1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Oct 31, 2018 at 6:15 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    No. I have the Porter Cable and I like it.
    It gets kind of a bad rap for shaking your arms off... which is true lol but I like mine.

One day I want to get a Torx because I correct 4 cars per year and I also do side work for friends. I want a beast machine that will save my arms and some time. But were talkin a $500 machine.

Cheaper machines do just fine for basic detailing.

Griots 6’’ I think is another entry level machine that comes highly recommended on here.

2. Oct 31, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    Sauer Taco

Sauer Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Finksburg MD
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCLB BBP
    Yes there was a possible issue between me and the dealer, but we got it worked out this morning, thank fully. So long story short, they had the truck for 3 days, doing some warranty work that I have been waiting on getting done cause my 3 year warranty is about up. When I got the truck back, there was some very noticeable, high scratches throughout the truck. I pointed it out and they agreed to detail the truck to polish out the scratches. On a side note, yes, i was crazy enough to pay the $700 for the simonize paint protection, so I asked if they would be reapplying the simonize after the detailing is finished. they answered yes. So I then asked how long do I need to wait before I can clay bar and wax as I want to make sure the paint is extra protected before the salt starts hitting the streets. That is when they said, well you have simonize on the vehicle, you should never have to do that and besides, the clay bar will scratch your truck. I let that one drop.

Anyway, went to the dealer this morning to review the detail job and gotta say, they did a good job of taking care of it. They are gonna finish up the other work and should have back tonight or tomorrow.

As usual, thank you all for the help and reassuring.

ace96[QUOTED] and CusterFan like this.
  3. Oct 31, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    Willbeck

Willbeck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    00 Reg Cab 4x4
    Bug deflector
    How do i clean all this crap off? It's Arizona clay. I've had the truck steam cleaned, and I've done a couple rounds of simple green and pressure washing. I wish i had a wash bay with a lift, and i could really put some effort into scrubbing it, but i don't have the time or the facilities to do so.

fender.jpg

4. Nov 4, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    wmg

wmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2009 FJ
    BP-51 OEM LIFT..33;s...full skids....dual Batteries
    IMG_0439.jpg
    have the same issue with Pa mud..only thing I cud find to get rid of it was soap cannon, followed by hand brushing with stiff brush....and for you haters no, not concerned about the under side so much as touching up the under coating thats been removed from wheeling before the winter salt ....

5. Nov 9, 2018 at 11:58 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I don’t use them because I keep my headlights coated to prevent UV Damage. Once its starts its just a bear to prevent the plastic from continue oxidizing at a faster rate.

What you need to restore the lens will depend on the level of damage.
    You may be able to use a cutting compound and an orange pad to buff the plastic and finish with a white pad and a finish polish. The follow up with a permanent glass coat to protect the lense. (Make sure you tape the paint off when you do this).

If its bad enough to require sanding I am of the mind just buy new lights and care for the new set and don’t let them fade.

6. Nov 18, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    idflyfisher

idflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boise Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Dirt Eating TRDOR
    Hey @PackCon what product do recommend to keep headlights protected?

7. Nov 18, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    I apply a sealer every 3 months on all my lights. It works very well if you wash your vehicle in a manner that maintains coatings.

I know @ace96 uses Optiglass as a permanent coating. That works better for people who keep up less on detailing

idflyfisher[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:34 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Benzdriver81 likes this.
  9. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    hallux

hallux Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking to get into detailing, I have a Chicago Electric (read Harbor Freight) variable speed sander / polisher. I was wondering if that would be good enough to start with and if it would damage my shit and if it was hard to fuck it up? I've always been interested in getting into detailing as a hobby but never went for it.

10. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    Thats a fine starter machine.

Its not the machine thats going to harm your paint, its the pad and product combination you use.

You need to pick the right products for the job.

pinktaco808 likes this.
  11. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    hallux

hallux Well-Known Member

Member:
    Best place to educate myself on pad / product selection?

12. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Autogeek

PackCon likes this.
  13. Nov 19, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    I use the HF polisher with Meguiar’s Ultimate line and had relatively good results for protecting a daily driver. As mentioned though, pad and product combinations will get you the best results.

