1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Road Trailer Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, May 16, 2012.

1. May 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Tacodell I think his name is, has a bad ass trailer. His big build is on ttora. His trailer is aM100. Mine is also an M100. I'm just getting started. An fyi though, the military trailers, the tub is 6' long and is 46" at the top of the tub, and 38" at the bottom. Heres my project, haven't started a build thread yet, but I will.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. May 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    it's about 150 for the smaller one new, or 250 for the larger one new, so those are pretty good deals. And if I understand the DMV's website, it's only 20 bucks to register it and 2 dollars per year.

3. May 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    looks like fun!

I'd like to restore-ish a military trailer.. but I just feel like I don't have the time to find one or the tools to fix up the metal.

4. May 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Oh that would be a pretty sweet deal then. So you would be making the entire thing out of wood then? That might get a little interesting I would think? I'm not sure

5. May 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I had plans to just make it road worthy, bearings and stuff, but now that I'm into it, I'm going to do it right. On these early trailers they welded the tubs to the frame, so I'm in the process of cutting all the welds off... Thats a pain. If your not into quite a bit of metal work, I would stay away from these. They 50 year old pieces of equipment, most of them are pretty haggard. Good luck in your search.

6. May 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Personally I'd jump all over that first one. That would be an easy fix. Well I think it would considering some of the shit I've drug to the house before. lol I don't know how it is there but over here on the east coast we talk them down on anything used. My friend says he is going to take me every time he buys something cause I somehow manage to get things dirt cheap by talking them down.

That first trailer looks like surface rust and could be sanded and wire wheeled down. Put a good primer on it and paint and I think you will have exactly what you want. Main thing is check everything on it since you don't have a welder to do any fab work on it. You could get a cheap grinder at HF and use that on it to clean it up. I'm going to build my own custom one but if I was looking for a ready made I would go for the first one and fix it up. Talk your Dad into it and do the project together. Show him what you can do and have some good times with your Dad.

7. May 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Thats what I was thinking. Hell if I wanted a trailer I'd jump on it ha. I think you could probably dream up some nifty way to stick a loft up in the rack for sleeping that slides down and acts as a lid when in transport? or something of the sort. I feel like there are a lot of directions you can go with that one. Definitely talk him down though, I bet you could get that thing for quite a bit less than he's asking

8. May 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    That first trailer gets my vote for sure! Looks good and you could talk him down to 400 I bet pretty easily. Some time with a wire wheel and 4-5 spray cans of primer and paint and you got a pretty good trailer for ~500-550 :)

9. May 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Personally I wouldn't pay over $200 for it.

10. May 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Prices up here in Alaska are rediculous so :eek: :( :confused: whatever that means down there...

11. May 16, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    medic2230

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. $200 here is probably $400 in Cali. :D

12. May 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input guys.

I'm putting thought into it, but I'm probably not into this to build a sleeper type camper. Though the first one would be good for that, and I'd like to get that one for the project, I feel like right now starting with the HF one will be better.

Someone above said something about me using wood to do it. As of now I am planning on using wood to some extent, but I'd be starting off with just the floor of the trailer and some sides. I'm hoping I'll be able to take a welding class in my first year of college (I know it's required for my major (Product Design), but I think it's scheduled in the curriculum for my sophomore year). So I figure maybe as I go through college and learn more about Product Design, this won't be my last trailer and it'll probably grow as the years go on.

EDIT

My dad knows I do good work, but he's not really interested in helping more than occasionally holding a light and watching. My brothers not really ever interested either. But my grandpa and a couple of our family friends are huge helps when it comes to building things though.

EDIT again

I drew this today just for the heck of it

(One of my dream set up's, A 1967 FJ and a Trailer I drew to match the FJ's style.) Just thought I'd share. The scan didn't come out great. It's pretty detailed in real life.

I'm thinking a surf board would look pretty good on those cross bars. Maybe as a set up for some expedition surf trips. (Just to clarify, I kinda suck at surfing, but still think an expedition surf rig would be fun)

[​IMG]

13. May 17, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
  14. May 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    For what you're talking about doing, something like what I have works just fine. I've drug this thing all over hell's half-acre through the Sierras as well as the NV desert and never had a problem. It's been down old mining trails that haven't been roads in probably 80 years. The only damage I've done to it is backing it into the fence (by hand, no less :rolleyes:) and busting the taillight. It's 4x8 with 13" rims and a 2K GVWR. It's small and light, but still big enough to haul plenty and can be used as a quickie tarp camper if needed.

[​IMG]

It has a tilt box which comes in real handy for loading bikes or a 4-wheeler.

[​IMG]

I picked it up used from a local trailer dealer. I had a welder whip me up the tailgate frame and install the tiedown brackets on the sides. I have it set up with quick-release pins so I can just pop them then lift the tailgate straight out. I replaced all the wood myself. The fact that it's still open keeps it available for use as a utility trailer around town as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. May 17, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
  16. May 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    This looks great! I will have to spend some time looking through that.

Yeah, this is about what I'd want. I think I'll be adding a few more accessories to mine than this has, but it would be a great start. And it's kinda like what I was hoping to accomplish with the HF trailer and some wood and fab'd sides.

Products Discussed in

To Top