1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenWA, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Jason G.

Jason G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4
    Rough Country Strut Spacer Leveling Kit
    The more I read about it the more I think that's my only option. Hopefully Toyota comes up with some miracle cure for it. I'm not at all against getting my hands dirty, I'm just very limited on free time right now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Feb 3, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    @old.man.adventures

@old.man.adventures Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    Icon Stage 4 Delta Joint
    Exactly why Im just going straight to the bushing. Seems the TSB os only a bandaid....

TOP TACO likes this.
  3. Feb 3, 2018 at 2:01 PM
    Jason G.

Jason G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4
    Rough Country Strut Spacer Leveling Kit
  4. Feb 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    joep411

joep411 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Speedway Blue Tacoma TRD Sport
    I bought my 11 Sport a couple of months ago with the extended warranty 250 deductible. After driving it a couple of weeks I heard the hum and thought I had a bad wheel bearing, this weekend I jacked it up and checked. The wheel has zero play in it but when I spin it I can hear a clicking, I pushed up on the axle while it was spinning and the noise is gone. When driving if I put it in 4x4 the noise does not go away and there is a lot of up and down play in the axle so I am assuming I need to do the bearing. Question is should I have the dealer do it and pay the deductible or should I do it. I am mechanically inclined and have tools just nervous about dropping the removal tool end in the xfer case when. Is it easy to do?

5. Feb 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    It's easy not to drop the end in the diff, just be cautious.

joep411[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Feb 11, 2018 at 4:13 AM
    Obiwade

Obiwade Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Figured I’d chime in:

I have a 2010 4x4 115,000miles. Had the hum/groan at 40-60mph. Did not seem to really go away in 4x4. As well as a fine vibration coming from the front I could feel in the floorboard. Was definitely some hub noise mixed in too. I replaced both wheel hubs, got a little quieter, but still had a vibration and annoying hum. Stumbled on this issue, and inspected my CV axle. It had a lot of “slop” going into the diff compared to the passenger side.

Did the ECGS bushing late last night, got SIGNIFICANTLY quieter and no more vibration but i still hear ‘something’, though it’s so much quieter I think it may be a phantom in my head. The axle/diff connection now has very little play if any at all.

FWIW, I did this by unbolting the lower ball joint and leaving the rest assmbled. But if I had to do it again I would disassemble the entire hub/axle and remove the axle completely. Hammering in the bushing without a lift and in a tight space due to the axle being present sucked and took longer than the rest of the job put together x1000! I used ECGS recommended 85w140 oil.

I may sell my install/removal tool here soon. But I want to keep it for a minute in case I get caught doing this over again after a few drives.......

@old.man.adventures likes this.
  7. Feb 25, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    RTX Taco

RTX Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Chilliwack BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
    I put the ECGS bushing in back in 2013 and its got around 82,000 miles on it with no issues whatsoever. IMO i'd just replace the bushing and be done with it. No more trips to the dealer and there bs excuses and temporary fixes.
    As for dropping the end of the removal tool in the diff, just stick some plastic like a sandwich bag or such it there first, if the end of the tool comes loose it won't drop inside. Use some needle nose to get the bag out when your done.

freedomriding likes this.
  8. Feb 27, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    jc11taco89

jc11taco89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jon
    Naugatuck CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma aclb 4wd
    3 inch toytec 5100 SPC uca's Pelfreybilt front plate bumper with center hoop Pelfreybilt rear plate bumper with swing out B.A.M.F. sliders with kick out Mobtown ifs and trans skid. 33's with rims that are to large.
    Hey all so I have a ?? Or to for everyone so I have a lifted 11 ACLB , Icon 2.5 EXT TRAVEL coilovers SPC UCA'S rear dakars with an archive garage shackle flip with and bilstien b110 and I'm suspecting that I need a carrier bearing drop and I'm looking for input. My first reason I suspect I need this is because I've been hearing a thud kind of noise coming from the middle of my truck so I get under there and there's definitely a fair amount of play in the driveshaft I'm not sure but I believe that is the issue causing the thud/banging noise ?? Does this sound like it could be the issue?

9. Feb 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Loosen the two bolts for the rear driveshaft center support bearing then re tighten to 45ft#'s. This will relieve the tension on that bushing

jc11taco89[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 27, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Arrrgh...wish I had known...my bushing and removal tool arrive tomorrow.

11. Feb 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    seedy_tea

seedy_tea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD-OR DC
    anyone in Cape Cod/SE Mass area that has done this and would be willing to help?

Or does anyone know of a shop in the same area that will do this? Dealer said they wouldnt due to non-Toyota parts.

12. Feb 28, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Adrian.Brewster

Adrian.Brewster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Vehicle:
    2020 trd off road
    I just brought my truck into the dealer yesterday for a very minor vibration from 5 to 25 mph. It goes away when I put it in 4Hi so I am assuming its the needle bearing. The tech didnt even drive the truck. He walked up and asked where the vibration was coming from and he said "oh, much be the needle bearing. Ill order the parts and get you in next week to swap it out." They are giving me a loaner for the day so its not much of an inconvenience. What is the general consensus here? Are they just replacing it with the same bearing or a better one? I am not against replacing it with the ECGS I just figure by the time I buy the bearing and the tools for removal/install, it would at least be worth it financially to try and have Toyota fix it.

13. Mar 2, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    seedy_tea

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD-OR DC
    bump

14. Mar 4, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Hill5140

Hill5140 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Destiny
    Carson, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma Base
  15. Mar 5, 2018 at 4:58 AM
    seedy_tea

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD-OR DC
    @glennv I know this is an old post, but giving it a shot... Any chance you could send me the guys number? I'm on Cape Cod, and havent found anyone to do this, and a little apprehensive of doing it myself. RI isnt too bad of a drive to get this cleared up. Thanks in advance

16. Mar 5, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    joep411

joep411 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Speedway Blue Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a tool available if anyone needs one PM me.

17. Mar 5, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    KreamDc

KreamDc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4Dr 4WD
    I'm at a loss...I got the ECGS bushing installed last week, I changed the transmission fluid 2 weeks ago but I still have a slight vibration that starts at around 20mph. While it's better now than it was before the work, it's still there. Also, last night I could still feel it on the highway going between 60-70 mph. My truck is stock. Any suggestions?

18. Mar 5, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    @old.man.adventures

@old.man.adventures Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    Icon Stage 4 Delta Joint
    So I'm about to do this in the next few days....my question is will I need to get an alignment afterwards?

19. Mar 5, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Shouldn't unless you change anything on your suspension/steering

20. Mar 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    SpeedyJ

SpeedyJ Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's, DuraTracs
    I'm going through the same thing that many other members have gone through - lifted the truck, noticed a new vibration, found this thread.

The ECGS bushing seems like a no-brainer, but I'm tight on time and I'm located in Canada, so shipping from ECGS wasn't going to be cheap or fast. Since my truck in an '07 with 260Kms there is no warranty and the TSB doesn't seem to apply here. I decided to go with plan B - go with the upgraded TSB bearing at my own expense.

To my surprise, the dealer that had the bearing in stock also had the ECGS bushing on hand and was happy to recommend it. It wasn't cheap ($90cad), but if it gets rid of the vibration and I don't have to do it again in a year I consider it money well spent. The parts guy stated that it's their standard procedure to install the bushing on any lifted trucks that they sell, new or used.

For the benefit of other forum members that may be local to me, the dealer was South Pointe in Calgary, AB.

Products Discussed in

To Top