Check out this guy as well. He’s a professional detailer that also uses the HF polisher (and he’s got some good info). Beware: he talks A LOT.

https://youtu.be/3-mHKBj31Ig

And here’s his tutorial

https://youtu.be/uHveh9kQ-E4

14. Nov 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    +CQr75pJThObo004xyq6Tg.jpg +CXnG87zSOyyZbm%aQL9Rg.jpg gbhfaOlXTOOrwnoR+LvJ0Q.jpg kl82ElRJS1ucMVy%nLDHog.jpg
    Took advantage of the CG's 25% off sale

BillsSR5, BVita, Benzdriver81 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dec 3, 2018 at 4:10 AM
    SteveThePyrite

SteveThePyrite Member

Member:
    New Jer Sea
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport
    Holy shitstains! Used the clay kit for the first time ever after reading this thread. Was amazed how much it removed, even after a thorough washing. Body feels like glass now. Thanks @mShu7 for this write up!

20181202_153825.jpg

16. Dec 9, 2018 at 9:11 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    Your clay bar looks like that even after a thorough wash? Holy crap batman what the hell is on your paint?:eek: Did that come from the hood?

tAcomaPueblo likes this.
  17. Dec 9, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    Slick Taco

Slick Taco Id Rather Be Airborne

Member:
    Lost somewhere in the PNW
    Vehicle:
    Current vehicles: 2019 Rav4 Lunar Rock. 2018 TRD OR DCSB KD Max tuned. 2010 Tundra Limited Crew Max . 1991 4Runner Crawler. Ivan Stewart Edition
    KD Max Tune, King 2.5 coil overs T.C. UCA's, Deaver leafs, 17x9 Black Rhyno Warlords, 33" Toyo M/T's, Metal Tech rear bumper, Westin HDX drop steps with Bullet Liner coating, K&N CAI, Baja Designs fog pods, Rigid Midnight addition 3" pod ditch lights. Cali Raised brackets and 32" behind the grill mounted light bar, Southern Style Offroad Lopro Stage II front bumper, Warn winch, FACTOR 55 Ultra Hook, FACTOR 55 Hawes Fairleed, full debadge, Cosmetic goodies such as 15% carbon tint, matte black in channel rain guards, interior LED's, Teton Workshop shift knob, Inferno vinyl detailing on the interior, Cali Raised multi rocker switch cubby insert with Mc Tuning LED switches and a few other mods I've probably left out.
    You are officially set up for spa day. The only thing I don't see is a California Blade but I'm sure it's there somewhere :)

18. Dec 9, 2018 at 11:03 PM
    PopeHodge

PopeHodge Well-Known Member

Member:
    High Country, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR DCLB
    Is it worth it to spend $250+ on a full detail from a reputable company?

Long story short, I just don't have the time or patience to spend a full day taking a clay bar, waxing, and detailing the truck. I care about it, but it's just not something that can be high up on the priority list right now.

ABA180 and CusterFan like this.
  19. Dec 10, 2018 at 5:07 AM
    PackCon

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    California Blades are a serious disaster waiting to happen.
    What is included in this “full detail”?

$250 just for paint correction is a great price.
    $250 for inside and out... ehhh make sure you check the place out well before using them. Depending on your area thats a little too cheap to me to be a professional level job.

Prices around me are about $200-$300 for paint correction and full blown inside and out detail with paint correction $500-$600 (for a Tacoma).

I don’t think its a bad deal to pay someone to do your detail. I do it and I detail lol.
    A professional detailer by me I know does a two bucket hand wash for $35. I’m taking my truck to him over the winter because I’m not wanting to wash my own truck.

I’ve paid $300 for my F250 paint correction becauseI was too lazy.

No shame. Just make sure its a reputable detail shop and not some franchise where they have uncertified people doing the detail. These shops that have 5 people at a time paint correcting tend not to be worth the money.

I’m of the opinion to go with the detailers that work on exotic cars and Bentley’s. They are worth their skill money wise.

20. Dec 10, 2018 at 10:24 AM
    PopeHodge

PopeHodge Well-Known Member

Member:
    High Country, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR DCLB
    This is great information. Thank you!!

http://docdetail.net/

This is who I was thinking about going to. Upon further investigation on their site, it looks like you're exactly right. $500 is the starting point for paint correction.

Products Discussed in

To Top