1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL CENTRAL KY THREAD

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by Poe, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Sep 20, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    Welcome....

No help on the topper

2. Sep 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    danwray

danwray Traitor

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2021 Ford F150 XL 4x4 2.7 ecoboost
    It was many years ago, but I had them line x the bed on my colorado at the time and I thought they were fine to work with and the quality was top notch.

Bluegrass_Tactix likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Justinhisle

Justinhisle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Same for me. They line-x’d one of my truck beds several years back. Did a great job and we’re good to work with the best I can remember.

Bluegrass_Tactix likes this.
  4. Oct 2, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    MightyMouseTom

MightyMouseTom Balance off road vs on road performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black DCSB
    2inch lift, 285/75/17 Nitto Trails Grapplers, Billy 6112/5100s AAL, Alpine Design Cab mount relocation, TRD Supercharger w/URD pulley, Volant Ram Air Intake, TRD Exhaust, Katzkin, TechDeck, Ram mounts, Audio w/hideaway kicker amp, CBI skid, Custom grille, and SS3 fogs
    Gents (and possibly ladies) I have a Kentucky blue hi temp painted URD SuperGrip 2.825 Super Charger pulley that I ended up not mounting on my truck. I also have the install kit. Before I strip the paint and try to sell it I thought I’d post here to see if any of you BBN fans wanted to purchase it. I’ll sell it for $70 and you pay shipping. Will easily fit in a small USPS priority box.

AB252A9B-94C4-4522-AC70-357A09683820.jpg
    A2CD21A9-1739-40C2-9D31-D36AA5E6BB61.jpg

5. Nov 27, 2020 at 7:08 PM
    Metalhead514

Metalhead514 Darth Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off Road
    MBRP catback, Magnuson TVS 1900 Supercharger, Injen Evolution intake, Race Louvers RST hood vent, Avid front and rear guards and side steps, Cali raised front/ rear LED's, TRD Pro Skid plate, custom aux fuse box, Bak Flip tonneau.
    Hey everyone!

I'll be coming to KY in January for an internship at the Toyota plant in Georgetown and just wanted to say hi and see what kind of off roading is in the area! I have a pretty much stock '16 TRD OR 6spd MT. I've got mild guards, lights, and a CB. I haven't done much crawling but would like to get better at beginner-ish technical stuff. Mostly I take short, higher speed dirt trail runs (I've been to 60mph on dirt trails) or mess around in packed sand.

I'll be staying in Frankfort for the entirety of my internship (Jan-Apr), so what's nearby? Fun trails? Scenic drives? Thanks in advance!

Bandido, TeecoTaco and Justinhisle like this.
  6. Nov 27, 2020 at 7:20 PM
    Justinhisle

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Not sure about truck trails but the red River gorge area is very scenic for drives and hiking. It’s a little over an hour from Lexington

Metalhead514[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 27, 2020 at 7:22 PM
    Metalhead514

Metalhead514 Darth Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off Road
    MBRP catback, Magnuson TVS 1900 Supercharger, Injen Evolution intake, Race Louvers RST hood vent, Avid front and rear guards and side steps, Cali raised front/ rear LED's, TRD Pro Skid plate, custom aux fuse box, Bak Flip tonneau.
    Out here in Washington, we sometimes use forest service roads. Got anything like that out there?

8. Nov 27, 2020 at 7:26 PM
    Justinhisle

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    There is tons of back roads/ service roads in the gorge area that might be of interest. I’m not for sure specific ones though. I’ve been searching for some good spots myself.

9. Nov 27, 2020 at 7:59 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    I did this, great input from the locals

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/frankfurt-bowling-green-visit.498088/#post-15462646

Bandido and Metalhead514[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    Metalhead514

Metalhead514 Darth Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Off Road
    Bandido and TeecoTaco[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Nov 27, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Disregard that I splelet Frankfurt incorrectly in the title

12. Dec 1, 2020 at 6:19 AM
    DerbyCityTaco

DerbyCityTaco The Air Cargo Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Louisville Ky
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    What's up guys, anyone have any experience with leaf packs? Specifically the OME HDs, deavers or anything else considered a heavy duty pack? Its about time i pull the trigger and just upgrade my suspension. Not to lift or looks but because im tired of riding home from Earth First and home depot smashing the bump stops. I dont haul or tow that often or id just upgrade to a tundra. My question would be, anyone with one of those heavy duty packs, which one did you get? and how's the ride unloaded? Every dealer ive spoken to has quoted the normal specs and i get that ride is subjective. Just not wanting to get my teeth rattled when its empty because i went with something too heavy duty when "X" pack would have done the job etc...

