1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Sep 17, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    Yeah, that's the stuff. I'll probably try something different next go round. I can't bring myself to throw out a product like this before I use it all. Just wondering if anyone else (thanks guys who already responded with product recommendations) had something they swore by that I could try out next time.

2. Sep 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Anyone ever try Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire cleaner? I use that stuff and love it. It takes all the crap off not just the wheels but off the tires too. Makes the tires look black (not brown) without having to put a messy dressing on them

2002Tacoma4x4 likes this.
  3. Sep 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    Who's used meguiar's ultimate fast finish? I applied this weekend after clay barring the truck and one coating of White Light by chemical guys.

CusterFan likes this.
  4. Sep 17, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    I have use Fast Finish 3 times but I found something easier. :) Check this out. This stuff is amazing! Check out the video on the link. :) Hydro Blue will make the black plastic shine also. At least it does on my 7 month old V. Been using it once a month after I hand wash it.

ace96 likes this.
  5. Sep 18, 2018 at 4:09 AM
    bigfoote13

bigfoote13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD SPORT
    2016 Sport suspension 1/2 spacer up front and aal in rear SCS Stealth 6 17 inch wheels Wildpeak AT3 265 70 17
    How long did you get out of the fast finish?

6. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:59 AM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Maybe 6 months. I never used clay before I used the Fast Finish though. I thought it was so easy to apply I would do it every 2 months. This Hydro Blue is easier yet to put on and it covers everything in the tiniest of cracks down to your windshield wiper arms and the cowl under them. Try Hydro Blue and you will leave the Fast Finish on the shelf like I do. LOL

bigfoote13[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    Mcdees84

Mcdees84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB-TRD O/R
    Do you use any wax or sealant with this stuff? Or is this a complete replacement of wax/sealants?

8. Sep 18, 2018 at 11:18 AM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I don't but you can. I just came from the car wash self serve bay. I just use "Rinse" and the bug poo slides right off after baking on the paint for the last 2 days in the hot sun. I use Duragloss Aquawax as a drying aid.

Mcdees84[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    This is a coating. I think it is better than a wax or sealant.

Mcdees84[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    idflyfisher

idflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Eating TRDOR
    1st let me thank All for the great info in this thread. Huge thank you to OP.
    I have a new 2018 that I took up hunting and put some pretty good scratches in the clear coat. Following instuctions found here I was able to get them out using McGuires Scratch X 2.0. Awesome. Problem is it took 2+ hours to do one panel doing it by hand. As a novice I would like advice on the right DA to purchase. This will not be the last time I run through brush getting to a hunting spot.

PackCon likes this.
  11. Sep 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    The Real Moondog

The Real Moondog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moondog
    Somewhere in the SE USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Sold :()
    I would say go to Autogeek or Chemical Guys and watch a few videos before deciding. I got the TORQx from CG and have yet to use it (waiting for it to cool down) but it’s a good beginner to intermediate piece of equipment.

12. Sep 23, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I would start getting out and walking to your spots. Driving around just scares the animals anyways.

A DA polisher will get out very minor pinstriping, but use a cutting compound every year and youll eventually wear through your clear.

I like my Porter Cable a lot. Works great for a cheap entrt machine. Torqx are very nice but more expensive. So youll want to know you will enjoy detailing before you shell out the cash.

13. Sep 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    pudge

pudge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Enfield
    Vehicle:
    Super White Tacoma TRD Pro
    I put a coat of Jet Seal and wax on my truck in May of this year. Should I put another Jet Seal coat on before winter? I live in the northeast.

14. Sep 24, 2018 at 4:53 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Can you tell the sealer is still on?

I put mine on around April-May and leave it on for the full year.

If the sealer is still there and doing its job probably no need to put a new layer on.

15. Sep 24, 2018 at 6:40 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Depends on the conditions your vehicle sees. My guess is you need to apply another coat. Jet Seal says lasts up to a year per Chemical Guys...I don’t buy any manufacturer claims.

16. Sep 24, 2018 at 7:03 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    any good tips on windshield cleaning and prepping, I got a lot of very irritating wiper blade chatter especially the drivers side, it only goes away after awhile when the rain really saturates the windshield but if I use intermittent operation or just a swipe I get a lot of chattering and not good clearing of the windshield. what ive tried recently is clean, clay bar, clean, ZAINO AIO, ZAINO clear sealant. the blade rubber is new OEM Toyota refills which I have also cleaned off with rubbing alcohol thoroughly. any ideas on what works better like using RAINX or other products to help reduce chattering and poor wiper clearing of the windshield. ive never experimented with other aftermarket type blades ive always used OEM rubber inserts which usually work very well but ive noticed that the rubber inserts now sold as Toyota oem inserts maybe are being made from a different source they don't seem to be packaged well like the older versions and maybe a more low quality .

17. Sep 24, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    My process for cleaning my windshield has been wash, clay, polish with DA on highest setting with a microfiber pad and V36 cutting polish.
    Then I do clean with a window cleaner and wipe down once with RainX.

I’ve never gotten chatter with my OEM blades.

I personally do not like to use any coatings or sealers on my windshield out of fear for causing chatter, films, or hazing.
    I might be missing out on great products because of that but my method has worked well so far. I get really good water beading from it.

Benzdriver81 likes this.
  18. Sep 24, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Old Pirate

Old Pirate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    Anyone looking into a polisher and only going to use it on their own truck, then the Porter Cable 7424XP DA Polisher is suited for all of us with no levels of experience and/or skill. The PC delivers smooth results with none of the risk of high powered rotary buffers. I been looking into the first post and see it's outdated from 2008 when I myself was working for ProperAutoCare and Autogeek. I recommend that the thread be close or move to a new one with a vendor who will support us all with our detailing needs with videos , email, phone support. I did mine using a PC and a rotary with the right pads and right polish to remove those nasty swirls and minor scratches from our friendly dealers.

19. Sep 24, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    thanx for the infos, I did do multiple layers of sealant on the truck including all glass, initially I thought the same that it was the sealant layers because of the excessive chatter and skipping on the glass. yesterday after reading few threads on this I decided to clean-clay-clean with a very very light coat of AIO/sealant im about to go take it out for a drive and see if this has improved the situation any. my next step if it doesn't will be clean-clay-clean (Stoner glass cleaner/water repel) to see if its any better. I see RAINX offers a cleaner/water repel and also the original RAINX that you wipe on after cleaning, I like Stoner glass cleaning products I wonder if RAINX would be better at making a slick windshield.

20. Sep 24, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I use the RainX to basically counter any water trapping effect the polish residue might leave.
    RainX is over all a chintzy product but thats kind of why I like it. I know I can easily wash it off if I accidentally use too much.

I have really noticed a difference with a clean windshield. The polisher really just scrubs the heck out of it. I’ve replaced my windshield twice this year and it comes with this greasy film on it that traps water. DA polisher cleans it up.

Also some glass coatings are semi perminent. So you may have to buff them off before adding more. Although I’ve heard that more with coatings like Diamon.

Products Discussed in

To Top