1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL 2nd gen 4x4 front differential bearing vibration thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenWA, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Nov 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    normb

normb Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 D/C TRD O/F
    I took my 2015 Tacoma to the dealership today to have the needle bearing replaced under the service bulletin. The response of course was "I cannot hear any noise except the suspension and tires." So just how loud does this problem get? Can it get loud enough to be noticeable without causing any other damage to the diff? Once it starts squealing, I suspect one is hosed as the housing will be scored.

I will be do an oil change on Tuesday... So I guess I try yanking the axle around to check for play. Any other way to convince them to fix it sooner rather than later?

The service writer and master tech had not heard of this problem prior to my visit. I did have them search for the TSB, but it was new to them. They did find a tech in the shop that had done two replacements, but he said th bad bearing was LOUD.

2. Nov 15, 2019 at 7:47 PM
    Blondie583

Blondie583 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab tacoma
    3" front, 2" rear plus helper springs. Plow frame. New frame from toyota. New wheel bearings, upper ball joints, universal joints, headlights. rattle can paint job on the grill, tail gate and rims.
    I dont know what the squealing noise is you mentioned but the needle bearing noise is very similar to the sound a bad wheel bearing makes which isn't dissimilar to some tire noise.
    I've had mine make noise for years since I put the lift in and I've heard someone else here say they've had the noise for over 50,000 miles and I haven't heard anyone talk about a catastrophic failure of the bearing or the noise getting progressively worse over time.When I recently swapped mine for the ecgs bearing I inspected the old needle bearing and it didnt seem to have any signs of significant wear. From what I've read it's the same with everyone who's swapped out the needle bearing for the ecgs bearing. It's not excessively worn. Just makes noise.
    If I were you I'd take it to your local mechanic to have it swapped out or just deal with the noise. Toyota doesnt want to deal with it because the problem hasn't lead to a failure of any of their manufacturers parts. I've heard of Toyota recognizing the noise and swapping whole diff carriers but that doesnt fix the noise so it doesnt solve the problem. Or you can do it yourself if your mechanically inclined enough to do so.

3. Nov 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    Gonzo1982

Gonzo1982 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tullahoma, TN
    Vehicle:
    2013 MG DCLB TRD Sport
    5100, OME 885, 1.5” Icon AAL, KO2 275/75/17
    I have a puller for sale for the cost plus shipping. Or if you live in Middle TN, can meet ya.

4. Nov 20, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    scott_b

scott_b Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Old North State
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport AC MT
    Just installed my ECGS bushing tonight and could feel/hear the difference before I even made it out of the driveway (‘12 TRD Sport 2” leveling kit). Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I’ve read and re-read many of the posts and the information helped immensely.

:thumbsup:

Blondie583 and Hillbilly Willy like this.
  5. Nov 21, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    pg_osborne89

pg_osborne89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    SR-71A likes this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 at 4:24 PM
    FreshPots

FreshPots "Spared no expense"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Grants Pass, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road "Lars"
    Never enough
    I have a question. I bought my 15 Tacoma about 4 months ago with it certified pre owned. I just installed an OME lift and Im getting light vibes in 2wd at around 10 mph and disappearing about 20 mph. In 4 high the vibes aren't there. I'm assuming it's the needle bearing on driver side. My question is can I take it to the dealer under warrenty for a replacement? I know they have a service bulletin for it. Or will they tell me to kick rocks since I put a lift on it? Ill try and do the fix myself otherwise. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

7. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:21 PM
    Blondie583

Blondie583 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab tacoma
    3" front, 2" rear plus helper springs. Plow frame. New frame from toyota. New wheel bearings, upper ball joints, universal joints, headlights. rattle can paint job on the grill, tail gate and rims.
    I know what my toyota dealer would say. All you can do is try it and see. My dealer would tell me the lift voids any warranty but I think some guys on here have had luck with other dealerships.
    Be sure the vibration isn't from something else. I haven't heard of the needle bearing causing a vibration. Only that it makes a noise like a bad wheel bearing. Mine only made noise. Not a vibration.

SR-71A likes this.
  8. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:29 PM
    normb

normb Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    12 D/C TRD O/F
    I too have an OME lift set to 2 inches. I took mine to the stealership for this issue. The service writer said that the lift did not invalidate the TSB. He said the dealership sells lifted trucks. it would be problematic for them to be selling new trucks not covered by the TSBs.

So far, it is not loud enough for the technician to hear. He said he heard tire noise. Either he is not hearing the same thing I am hearing or he thinks tire noise is rythmic at 35 mph. I need to take it back when it gets louder.

They tried to sell me new tires even though I have tread above the wear bars. After I snapped at him about his claim about the tread, he disappeared quickly.

The stealership thieves in Escondido, CA are billing service time at $145/hour.

