1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-Road Lights attached to front bumper

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ccoorreeyy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy [OP] www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    Hey everyone,

I'm going to be getting some new off-roading lights soon (not sure which ones yet, but that's a whole other story) and I wanted to see if anybody has simply drilled through the front bumper to attach the lights. I don't want to get any-type of light bar because I don't want to spend the extra money.

Has anybody done that and if so, should i be warned of anything?

Input and pictures are much appreciated.

Corey

2. Mar 6, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Is the light bar from N-fab out of your price range too? its about $150 and looks sweet

3. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    Yea. I saw that N-Fab bar on a few Tacomas, but I just don't like the looks of it much. And, I would rather put the extra $150 towards something else on my truck... Ya know? :)

Thanks though!

4. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    yea i know what you mean. You can mount the lights behing the grill. Thats a thought

5. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    I given that some thought too. I do plan to mount two rectangular shaped lights in the lower grill, but in the upper grill, I don't know if any light would escape because of the 3 big black plastic bars that run across.

I know, I know, I'm picky. Haha.

6. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea all the people that mount them behind have a mesh grill or something similar.
    I didnr=t know if you had one or not

7. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    I don't. I wish I did though.

What lights do you have on your truck?

8. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    if you drill and mount them to the top of the bumper in front of the grill, I would suggest using fairly big washers and maybe a rubber washer under the one on the top, to keep the vibrations down a little, and the big washers to keep the bolts from making the holes bigger and just coming out..
    just my .02

9. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

10. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    No problem man!

11. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Im installing my new HID headlights and HID fog lights today. But im planning on buying the N-fab bar in a few months and putting four lights on there. Just saving up for a 3" lift first.

If I were you I would save up a little and either get the mesh grill so you can mount them behind that or get the N-fab bar because once you drill through your bumber there's no reversing that. Later on down the road if you wanna take them off your gonna have or holes. Or what if you decide to sell it. Just my opinion

12. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    I think your right. I will probably get the N-fab bar. It's not that much money and I can attach 4 lights on it.

I know I'm now going way off topic, but what lift are you considering? I found a 3" lift for 199. and I'm thinking about installing it myself. My only concern is quality. This lift is pretty much half of the cost of a ready lift. I don't understand why the cost is so different.

13. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Well stay away from spacer lifts. Bad ride. If you want the cheapest lift your best bet would be billstein 5100's. They are adjustable. You can get those and level out the front. Or you can set them a bit higher and get an aal in the back. Then you would pry wanna get the 5100's for the rear as well.

I have been saving up. Im getting the whole OME setup. Comes with a coil that gives 3" of lift for the front. Then im getting the OME shocks up front, OME shocks in rear, and aal in rear.
    Check this thread out....Same thing I will be doing.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/28687-mission-accomplished-az.html

14. Mar 6, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I forgot to add Total Chaos upper control arms. Those are super pricey but a great product. They are necessary to correct alignment issues with the lift.

However, if you wanted to go the same route as me or something similar, camburg just came out with a new uca that utilizes the stock upper ball joint. i think its only like $399 or $360 with a discount or something like that.

15. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    Oh! Awesome! Thank you so much! Let me know when you get the $$ together and do it. It looks hard. i don't know if I trust myself enough to do it.

16. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Im gonna have my friend help. He is an AMA superbike mechanic/jack of all trades so we shouldnt have anything that we cant do. Everything is pretty much bolt on once you have the coils and shocks assymbled by a shop. I will definitely post pics. Good luck with your lighting mod!

17. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    So what lights are you gonna get? I would suggest using a light bar cuz me i wouldnt drill on my bumper. Then your left with holes.

18. Mar 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:

Yea. I'm gonna get the light bar. I didn't really think about the after math (holes in the bumper).

I'm thinking about Hella 500s, but I'm not really sure. There's so many options. What do you have?

19. Mar 6, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I have two hella 500lights and two HID lights i got from slimcubby.

Products Discussed in

To Top