13. Dec 3, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.

If you don't haul anything heavy, then just adding a rear leaf spring will be beneficial to you in the rear. Anytime you're adding a rear leaf, its going to be a stiffer ride unless you have weight on them. You could add air bags if you're wanting a "Soft" ride. Heavy duty leaf packs are going to ride stiff as a board with no weight because they're designed to carry more load.

14. Dec 3, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    kywoodsrider

kywoodsrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tacoma Access Cab Off Road Package
    There are a lot of FS roads in the Daniel Boone National Forest
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/dbnf/home
    Look under the Recreation link
    I like the area near Mckee KY.

In the Red River Gorge area check out the Daniel Boone Back Country Byway
    There is info here in the "where to ride section"
    https://redriverscramble.com/
    This is primarily a motorcycle site but many of the roads are open to jeeps/trucks
    There are maps and GPS files

Attached Files:

15. Dec 4, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    I've got the Dakar HD packs, and removed the 3rd leaf after running them a while for more flex off road. Definitely did what I wanted in that realm, and a bit better on pavement. That was after having a Deaver AAL that really didn't do much after about 2 years of wheeling and hauling stuff, that's not the fault of the AAL, just the fact they weren't intended for increased capacity.
    If I didn't jump to Dakars, I was considering a 3-leaf progressive AAL. Either from Headstrong, Icon, or others.

I've still got my stock pack and the AAL if you're interested, dirt cheap if you come get em. Just need new center pins and maybe some isolators. 60k-ish on the stock leaf I'd say and maybe 25k on the AAL.

Cody made a fine point, though. I suggest a new bump stop to go along with your new leafs or AAL pack, might as well u-bolt flip while you're at it. It's all right there and you'll be taking them off anyway, especially being a 2008 you'll wanna replace the u-bolts simply due to road grime and salt corrosion if they're originals.

16. Dec 4, 2020 at 6:40 AM
    DerbyCityTaco

DerbyCityTaco The Air Cargo Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Louisville Ky
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD OR
    I wouldn't put myself into a heavy hauler category or like i said, id just trade up. Ill run some scoops of topsoil, sand, loads of firewood etc 1-2 times a month from louisville up to the knobs. Outside of that, normal truck use (probably 180lbs constant load, random hauling) . Wouldnt venture a guess at weight but i know im pushing my setup (3rd gen sport shocks/springs, Toyota Recall Leafs) too hard. Main reason for thinking HD vs Medium is honestly, lack of experience. Last truck was a C10, never really had to care. But if a medium pack is going to be leaps and bounds better than what i got and do fine, sweet. I'm just not experienced enough to know the difference between the two levels and how big of a difference they are over stock.

Yeah i gotta look and see if the extras back there are originals. I know the leafs are the oem recall replacements and shocks are 3rd gen take offs. Ill get under there tomorrow and look.

I appreciate your offer, it will have to be after the holidays or tomorrow so i will PM you. Perks of working at UPS in December, 2 days off this month! Woot woot.

Edit/Follow up. Shocks and possibly springs WILL be included with the leafs. Just doing the research of 5100 (w stock vs OME springs) vs 6112, yada yada same old same old first time suspension guy stuff.... But also definitely adding a diamondback cover as soon as feasible... not a fan of leaving my stuff in the bed, in Louisville, under a cover that i could cut through with a pair of scissors....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  17. Dec 4, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    Keep in mind the Dakar HD will lift the rear, so you'll need extended length shocks, good for at least 3" lift. I'm running Fox on mine and I can get the PN for you, they're about $250 for the pair iirc. Those Fox shocks would be more than enough for stock pack with single AAL, or stock pack and 3-leaf progressive.

DerbyCityTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Dec 9, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Gen2Tacoma

Gen2Tacoma A Question Asked is an Answer Learned!

Member:
    North East Atlanta
    Any of you guys ever make it down to Atlanta found something up your way to purchase and looking for a TW Express. So just Checking. Thanks!

19. Dec 10, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    Bluegrass_Tactix

Bluegrass_Tactix Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro
    About 3 months of waiting, but I finally got that z series installed yesterday!

truck_camper.jpg

20. Dec 23, 2020 at 1:39 PM
    fleckosaurus

fleckosaurus Certified Toyota Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Versailles, KY
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra
To Top