1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Backpacking/Climbing/Summit Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by socalexpeditions, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Aug 23, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    I'm partial to Osprey as a pack company. They carry great and can take a beating.

For years I used Mountain Hardware for tents. Nothing but good things to say about them. Last year my wife picked up a Big Agnus Copper Spur HV UL2. After 15 or so uses it's become my favorite tent of all time. It's lighter then my MH Skyledge 2 and has way more room. Time will tell how it lasts but I've heard they have exceptional customer service.

After using Petzl and BD headlamps for years I gave the NiteCore NU25 a try 2 years ago. I didn't really expect much but it's become the lamp I grab when I'm heading out to do anything.

2. Aug 23, 2020 at 10:58 PM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions [OP] IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Tomorrow I’m going to pickup the backpack from REI! I believe the Osprey Talon 33 pack is the one I will pick and use for years to come.

I’ll checkout the tent and headlamp you recommended as well. Again, really appreciate your response!

3. Aug 23, 2020 at 11:17 PM
    OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad DCSB Prem+Tech Super White
    Blown ankle tendon on the trail subsequent surgery/recovery followed by covid gym closures and wildfires burning up 135+ miles of the Arizona Trail have set back my plans on section hiking the 800 mile trail.

My plan is to finish the trail (700 miles to go) hopefully by end of next year but likely 22 since one fire burned up 60 miles of trail and it's closed until at least March. once finished will immediately book Rainer followed by some winter climbing here in AZ then Whitney via mountaineers route. Would also love to do the Unitah highline trail bag some 14ers here and there. Elbrus would be epic too

Right now running Gregory packs one 55l for backpacking and mid size day pack for my 15-20+ mile day hikes. Small Camelback for short day hikes. Will probably end up with a hyperlite mountain gear backpacking bag which will bring my base weight down to just over 10lbs.

Also second the copper spur hv ul2 tent great tent not too much heavier than the much more expensive UL options.
    BD spot headlamps have been great for me keep one in the bag and one in the truck for truck camping to save battery in my backpacking light.
    FB_IMG_1571886662815.jpg

4. Aug 23, 2020 at 11:30 PM
    theesotericone

theesotericone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bishop CA
    If you get a Whitney permit add on an extra day. Summit Whitney and move camp back to Upper Boy Scout Lake. Get up early and do the East Ridge of Russell. Hike out. That's 2 14er's in one trip.

If you got more time Split Mt is pretty easy. There's a small class 4 section gaining the base past Red Lake.

Still got time on your hands? White Mt is literally a walk up.

If your more into technical routes I'd be happy to give you the info on the rest of the 14er's on the East Side.

5. Aug 23, 2020 at 11:34 PM
    OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad DCSB Prem+Tech Super White
    Nice I was also planning on hitting up the NV state highpoint on that trip too probably post Whitney

6. Sep 7, 2020 at 12:59 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Mt Baker last weekend

6DD830A4-F50D-4309-9B89-C56B98C4B50D.jpg

7. Sep 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    disconnected

disconnected LOST

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Off-Road
    Icon 2,5'' coilovers and rear springs, RCI full skids, caliraised sliders, Warfab hitch skid, UpTop roof rack, kb voodo bed rack, Diode Dynamis Pro fogs, Seat Jackers with Molle, taco garage mounts..... and other stuff

I’m the past I had good luck with mountainsmith. Now I have had great success with Osprey. I’ve got a Talan 33 and Atmos 50. Previous to the Atmos I had a ULA. Cool pack but never fit right.

My previous tent was a North Face Tadpole. It was great for quite some time but catastrophically wore out. I’ve had great success with REI tents and also have a Marmot for when the entire family goes.

8. Sep 9, 2020 at 3:57 AM
    Scrat

Scrat GRYLNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    V6 SR5 '15
    ARE CX Topper, Yakima rails with various accessories, Bilstein 5100, Icon RXT, OME 886 coils, Firestone Ride-Rite, 265/75/16 KO2, Mobtown Offroad Rear Bumper., Diode Dynamic map and dome lights, headlight harness, Cali-raised bed stiffeners, Cali Raised accessory bed mount, Cobra 75wx st, Leixen VV898e, Safari Snorkel, SOS Sliders, CBI Full skids pack, and more coming!
    @Allan 4x4 and I backpack often. Just did a few miles this weekend on AT and came back from San Juan in July. subd

socalexpeditions[OP] likes this.
  9. Sep 9, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    Scrat

Scrat GRYLNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    V6 SR5 '15
    ARE CX Topper, Yakima rails with various accessories, Bilstein 5100, Icon RXT, OME 886 coils, Firestone Ride-Rite, 265/75/16 KO2, Mobtown Offroad Rear Bumper., Diode Dynamic map and dome lights, headlight harness, Cali-raised bed stiffeners, Cali Raised accessory bed mount, Cobra 75wx st, Leixen VV898e, Safari Snorkel, SOS Sliders, CBI Full skids pack, and more coming!

