up. It couldn't climb in the last half mile, so we had to walk.:(

Having learned my lesson, I never went back to that place without the HILUX 4x4. That HILUX took us everywhere even me driving it. :D

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    well, Tony Divino wont let me order one without the stereo, I asked. Its those shown packages or nothing.

and in utah, the Tacoma is heavily desired and quickly bought. we dont really get to wiggle all that much on price. they know if we dont pay near sticker, some other fool will.

I mean, shit. IF I could get a TRD OR for under 25 I sure as hell would!

so. in my zipcode(84041), there are 2 options for a reputable dealer, Mark Miller on state. and Tony Divino on Riverdale.

http://www.markmillertoyota.com/showroom/2010/Toyota/Tacoma/Truck.htm

http://www.tonydivinotoyota.com/new-inventory/index.htm?reset=InventoryListing&SBmodel=Tacoma

neither of these guys will let me get just what i want. and neither of them will play ball. its not that they arent friendly. they're just over-confident lazy bastards. New toyota's sell like crazy here, and they know it.

9. Jul 27, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    DTacoms

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    When I bought my 2nd gen on Nov 2004, I did not know about TRD. I asked the dealer to bring me a black, long bed and 4x4. Dealer had an SR5 with $3000+ options. It came with leather seats and running board. Having used to leather in a mini van, I jumped into it.

4 years later, I'm still loving my non-TRD. The 4x4 open differential took me everywhere I wanted, while it was stock. I guess the TRD wasn't needed for the places I went to (some sand, rocks, gravel, steep ascent, ice).

I am not familiar with locking differential. When do you need the locker anyway? In what situation? Anyone please?

10. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    in places where you cannot get equal traction for both wheels. an LSD will send power to the wheel doing the least work (by design) and a locker keeps both wheels turning at the same speed, when engaged.

it "locks" them together...

11. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM
    DTacoms

Member:
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB BSP
    I found more answers here: www.4x4abc.com. Thanks by the way...

12. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    that is damn fine site! bookmarked!

13. Jul 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    Really the only big off-roading feature the TRD has is the rear locker and better tires than the SR-5 and base 4x4's. A good truck with low-range, good ground clearance and good tires is the basic nessesity for starting out on most off road trails.

14. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Correct me if I am wrong, but for the 2009s... even the TRDs have the auto LSD as a replacement even for the rear locker right?

15. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    They do have the auto LSD, but the TRD Off Road trim still gets the electric rear locker.

16. Jul 27, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Ah ok, thanks :)

17. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:54 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Your description of the dealers sound like it's spot on. I would do some driving if I was going to buy (I did, just this past weekend). I drove 3 hours and 45 minutes and got the same truck for $2000 less than I could get them down to locally. I knew the prices in NC when I went for some test drives in VA and I told them I can go and get this same truck for way less money, I even showed them print outs proving the prices, and I told them if you can match it or come pretty damn close I'll buy it right now.

They wouldn't do anything, they were stuck up as hell. He said "well it's ridiculous to drive that far for a truck" and I asked him if he would drive a few hours for $2000 and he didn't say anything. Then right before I left someone with me said something about the economy and salesman rolled his eyes said in the cockiest manner possible "It's a toyota, it'll sell."

Then one dealer close to the one where I actually purchased from (all the dealers in this area were easy to deal with, western NC) told me that they can order anything I want, however I want it, and give me the same deal they can give me on anything on the lot, they said if another dealer told me they weren't able to it was really that they didn't want to (because I had spoken to a local dealer about this option and they said 'well we can, but not for these prices'). They said it doesn't cost any different to order the truck and that they order the trucks on their lot the exact same way they order a truck for a customer.

This is obvious after browsing atleast 25 dealers in a couple regions when I was looking for the best deal and exactly what I wanted. Almost every single dealer had their own preferences on what options they ordered on what. Every TRD Offroad at one dealer included these options, every TRD Offroad at another dealer had a different set of options, some had no options. Some other dealers had it all mixed up and everything was different. It's whatever they find sells the best, I assume.

This is much more reasonable that the earlier comments and I apologize for getting up in arms, sounds like you're in a tough place to deal.

18. Jul 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock

:rofl::rofl:

19. Jul 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    yeah, I would gladly drive 300 miles for a better deal, since even when I get out of school, 25,000 will be tight. if i could just get the bits I want. in the DC SB auto V6. I'd be more than happy. especially if i could get it lower than 25!

its like I said in my BASE+ keyless post.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/45304-base-keyless-entry.html

thats all I need, thats all i want. I would rather haggle that truck than a TRD!

and as far as getting up in arms goes, this is the internet. if you dont expect it once and in a while, you wont last long. so I'm cool with it. no worries!

20. Jul 29, 2009 at 2:22 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I drove to Utah looking for a 4x4 and they didn't have any :laugh:. Took me about 9 months to find my truck, I had different stories and issues every time I visited the dealerships.
    I'm thrilled with my truck...my Base model, I got it for right around 25K total. It was a brand new 07 left over when the 08's hit the lot. Browse around some of the Vegas dealerships and contact their internet sales if you're up for that, I got a deal I can't complain about.

Products Discussed in

To Top