1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off Road worthy trailer build

Discussion in 'Towing' started by BlackBuzzard, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Jun 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    BlackBuzzard

BlackBuzzard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 double cab
    Topper Air Bag suspension rear
    I want to assemble an offroad capable small trailer (4x6) to haul my dirt bike and attached jobsite-type tool storage box.

This is the trailer I am considering.

It has a 2000 pound axle and 1750 pounds load capacity. I want to flip the axle for more clearance, and put on larger tire/wheel combination that fits the 5 lug 4.5in pattern of trailer hub.

Storage box would be mounted long side on right side of trailer, and the dirt bike would be on the left.

Between the axle flip and larger tires, I hope to pick up maybe another 6 inches clearance.

The intent is to have a trailer that a stock 4x4 tacoma could take through "easy" 4x4 terrain.....not the rubicon.

Total load on trailer would be 1100 pounds, which is well below max rating of 1750.

Also I hear standard ball/hitches are not the way to go when off road. I am considering this hitch - Lock and Roll product.

Any suggestions before I proceed?

Is the Lock and Roll type hitch a worthy addition?

Is the 2000 pound Dexter axle on this trailer adequate for my intended use and load when off road?

Will the higher center of gravity given the axle flip and new wheels be a concern?

[​IMG]

2. Jun 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    BlackBuzzard

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 double cab
    Ok....maybe some pics would help.

Below is a pic of some dude who did what I want to do, only with taller side walls and a 3500 axle......I like it a lot.

tttt_zpsd7a62d97_2c0ed9994d0c02e67121ca801b9f74b9e7ec07da.jpg

Here is the tool box I want to mount to trailer lengthwise on the right.

t_zpsf20a56aa_00d3f067f60f19b9e343030eb686ee23fdb783e7.jpg

And here is the fancy three axis off road type hitch I am considering.....the Lock and Roll.

ttt_zpsd210a687_995bb4abdc420496e74b7c2eac3c7242944ed59a.jpg

Any comments, suggestions?

3. Jul 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    Yoda the Taco

Yoda the Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kingsport
    Vehicle:
    Majestic White Stallion
    00 front end swap 3 inch spacer/block 01 dash swap Flux capacitor 04 center console tach cluster swap avatar-10 hyperdrive 02 door panels powerlocks/keyless entry electric fan swap 4runner seats
    Well, your idea is in theory pretty kick ass. I've tossed around similar thoughts my only concerns would be

A) Price (what are you hoping to spend)
    B) That is more of a vault than a tool box lol :laughing:

So I would worry that price could get a little out of hand by the time its finsihed and that the vault there would add a considerable amount of weight. Are you thinking a scratch build from the ground up, or buy a platform and build on to that?

4. Jul 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    BlackBuzzard

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 double cab
    ==========================

My thinking has evolved some on this.....

The "Jobsite" toolbox weighs 156 pounds. The KTM 350 opposite the toolbox weighs 240 pounds. So with crap in the toolbox it should be reasonably balanced.

My plans are now to:

1) make it a deck trailer at 5x7ft.

2) use Timbren suspension system (2000pound). I expect many miles of bad washboard roads.. If I used extra (3500) rated leaf spring suspension it would be wildly bouncing about. With Timbren I get much more controled trailer ride and more clearance.

3)Trailer will be custom made by me or a local shop if they are reasonable and can follow my simple plan - 3x2x0.12 sq tubing construction with spacers above Timbren suspension/wheel mount to allow plenty of clearance.

Total load on trailer will be 1200 pounds max.

Price cant be that much, can it?

I'll just make it myself if a custom trailer place wants more than 2000$, not including Tacoma-matching tires/wheels, Timbren suspension, and lockandroll multiaxis hitch.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top