Thats a tall order, what kind of trip? Long, short, UL...

-I prefer Osprey, have the Atmos 65 for shorter weekends and the Aether 85 for extended trips. (not UL packs)
    -Tents, for beginner, I like the REI Passage 3, but their are lighter tents, Nemo and Hubba bubba. I'd stick with a 2 person for the extra space. Some also like using hammocks on East coast.
    -If you get the newer Osprey Aether packs, the hood is a built-in day pack, but there are quite a few ultralight packable daypacks.
    -I like the Black Diamond Spot 160. it only takes 3 AAA and is IPX8 rated. I have used it all summer ad still haven't needed to change batteries. Keep in mind all the various fuel/power sources you have. I only use solar (luci lantern), AAA, and rechargeable+battery (phone/camera) devices to minimize the various amounts of extra batteries and cables I might need.

10. Feb 17, 2022 at 8:12 PM
    Mazdadan

Mazdadan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    BONES JONES
    C6B61C52-9823-471E-9115-DFE88875DB1B.jpg EA1E48ED-8526-4092-99EC-A51CC856BF95.jpg ECC97067-B487-4FCE-B438-B7BF4F377A95.jpg I’ve hiked my balls off, best thing is to get out there and drop your balls on the trails whenever you can. The first hike I ever did outside of a few miles was the John Muir Trail that ends (or begins) on Mt Whitney . Spent our time and hiked all 214 miles plus another 30-40 mile of side hikes over 23 days. That was back in 09.

I had been living in chicago for the past 10 years and really only got out once or twice a year to do a week long or so hike. Been all over Cali and that got my butt kicked hiking the THOROFARE in Yellowstone. On paper that one should have been easy but that’s the hardest time I’ve ever had on trail.

this past week, now living In Phoenix, I left at 2 am and drove the Grand Canyon and hiked South Kaibab-phantom ranch-bright angel and then drove back the same night, such a wonderful experience.

anyways, you can look up gear all day long and it really all boils down to budget and preference. The only thing I have ever spent too dollar on would be my Osprey packs. For the week long plus hikes it’s nice to shave weight but that typically comes with a price.

for a tent I have always used REI ones, always a great bargain, I have the half-dome plus and there is more than enough room for 2 comfortably and sets up very quickly.

I have 5 different Osprey packs depending on what I’m doing. The Osprey anther 70 was what I used for the Muir and honestly it’s too much unless you are going Solo and need to pick everything.

The Atmos 50 has met my needs on week long travels with a partner, unfortunately a bear canister will eat up a ton of space as you can’t lay it horizontally, so if you’re hiking where a canister is needed it’s not a bad idea to go larger.

The Osprey mantra 20 is a great pack for longer day hikes where you might need extra space for clothing

the canyon hike I did I found a good deal at the REI garage for a Osprey duro 15 hydration pack and that’s hands down the most comfortable day pack I’ve ever used, I have a feeling that will become my go-to.

for headlamps I also picked up the black diamond spot 160, it’s cheap and effective, I started the canyon hike in the dark and had no issues seeing the trail.

anyways, comfort is the biggest thing, Osprey doesn’t work for everyone but I have always been satisfied and never had any major issues in all these years.

Also, enjoy some pics from the canyon..

11. Mar 7, 2022 at 6:14 AM
    mic_sierra

mic_sierra Toshiba HDDVD is the future

Member:
    Elsewhere
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 Auto
    Check out Eberlestock. I have the High Speed II that I use as a day pack and a G3 Phantom for longer excursions although I have never taken the Phantom into the bush on my back, not yet at least. If I were staying out for a week I would though. Plenty of room.

12. Mar 7, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    socalexpeditions

socalexpeditions [OP] IG: @socalexpeditions

Member:
    Thank you for reviving this thread! Great experience and info and I appreciate the help. Glad to hear you’re back to the west coast and can get back to doing what you love more!

13. Mar 23, 2022 at 12:37 PM
    Kenstogie

Kenstogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    19 SR 2.7 4x4
    if your looking for gear recos.... homemade wanderlust on YT has quite a few and she seems to be genuine.....as well as being a triple crowner.....

Products Discussed in

To Top