1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official 2019 NCAA Football thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by holyfield19, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4WD
    debatable.

Dave Aranda.

2. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    T4golfR

T4golfR Golf dad > Soccer mom

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    HSV, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R
    Golf club accommodation mods
    Targeting rule has to change to a tier system or treated as an unsportsmanlike conduct where you get 2 and you're out. If malicious, majority of the time everyone can tell, then it can stay instant ejection. Honestly, just watching the body language of the guy that targeted is pretty obvious if it was any accident or not.

stronghammer likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    BFRT_King Ranch

BFRT_King Ranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    They aren't but that's the approach Swinney takes to keep the team motivated. He uses that as inspiration and plays the underdog role that he has excelled in. He knows it's Alabama, Clemson and everyone else but he is going to ride that method until it fails. It's done nothing but work for 5 years now... why stop?

I, for one, look forward to a repeat again. Yes, Clemson won, and surprisingly in dominating fashion, but Alabama is still the benchmark. They will be back. Better than ever and madder than ever. As a Clemson fan, life is great. As a college football fan, we are witnessing modern day history. Two elite teams, with elite coaches battling it out every year for supremacy. Clemson has won 2 of 3 but Alabama has still owned the last decade and anyone who thinks they won't be back is mistaken. Yes, Saban looked confused, rattled and out coached Monday night, but that's purely motivation going forward. Alabama just set a record by beating their own with 25 4* or higher recruits. That's ridiculous.

As a fan, enjoy it. It's going to be fun watching these 2 teams battle it out for several more years. UGA and Ohio St, IMO, are really the only ones that can step up and interfere with the inevitable collision course.

478DblSport likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:05 AM
    BFRT_King Ranch

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    Debate it. Give me stats. Look at Clemson's defensive numbers over the years and remember Venables arrived in 12:

Clemson's national ranking in sacks:
    2018 - 1st
    2017 - t-1st
    2016 - 3rd
    2015 - 2nd
    2014 - 7th
    2013 - 12th
    2012 - 20th
    2011 - 63rd

And in TFLs: 2018 - 1st
    2017 - 6th (wtf?)
    2016 - 1st
    2015 - 1st
    2014 - 1st
    2013 - 1st
    2012 - 28th
    2011 - 65th

I'll have to dig up the total D stats but its been top 10 every year since 13 and that's with reloading the DL every year but this past year when they all returned to win another championship.

05Taco4x4 likes this.
  5. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I can't debate by stats alone. LSU is not a team that has an offense that helps keep the defense off of the field. You said it's "not even close" on the D coordinator and I'm simply stating it is close. Aranda does amazing things with not as much help as Venables has. I'm not saying Aranda is the best, or that Venables isn't the best...but it's closer than your comment "not even close".

6. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    BFRT_King Ranch

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    Agreed... maybe "not even close" was a bit out of context.. but Venables has proven he is the best defensive coordinator in college football. What was supposed to be the greatest AL offense ever was totally confused and rattled. I won't say shutdown bc they still managed to put 450 yards of offense up, but when it was crunch time, Clemson settled in and stopped them. Saban was chasing and knew it by making several questionable calls.

7. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    rmepilot

rmepilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    '23 LR DCSB TRD OR 4x4 Premium Pkg
    2019 Jeep GC Summit 5.7l '15 DCLB S/C 4x4 Limited Pyrite Mica - Deceased
  8. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I agree with you, and stats don't lie about his success, but again....ACC isn't typically as strong as SEC...and LSU has this offensive plague that doesn't help the defense out. So I'd say a lot of the times with what Aranda has to work with he's easily at the top, or is the top.

I mean if you're going to tell me Clemson beating a team like Wake Forest and having great defensive stats is better than LSU beating a team like say Mississippi State and having "good" defensive stats...then go ahead if the stats is all that matters. It's more impressive to beat better teams than to beat weaker teams...to me. yes the vs. Alabama comparisons favor Clemson this year, but Clemson pads defensive stats with their schedule every year.

9. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    BFRT_King Ranch

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    Not going to argue that fact at all.. As a whole, the ACC is weaker than the SEC, but it's not by as much as people want to say. You are right in that regard though. But when it mattered the most and when it has mattered the most, Clemson has proven their D is legit. In our last 10 bowl games going to back to the LSU Peach Bowl, our opponent has averaged 125 yards off their season total. That includes LSU, Ohio State 2x, Oklahoma 2x, Alabama 4x and ND. That's impressive.

LSU has by all rights, fielded a stellar D for years. Offense has the been the problem for years now though. That being said, I look forward to the LSU/Clemson series in a few years.. I can't wait to play in Deaf Valley at night. :thumbsup:

EDIT: That is 125 yards off their season total for rushing yards! I'd have to look at the numbers to find the total yards, but we have eliminated our opponents rushing the ball.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    stronghammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    stronghammer

stronghammer STTDB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    haha agree again. man I like having good football discussions! I need more Clemson fans in my life. I too look forward to that series!

11. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Jalen Hurts in the transfer portal. Thanks for your work and dedication, Jalen! Best of luck to you, son.

TomTwo and El Duderino like this.
  12. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    Saban needs to keep some coordinators around longer than 2 or 3 years.

No consistency for these players, and honestly, I'm surprised Alabama has been able to keep as many recruits with all the new head coaches Saban produces.

BFRT_King Ranch likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    T4golfR

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    HSV, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R
    FWIW, regardless of what Jalen does, for him to consider all options he had to put his name in the transfer portal now for it to even be an option. He also submitted his grad school application to Bama a few weeks ago as well. I think he is more less doing his do diligence to give himself every possible direction to go. Staying or going, he will be remembered as one of the best to ever don the Crimson and White and I hope nothing but success comes his way.

BFRT_King Ranch likes this.
  14. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.

Yep. Sounds like he is pretty smart about all of this. Glad he is doing it this way, too. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

Way too early report I just read said that Auburn is in the mix as a possible spot for Jalen to land. Tennessee too. Not sure he'd want to do that.

15. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    BFRT_King Ranch

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    Agreed. It's remarkable how well they recruit and sustain with the constant staff turnover. Hats off to Saban for that but the brand and results speak volumes to why they stick around no matter the turnover.

16. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    T4golfR

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    HSV, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 T4R
    Also read on another "reliable" forum where his family was looking at real estate near Ft. Worth. Being originally from TX and a team like TCU being a good QB away from contending in the Big12, that could be a possibility as well. I honestly don't see him staying in the SEC, much less joining a team that is on Bama's schedule next year. But who knows. I will still be a fan of his even if we do play against him....I just wont be a fan of his team or him winning that one.

17. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.

Yeah. That was one of the stand out issues between Clemson and Alabama is that Clemson's staff has been there for a long time.

Honestly, if Kirby Smart was still the DC at Bama, I'd say that game would have turned out much different. Might not have won it, but, Kirby at year 11 vs. Tosh at year 1.....lol.

Gotta get some coaches/coordinators in that are going to stick around for a while. Honestly, Saban should be grooming his replacement, if he cares any about Alabama Football post Saban.

18. Jan 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM
    BFRT_King Ranch

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cement TRDOR DCSB
    Agreed, 100%. The continuity on Clemson's staff is very much a key cog in the fact we have been really good 5-6 years now. Without that, we would not recruit as well as we do or have the player development we do.

It'll be interesting to see where Saban goes with his staff for now on and if he does start to groom someone.

19. Jan 9, 2019 at 3:10 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Is he a graduate transfer? If not would seem crazy to transfer now.

20. Jan 9, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    El Duderino

El Duderino Obviously, you're not a golfer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    HI->PNW
    Vehicle:
    16 MGM Sport 4x4 DCSB & 19 nautical blue SR5 premium 4x4
    Stuff, things, this, an ADS
    Graduate transfer so he can play right away

TomTwo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in