1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*OFFICIAL GOPRO THREAD*

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Bmxcast00, May 14, 2011.

1. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:28 PM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
    I was able to find used Hero 3 Black. Would like to know what video setting you guys use just for recording high quality everyday videos? More questions to come, thanks.

2. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:51 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Depends on what you're recording. Faster movement higher fps. Everyday footage, anything with 30fps is plenty. The higher the quality, the better your video is going to look.

3. Apr 19, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    So I just started dabbling with my GoPro's Time Lapse feature. Last night I took a short lapse of the moon rising from early in the evening until dark. I changed the Capture interval to 5 seconds and left everything else default. Once I purchase a skeleton case so that I can hook up an external power supply I will focus on longer duration videos. Like I said I've just started learning the in's and outs of all this. Hell I didn't find the night lapse option until after I filmed this yesterday evening :anonymous:

These are the settings I plan on using once I have an external power supply.
    Mode: Night Lapse
    Shutter: 30 seconds
    Interval: 1 minute
    Megapixels: 12mp Wide
    Spotmeter: Off
    White Balance: 5500k
    Color: Flat
    ISO: Max 400 - If there is a moon. ISO: 800 - No moon
    Pro Tune: On
    Sharpness: High - Not sure about the Sharpness....

Any input from you guys on these settings would be appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-U1LsjrnpeeUUFMNkpDaXlHcDQ

4. Apr 19, 2016 at 8:57 AM
    MatthewMay1

MatthewMay1 I'm an amateur professional.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Anybody have one of those new Hero Sessions? It seems like it would be a good secondary camera to my hero 3+

5. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:00 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    A buddy of mine does and he likes it. His main use is for track days. He recorded 5 track sessions with it and after the battery was at 70%. That's better than my Hero 4 would do for sure.

6. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    Wow, yeah that sounds good. My only concern was that the battery isn't removable.

7. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Haha yep. That is why I went with the Hero4 when I was in the market. I don't suppose it matters though. I would think GoPro would stand behind it if the battery crapped out. If I were to buy a second camera I'd probably go with the session.

8. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:12 AM
    MatthewMay1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Lone Star Republic
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '01 TRD
    My thoughts exactly. I think having a Hero 3+black is a great primary camera and a session would be a great secondary to that. Maybe I'll wait until the new line of cameras roll out so I can get the Session for cheaper.

Toyotacrawler[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.

Looks great. Did you stop the camera and change the ISO or anything once it got darker or just let it go?

10. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:33 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    Exactly! Price would be another reason to go with the Session

Thanks! I didn't. I just hit record and let it go. I'm going to use the night lapse feature tonight and compare with the Time lapse from last night. I'm just not sure how the battery will last using the night lapse feature. The only case I have right now is the waterproof case so there is no way for me to externally power it.

11. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    So the Night Lapse didn't turn out so well. I had the ISO set at 400 which was way too high. I had no idea it was so bright in the back yard. This was taken from 7pm til 10pm and with the naked eye you cannot see the trees at all that are past the Gazebo. I will try this again, turning off the flood lights and moving the camera on the other side of the Gazebo on the dock. I'll change the ISO setting to 100 and see if that helps at all. I don't like the stuttering of the video either. Not sure how to correct that. Any tips? There is nothing I can do about the bright light to the left of the video. It's a security light on the power pole that cannot be turned off. Here is the video below. Trial and error.... The video is 1080p so be sure to change that if Youtube doesn't do it automatically.
    https://youtu.be/FchbQV5YZSw

12. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Its not the iso its the shutter setting. The more the shutter is open, the more light it is taking in. Shorten the shutter time.

13. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:21 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    OK thanks. I was going by what I'd read. I'm assuming that with this damn near full moon it's going to be hard to get the stars. Would you suggest 2-10 second shutter?

14. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    You may be able to edit after and darken it to get a few stars in there, but with that hefty light there, it's going to be a little hard. 2 isn't enough. Basically the darker the area, the more shutter you will need. 30 seconds would be for almost no light at all. The darker the area, the more iso you will need.

15. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:32 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    OK. I might have to go to the other side of those trees out in the field and set up. That might help block that security light a little bit. Round number 3 tonight as long as the weather cooperates. Thanks for the tips!

MedlinAround[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:

Playing around with it is the best way to learn. Take a photo, see how it turns out. If its too bright, lower it. Too dark, do the opposite.

17. Apr 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    OK this video is a bit better but I still have to work on some issues. Not sure what caused the flashing effect for the second half of the video. I left the flood lights on for the duration of this video. Only thing I can think of is there was a street light flickering somewhere nearby???? Here is a link. Be sure to watch in HD
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-U1LsjrnpeeSjlaM2stWDhtNUE

18. May 2, 2016 at 3:38 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Got a Zhiyun Z1-Evolution 3-Axis Gimbal for one of my GoPros the other day and I've got to say it works amazingly well. With a LCD backpack on it acts like a regular video camera so you can frame your shots and everything remains steady. Battery life (so far) has been around 6 hrs (and that's also powering the GoPro). It uses two 18650 batteries which are easy to come by.

Here is a sample when I first got it. Need to learn how to walk to take the "bounce" out of your steps if you want to get the "flying through the air effect" but just regular use it works amazingly well.

Here is the review

19. May 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:

That's what I've began shooting with. You can check out some of my latest videos with it. Youtube name is Medlinaround

20. May 9, 2016 at 10:14 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I need to get on their website and download the firmware update and also the software to allow gimbal calibration. Mine has become off center by a few degrees which makes the shot unlevel. I tried the offline calibration but couldn't get it to work. Still a great piece of equipment though.

Products Discussed in

To Top