1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*Official* Ask A Detailer Thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mShu7, May 12, 2008.

1. Mar 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    I don’t have any experience with those products but run your fingernail across the scratches. If your nail catches it then a wet sand and buff would be beneficial

ashris[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 11, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    ashris

ashris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashley
    That's good to know! Thanks man!

Nicklovin[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 11, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    What it sounds like you need is to polish the paint. If it truly has fine scratches over it you will do a significantly better and safer job using a machine to fix that. Even if there were no scratches the paint has been exposed to enough years that the paint will dull with time. Sure washing and using a gloss enhancing products (most soaps do this already) will get you some of the way there but nothing applied and wiped off will compare to the improvement of a polish. Do stick to the idea of claying first as this is the best way to rid the surface of embedded contaminants and will keep polishing pads from picking stuff up and dragging, creating more scratches. ScratchX is fine if going after a small scuff here and there, don't try to do an entire panel with it.

ashris[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Mar 11, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    ashris

ashris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashley
    Thanks man! Good to know, What kind of machine should I use?

5. Mar 11, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    The Griot's Garage G9 is probably the best overall entry level machine. It's got a lifetime warranty so you should never have to worry about it. It's a random orbital so it's much safer than trying to polish by hand and infinitely more effective. There are many different liquid abrasives but I'd recommend getting ONE by the brand 3D. It's great because it can go after scratches with a "cutting" pad but also finish down with a "polishing" pad. So it's very pad dependent and the pad does a lot of the work when fixing scratches. Usually no matter the scenario you always want to test your actual paint with pads/liquid abrasive. Pick a pad line and get a variety of pads before you buy a handful more of the ones you need most. While the lightest polishing pad will make the paint look great, it will not remove most swirls or light scratches. So you'll want to have a cutting pad to go after those. You may find a medium pad will be the best of both worlds. DO NOT try to get rid of every scratch, particularly if you can catch it with a nail.

Check out Apex Detail on Youtube for tips on running a polisher as he is a wealth of knowledge and he also has a lot of 3D ONE content. He's got a lot of rotary videos too which is another type of polisher that takes a little more experience to get proficient at, don't concern yourself with those for now. Otherwise most of the other polishing videos will compare to whatever polisher you get. The Griot's machine is an evolution to the Porter Cable but with much more power.

ashris[QUOTED] and Murphinator like this.
  6. Mar 11, 2020 at 11:52 AM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    Why do you recommend not getting rid of deep scratches you can catch with a nail

7. Mar 11, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    I guess I shouldn't say never but to tell someone with limited experience and tools it could lead to problems. To get rid of a scratch you end up leveling the surrounding area to hide it. With a 6" pad that can be A LOT of surface area that now forever has less clear coat than before. This can be problematic for both new or older vehicles. You're losing clear coat to the environment with it just sitting outside every year. So an old vehicle already has less clear coat than when it started and with the newest of vehicles they are getting a shockingly thin layer of clear coat on them. So if you plan on keeping the vehicle for many years you run the risk of clear coat failing prematurely. Think of all those Honda's from the last 10-20 years.

With the proper tools such as a paint depth gauge you can verify how deep you can potentially go. So if you've got plenty of clear to work with, have at it wet sand and then polish it out. However if you went after it with just a polish or even a compound/polish you'd likely knock the edges off a scratch enough that only you can pick it out in the right lighting angles. This preserves the clear coat longer and gives you the ability to polish that same area again. If you've completely removed a scratch you may never get to touch those areas again with a polisher. If you polish too far you end up compromising the UV protection which means just a matter of time before a repaint is needed.

Murphinator likes this.
  8. Mar 11, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    You will be shaving the clear coat very thin at that point and it will start to fail a lot sooner.

gorram likes this.
  9. Mar 11, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    ashris

ashris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ashley
    Thanks dude!!

gorram[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Mar 11, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    Nicklovin

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoless
    Fair enough I was thinking from the mindset of someone experienced, not someone brand new to the sport

11. Mar 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    You can do it as a pro you just have to explain the consequences of doing so. Most of the time you can minimize the appearance of the scratch with out taking off too much clear coat. You know take it from a 15 footer to a 3-4 footer.

12. Mar 15, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sport, access cab, MT, Eibach 2.0 stage 2, tow, silver.
  13. Mar 15, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    J_Hacker

J_Hacker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somewhere in Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '19 White Tundra Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112, CB +2 Shackles, Soft Topper, Method 316, 295’s
    Safe to clay bar headlights? I want to get my headlights good and cleaned up before I put some Jetseal on them.

14. Mar 15, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    J_Hacker[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    bassmusic

bassmusic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spicoli
    Any idea of a fair price to pay for ceramic coating for a Tacoma double cab?

16. Mar 17, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    brosenz

brosenz Well-Known Member

Member:
    I purchased my 2020 last October, hasn't used it much (3K miles), it has been mostly inside the garage, I just washed the car yesterday and I would like to apply wax for the first time, I am looking for good protection for FL weather with minimal applyiing effort.

Based on reviews, I found Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax to be a good product, because I haven't wax the car before I am planning to spray it and dry it to create the base layer (according to the manufacturer's directions). Then I will do a second application by spraying and rinsing (wet method).

Do you have any other suggestion to maximize the paint protection, different product or an improved application method to maximize Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax effectiveness, thanks

17. Mar 17, 2020 at 6:59 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Depends on coating and person doing it. I would expect anywhere from $800-$1200. Keep in mind a pro will do a paint correction before applying.

With you being in Florida, I would apply it monthly especially with it being fairly easy to apply. There are several other similar products out there. I personally like Gyeon Wet Coat or McKees Hydro blue. Both you spray on the vehicle when wet and rinse off.

18. Mar 17, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Skip doing the wet application when starting with base layer. Any of the ceramic products are more or less watered down with this method and won't perform as well long run. Excluding the ones that are activated with a blast of water like hydro 2 or hydro blue. Otherwise upon follow up uses feel free to use as a drying aid as you're drying off post wash as you've already got a base layer.

As for recommendations that spray is probably as good as any of the recent sprays. Though check into some of Meguiar's more recent products. Think they've released better protection products since that was released a couple years ago. If that's the blue bottle one. For some reason m27 is coming to mind as the one of theirs to get.

19. Mar 19, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    makeitcount19sx

makeitcount19sx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Super White '19 SX 4x4 2.7
    ditchies, switchback drls, led lows, minor interior mods, need a cap!
    whats goin on, been into detailing for a few years now started with 05 chevy single cab that i got from down south (super clean/rust free). just wanted to throw some products out there i use on my yota now and have stood by for a while.

Noxon metal polish - i dont have any chrome on yota but this stuff is some of the best out there green bottle. (tool box is gleaming)
    mequiars ultimate quik wax + utlimate black restorer. ive been partial to lately for the "winter" months. (great hydrophobic)
    Aero Cosmetics - Wash Wax all. (highly recommend)
    Chemical guys - v07 (last application) , MAX guard wheel coat (green paste) , White Light Glaze/Sealant.
    Stoner Glass products (give in)
    Black Magic- Bleche Wite Tire Cleaner (no water needed)

20. Mar 26, 2020 at 2:16 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    Am I safe to say that Armor All and other brands interior wipes do not have any disinfecting capabilities to them? So what could I use that would disinfect my truck, but not be to harsh on places like the center console cover,Dash, doors, shifter area, seat belt and so on? We use Meyers all purpose cleaners in the house, so maybe some of that diluted?

Products Discussed in

To Top