9. Mar 7, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    Fishtaco13

Fishtaco13 Member

Member:
    Windsor colo
    Vehicle:
    2013 dbl cab SR5 4x4
    5100 bilsteins with toy tech coils and rear AALs for 3 inch lift, Camburg balljoint UCAs, LED light bar, Snugtop shell, Rola roof rack, Body Armor rocksteps, 275 70r17 KO2s on Toyota TRD SEMA rims
    FYI. I installed the ECGS bushing in my 2013 Tacoma in 2013 with less than 10,000 miles due to vibration after 3” lift (5100 billies with 650 coils and 1/4” spacer). Just removed cv due to torn boot at 90,000 miles and replaced with new. NO ( none, nada) shavings on drain plug. Minimal wear on cv no visible scoring on bushing. Will post pics and update on how the new cv works with the old bushing as I have not driven it yet

SR-71A likes this.
  10. Mar 20, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Jason79

Jason79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR DBL Cab SB
    I just had my 2014 Tacoma lifted & started to hear this grinding noise. Thanks to this thread, I was able to quickly identify the problem. This thread also helped me by informing me that there is a TSB for this exact issue. I called the dealership against my better judgement, and explained everything to them. They said to bring it in, it didn't matter if I lifted the vehicle or not. I had to tell them the exact TSB number that I got from here, he said they can't search for them. I ask about cost & he looked up my account. I was over the 60k power train warranty, but they must of suckered me at some point at purchase into an extended warranty; and that would cover this issue. Since no money out of my pocket, I took the truck in w/ multiple print outs of the TSB; one for the counter & I left one in the truck for the mechanic. They agreed that the TSB was exactly what was going on & had to order the parts & I had to bring the truck back two days later. I guess they can't take your word for it & order parts ahead of time, I understand that. I took the truck back, they performed the TSB & the sound is completely gone. It's been a month now & all is still well. FYI, the cost for this if you have to pay a dealership to do is around $288.43 (no tax). That's $250.00ish for the labor & $46.00ish for the parts. If I had to pay, I would consider the ECGS bushing option; but this is working good so far.

SR-71A and ETAV8R like this.
  11. Mar 23, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Maninthebox88

Maninthebox88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randall
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Tacoma 4x4
    Has anyone had this problem and it NOT go away in 4H? I have this roaring noise that kinda sounds like its oscillating at highway speeds, and sounds even louder when slowing to a stop, sounds like its up front from in the cab but I can't reproduce it in the garage and I have a mechanic stethoscope. It seems to have gotten worse since I put JBA UCAs on the other day.

12. Apr 5, 2020 at 2:24 PM
    Tacomyopathy

Tacomyopathy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    Does anyone have a removal tool I could buy/borrow? Located in Oregon. Noticed a slight vibration in my gas pedal after my lift and figured I should just tackle this sooner than later. Appreciate it

13. Apr 15, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    dborrer

dborrer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x MT
    2018 Frame, stock LCAs. SPC (LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom (Red) LED dome, LED Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs, Spyder LED tails
    Reading this post, reminds me of when I learned about (and successfully) fixed the overhead nav failure with a $0.10 resistor and some solder...

I am calling ECGS tomorrow for their bushing fix and hope to replace my bad bearing very soon..!

14. Apr 16, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    dborrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Frame, stock LCAs. SPC (LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom (Red) LED dome, LED Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs, Spyder LED tails
    Do you still have that tool?

15. Apr 16, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with 2" HS Coils and AAL 265/75/16 BFG KO2 Dirt King UCAs
    Have you had your alignment checked? Rattling / wobbling in the steering wheel when coming to a stop or just noise? If alignment checks out, could this be your wheel bearings? I initially replaced the bearings b/c the roaring sound was directly related to the speed. I could easily spin the wheels while on the jack and hear the noise. You can also try shaking the wheel at 3 and 6 and see if there's some play. This eliminated the roaring ... then the ECGS elminnated the growling I'd get mostly when letting off the gas coasting down a hill next to my house (roughly 20-30mph) and within a few speed ranges. I'm 4 days in with the ECGS and 2 months with the wheel bearings and couldn't be happier. I'm not sure my truck has ever driven this smooth.

16. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:02 PM
    tacoma2g

tacoma2g Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB
    Just set up my appointment today for the bushing to be changed next week at a local shop... I can always send out the tool when the shop is done with it, but I'll post it in the marketplace. Should be next week sometime or week after.

17. May 24, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    dborrer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    Good morning TW:
    I am doing the ECGS swap, all going well and just like as documented in may videos. I have a sort of off topic but related question: Does the painted (bearing/ bushing) surface of this new remanufactured axel (from CVJ Axel -Denver CO) give any concern? Obviously the old CV's wear surface is shinny smooth bear metal from 237k miles of use.... OR am I overthinking this?

IMG_5593.jpg

18. May 28, 2020 at 5:52 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, Tepui Ayer 2, dual batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    Cant say I've ever seen that. But I've only replaced one CV :D

19. Jun 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM
    greentoy

greentoy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    nh
    Vehicle:
    01 2.7 tacoma 4x4 standard
    Hey guys. I just did a leveling and aal in my 15 tacoma. Had new tires put on and had an alignment done. I had my mechanic replace the needle bearing and swap in the ecgs bushing but im still getting vibes in 2Hi that go away in 4Hi. Any suggestions. No diff drop and its definitely still coming from the cv to differential area

20. Jun 13, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    NotUrTaco

NotUrTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver 4x4 Access Cab
    Maybe it's the passenger side bearing? It's not nearly as commonly replaced as the driver side. I would start by crawling under the truck and see how much side to side play each side has in the CV shafts...obviously the one you just replaced shoudn't have much, if any, but it'll serve as a good point of reference for the passenger side.

Products Discussed in

To Top