1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL GB: SHOK INDUSTRIES SOUND DEADENING MATT

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by manethon, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    Probably Shok. I wish I had jumped on this when the GB was going on.
    Will a hair dryer work in place of a heat gun for this app, or will it just add that much more time to the job?
    What dealer did you use if you don't mind me asking.

Thx

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Jan 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    A hair dryer will work, but I found that I didn't even need the heat gun. It has been around 75 to 80 degrees and the Shok Mat was pliable enough to form to most all of the surface (you want to make as much surface contact as possible with the Butyl rubber side again the truck panels/floorboard). A hairdryer will work fine, but I would worry about it damaging the hair dryer from prolonged running. I found that if you remove a portion of the backing paper (say 3 to 4 inches) and starting on one end rolling it on as you apply it from one end to the other, it will adhere to the surfaces fine and you don't have to worry about pockets of air, etc. The trick is just to apply the mat a little at a time working from one end to the other, not laying the whole sheet down and then rolling.

One thing I also noticed about the Shok Mat versus the Dynamat is that the Shok Mat seems like the butyl rubber is stickier, so it REALLY stays on when applied. It is so sticky that removing the backing paper can be tricky, especially where the folds on the pads are.

I am not sure what you mean by what dealer I used? I bought the Shok Mat here in the GB (thanks again Manethon!) and picked up the Dynaliner through Amazon. I did the work myself over about a week working a couple of hours every day. I have a really messed up spine, so I have to limit my work and take a lot of breaks. Most of you younger guys can get this done in a weekend easy.
    Ken

3. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    One question that I have is where to install the padding, not the butyl rubber/foil on doors? I have seen a bunch of instruction on YouTube, etc. and there are two schools of thought: install it on the door itself over the butyl rubber/foil mat or install it on the inside of the door panel itself. Does anyone have any input as to what is the better option?
    Thanks,
    Ken

4. Jan 1, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    shawnphoto

shawnphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    MT
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Tundra
    First Gen Tundra Linked and Long Travel
    I'm assuming this gb is long gone?

5. Jan 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Yes, introductory shok Matt group buy is closed,
    I'm working on them to get another going but my next focus is the big3 kits

6. Jan 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    Tuctaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    Thanks Ken.
    Sorry, I was actually asking manethon where he got it from.

Thanks again..

Todd

7. Jan 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

No worries, sorry I misunderstood.

8. Jan 2, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I finally got everything buttoned up today. I used 1/2" DynaLiner on some spots on the rear wall and 1/8" in others. The 1/2" made it VERY difficult to get the plastic panels to snap into place and in fact would NOT snap in all of the clips. Good thing about the rear panels is that one side utilizes 3 bolts and the other side utilizes 1 bolt (in addition to the clips) so it helps a lot with holding the panels in place. I would rather have them a little loose and silent than all snapped in and not as quiet and that was the choice I went with. I had feared this about the rear panels as well as the front kick panels and door trim, but even with Shok Mat, 1/2" of Stinger Road Kill Carpet Pad (which is awesome too BTW) all of the panels with the exception of the rear wall fit into place easily, even with the stock carpet pad still attached to the carpet.
    One tip I will give guys with Double Cabs is that when you remove the rear seats, take off the four little plastic covers (two on each seat) that are located on the back of the seat in the lower corners and remove the bolts holding the seats to the brackets, then remove the brackets separately (rather than trying to unbolt the brackets from the floor while attached to the seats). This is a LOT easier.
    I cannot say enough about the Shok Mat though. I am really impressed with the product and their customer service. Russel at SM was SUPER to deal with and always answered questions quickly and shipped the product FAST too. I wish they made sound deadening pad to compete with product like DynaPad and DynaLiner.
    One thing that is still driving me a little nuts is that wind noise from the escaping air when the air is on. It is coming from the passenger side rear wall just below or at the bottom of the rear window. I looked at the back of the cab between the bed and cab and cannot see any obvious holes, etc. Any idea what is causing this?
    Anyway, as promised here are some more pics of the project in progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jan 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    The easiest way to seal that off is to seal it off.
    Remove the seat belt tension mechanism
    Behind that is the cab vent, position 3 bags in one in the area.
    Fill bags w low rise expanding foam
    Let it dry,trim if needed. Cover metal panel and bag w one solid piece of Matt
    Reinstall seatbelt mechanism

Problem solved.
    If you need pics of where it is, I can try take some tomorrow

Those pads are really not needed or worth producing.
    Their biggest benefit is actually behind the speaker on the inner door panel it in
    Reality there are easier better options than that.

I call it a speaker sock made out of the same soft foamy material that improves speaker sound quality further but again, it's main purpose is that and only that. Unless you have a very good ear,you will not notice the difference.

Your better off spending the money on doubling up on the outer door skin w deadener

10. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

Thanks Manethon. It really sounds like the noise is coming from right below the window though? I left the truck running and sat on the floor of the rear of the truck before I installed the DynaLiner and it seemed like I could pinpoint it to an area within 6" or 8". Unless it was making some funny echo or something, playing tricks with my ears, but I doubt it. It was also only coming from the passenger side, I couldn't hear anything from the driver side.
    I was thinking that when I get around to doing the roof, I would stuff some Polyfill in there lightly so that air could still pass through but it would help muffle the sound. I know a lot of install shops use the stuff to help muffle sound in hollow areas.
    I was always told that the skin (the stuff with the butyl rubber) was to stop vibration, and that "hollow" sound and that the foam barrier was to muffle the sound?
    Ken

11. Jan 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    This does both but I have 2-3" layers across my entire truck.
    I was just speaking based on my findings.
    As I do water crossings I also didn't want to put any foam in my truck ( besides the rear vent)

I found that just with deadener on the road noise is still present but massively reduced.
    Once I put all the panels back, it sealed up the window line allot better and further reduced the noise

12. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    Tuctaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Great job Ken.

13. Jan 3, 2014 at 10:28 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

Gotcha, makes total sense.

14. Jan 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

Thanks man. I am seriously hurting now. My back neck and knee are all screaming at me. This has got to be the last time a do a job like this, at least on the floor boards. Yikes!

15. Jan 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Roof beat me up!

16. Jan 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

Yeah, kinking your neck back like that to stare at the ceiling is hard on the old neck. I am dreading that project. I had the doors down in my Tundra where I could do a door in about an hour (not counting the outside skin), but of course it took me four doors to get it down so by the time I had it down I was finished:(
    I am going to wait and recover then try to tackle one door a day.

17. Jan 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
  18. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    any word on another group buy?

19. Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    manethon

manethon [OP] TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Had 5 packs left for group buy 2 with the /shok wire but those sold in 2 min.
    I have complete sold them out of their stock!

For all those that still want This great product, missed out or didn't have funds ready, I'll be working on something for you guys in the near future. Stay tuned.
    I know shok has a few things currently In the works and I'm doing my best to get tw taken care of :)

20. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    If you look back in the beginning of this thread, I was, well, to put it mildly "skeptical" about this group buy, but Manethon was right, the Shok Mat is awesome and a GREAT deal. The customer service was GREAT and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again and again. I have done my entire floor board and back wall and am doing the doors and roof next to complete the project. I would definitely recommend it to anyone doing a sound deadening project.
    Thanks again Manathon and Shok Industries.
    Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top