1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off shore drilling.....when?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by THExBUSxDRIVER, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Oh come on now !! You KNOW we went there to free an oppressed people from their tyrant leader, I don't EVER recall that Iraqi oil would pay for the freeing of Iraqi's !!

(triple sarcasm)

:devil::devil::devil:

2. Feb 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    It's not that far-fetched, really.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'd buy that.

Did you know that the guy who invented the Kong toys (indestructible dog toys) developed his product to replace asphalt? It costs 35% less than asphalt to manufacture, doesn't rely on oil to produce, and is as easily adhered to roads. It is less damaging to vehicles across years of driving (less repairs, maintenance, etc.) and if you get a pothole/damaged section of road, you just cut out the damaged piece, then melt new Kong into the hole and smooth it out. It takes less time and resources to fix.

He took it to the road companies, who bought the patent, then promptly mothballed it because it was a threat to their industries and they got hefty payouts from the oil companies and car manufacturers who also recognized the threats.

After that, he got frustrated and patented it for his other love. Dogs.

3. Feb 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I thought it was because of the WMDs? WHAT ABOUT THE WMDs?!?!?!?

4. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    I completely agree with you on all of the above points.

My confusion lies with all the government regulation and restriction on producing our own oil.

Why not do both? Concurrently drill and transition to renewable/conservative energy policies as we move forward.

In a capitalist economy, consumption...whether it be higher or lower dictates price. Having said that, I understand that gas/oil use is not an option for us, but a requirement.

I just don't want the government setting my energy policy; deciding what I use and when I use it.

Just like the squiggly light bulb fiasco...;)

5. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
  6. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Sure thing.

I guess you can make the distinction that in a democratic society, we are directly responsible for the setting our energy policy -- by electing the people we send to make policy for us.

The truth is that this is hardly the case, as corporate donations and influence have way more to do with who gets elected in this country. The only way to really combat that is with your checkbook. If you don't buy the products/services of companies who support views alternative than your own, then those companies have less influence. The problem is, most Americans have neither the time or inclination to research where their $1.00 for a can of soda goes.

If you want to really boil it down, democracy and a capitalist society are inherently bad for one-another. But that is a discussion for another thread...

7. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    All I've gotta say is that the Middle East countries need to get their shit together, I'm tired of paying for their problems with high petrol prices.

8. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I'll have to check that out in a bit.

9. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Yes, heaven forbid they strive to achieve the same rights that you and I take for granted -- like freedom and literacy.

10. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    LOL

11. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    "Necessity is the mother of invention" Ben Franklin (I believe)

The link looks interesting. Don't know much about it but if you believe the marketing it looks promising.

In a free society you can't make people do things (taxes would be the exception :rolleyes:)

Build something that provides a product or service better and cheaper and people will buy it.

That's free market capitalism...

12. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    is_it_the_shoes

is_it_the_shoes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4

I am pretty sure there is evidence of the same story in regards to electric cars 30 years ago. Car companys bought up all the ideas and stuck them in Vault (metaphorically). Crap, if you have ever seen the History Channel talk about Tesla vs. Eddison, same thing happened as well.

13. Feb 23, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Yup.

14. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Spitz Stang

Spitz Stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OR 4x4
    OME 885 / Dakar,5100's, 265/65-16

This is completely wrong. The 'record' profits that you are speaking of are only dollar value records. These increases in profits to record levels are due simply to worldwide demand. There are 10 times as many personal automobiles in China than there were just 5 years ago. This, along with other worldwide development, has driven demand for oil to 'record' highs.

Companies like Exxon and Shell are selling more oil each year (but still not keeping up with growing demand) so, of course, their profits are higher and set new records. What the folks who blame everything on Big Oil don't ever tell you is that the profit MARGINS these companies make are no different than they have ever been. The average profit margin for Big Oil companies is about 10%. This means that in order to make that big $10 billion profit they spent $100 billion. By comparison, pharmaceutical companies routinely make 30%+ profit margins by milking sick people for products they need to stay alive!

This type of misinformation is part of what prevents discussion of legitimate alternatives from going anywhere. Lately, everyone on both sides of the aisle is more interested in winning the argument than working on a real solution. Both sides take numbers and statistics like these and twist them to the point that they are meaningless. This is why Americans need to stop blindly believing everything CNN or Fox News tells them. No one thinks for themselves or questions 'facts' anymore - and until that changes I don't think anything useful will happen to correct this problem or any of the other problems we as a nation face.

I agree that we have to find an alternative to oil, but that will take time. We need to drill here - everywhere here (ie. offshore California, Florida, East Coast, GOM, etc.) - now so that in the short term, while we work on alternatives, we become more and more oil independent. We can persuade people just as we do with other things. If Florida doesn't want ugly drilling rigs off their coasts, then they can pay a 10-20% penalty on all gasoline in the state. The Feds can use this money to research new alternative fuels. I bet it won't take long before all coastal states change their views on drilling off their coasts with this type of pressure.

15. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Good point about the margins. I hadn't calculated that in.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about not taking media outlets and talking heads as gospel. I find this the major problem with American politics/policies.

I'm not sure if drilling everywhere all willy-nilly is the answer. It certainly helps the immediate by reducing dependency on foreign oil, but without a plan in place for reduction/elimination of consumption, we really have only solved one part of the problem -- not the whole enchilada.

16. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

The problem I have with your post is that "True " Companies like Exxon are selling more oil (due to demand) so the numbers ARE bigger, but that in no way explains
    300% -400% "profit gains" Don't think for a second that they aren't playing both sides of the fence here , we see prices at the pump go up pretty much daily here, now someone explain to me the legitimacy raising prices on a daily basis on gas that was delivered onsite (your local gas station) possibly couple weeks before at a lower pump price .. So is it retroactive ?? Its nothing less than price gouging in my opinion..

17. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    My dad's a chemical engineer who worked for Chevron for 35 years. He said when oil depletion truly reaches a critical point, oil companies will already have alternatives ready and waiting ... than in fact it's common practice for them to buy up alternative technologies and then shelve them to protect their current interests.

Right now companies like Chevron and Exxon have 100 billion dollar investments in infrastructure. You think they're going to just walk away from that and let startups revolutionize energy markets? You think they're going to stand by and allow government to fund their competition? The oil industry is all for government incentives ... as long as they are the recipients. Beyond that, they actually fund a massive multimillion dollar lobbying campaign designed to derail alternative energy funding.

Hell it's not in their interest right now to drill more. They're like De Beers - the massive multinational diamond monopoly which, up until 2000, controlled the entire flow of diamonds to market, keeping prices (and profits) artificially high.

Chevron, Exxon, BP and the rest are making their greatest profits in history. And yeah, you bet if the Chinese will pay better, they'll sell to the Chinese.

So for those blaming environmentalists ... you're barking up the wrong tree. Follow the money. The oil industry doesn't give a rip about your feelings. They just want to know what you'll pay. Free market capitalism has one rule ... supply & demand. America is really going to start paying for it's "fuck you pay me" business philosophies, because the little guy ... that's you and me ... is going to get crushed in the cogs of the machine.

18. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Yay! This is exactly how I feel.

Don't blame environmentalists or the Middle East or Islam. Blame Capitalism.

Damn right.

19. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Well said!

20. Feb 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Oh yeah, def. I agree with the alternative to be in place with a switch from oil. They (oil) berate & speak negatively about alternative fuels, ethanol, green gas (algae, which is already in use, just look up at whats flying) But just as soon as its cost effective & profitable , these same schills will be singing praise & will tell you its the best thing since sliced bread....

Products Discussed in

To Top