1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official "Slimcubby" HID Kit Install DIY

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CableTec, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Eltacos

Eltacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    BFE CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    LED conversion on every accessible bulb, TRD exhaust (dealership threw in for free along with the Blu-Logic).
    I have a similar kit. It is true you just pull the parts apart and the boot fits easily sealing everything. One thing I have to note: I have never been flashed for running my HID H4 plug and play. I have been flashed by running HID 9145 foglights. I took the plug and play out of the foglights and no more flashing me. I now plan on doing a TRS retrofit on my foglights.

2. neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    BruteForceFab Front/Rear Bumper, All Pro IFS Skid, BAMF Sliders, Spidertrax Spacers, UWS Toolbox, HID headlights, Ridgid D2 Fogs, LED's everywhere
    Which ballast is recommended to use? I have heard the slim digital ballasts are more likely to go out. Any truth to that? I see on the site it says most popular is slim..unless thats a marketing trick ;)

3. slimcubby

slimcubby www.slimshidxenonsource.c om Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Lol it's not a marketing trick they are the most popular and also have a lower defective rate than the regular ballasts. The reason you may not hear about the regular ballasts going bad that often is because I rarely sell them so there isn't much of them in use. :)

4. Mj2111

Mj2111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Hawaii, kalihi
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD sport double cab
    Thanks was very helpful I got it today and installed them in about 1 hr only cause it was hard to get the clip on the left side of the Tacoma thanks again great write up

5. RenoSteve84

RenoSteve84 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hi, Sorry for this is probably a dumb question. When you say the shield should be down, do you mean it should be inserted where the shield is on top of the bulb? or do you mean it should be on the underside of the bulb? Thanks for the help.

6. slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    You want the shield on the bottom.

7. TennesseeFan76

TennesseeFan76 I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Member:
    First Name:
    Phill Goodfactor
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner DCLB
    3 inch lift, Debadged, 5% Tint, Custom Stereo, BHLM, Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals, OEM Bedmat, Plasti Dip Front Valence, Slims 6K HIDs (thanks goes to TheGloryFades), Hyper yellow fog lights, LED interior lights, Satoshi Grille with FJ Emblem, Pro Comp lights behind Satoshi, FatMat
    Awesome Kit! Can't wait to see the lights at night! Thanks OP! Couldn't have installed the HIDs with out this thread. And yes, shields are down and lights will be properly aimed tonight.

8. Deserted1

Deserted1 Hellion

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Murrieta
    Vehicle:
    4wd Super White
    Icons
    Ordered my kit yesterday and its been shipped today, wish I would have known they were in SD I would have drivin down to pick it up as they are 30 miles from me :)

Hopefully they will be bright enough, I got the (OEM 4k) color range as I wanted more light but not super white to draw attention from 50..

9. Deserted1

Deserted1 Hellion

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Murrieta
    Vehicle:
    4wd Super White
    Icons
    Haha, I'm kind of pissed. I bought these lights installed them and have yet to drive anywhere at night yet LOL...

10. Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Sin City
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
  11. Techno Duck

Techno Duck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    LI,NY
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport
    Just installed my HID kit from The Retro Fit Source which looks like it uses similar bulbs to the Slimcubby kit.

Here are some pictures of the rubber boot fitted to the HID bulbs.. hope this is helpful to anyone doing this in the future.

As mentioned, the bulb and H4 'adapter' base can be separated by twisting. You can then fit the rubber boot over the H4 adapter base by stretching it ever so slightly over the neck of the front base. Really easy to do, just dont touch the bulb when you take it apart :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than that, installation is very easy..took me longer to figure out a nice mounting spot for the ballasts than to actually install and wire everything.

12. Rebel Taco Man

Rebel Taco Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2002 Manual TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilsteins front and rear, Eibachs up front, 2" Toytec AAL in rear, Diff Drop, Grey Wire Mod, Kobalt tool box, Bulldog Keyless entry, Sportsman max-4 seat covers, modded EL Bazooka basstube, Friends of Coal sticker and license plate, Green Hooks, Green Emblems, Green LED sony radio, Green shiftknob.
  13. TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '06 Boosted Lifted 4X4 DCSB
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    Sub'd... Installing mine on Friday

14. TuFerLife

TuFerLife 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '06 Boosted Lifted 4X4 DCSB
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    Writeup was fantastic... Worked like a champ! Thanks again!

15. WarDamn

WarDamn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Has anyone installed these in the aftermarket projector headlights?

16. davidjmay

davidjmay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Orange County/Azusa
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Pioneer HU & door speakers, Alpine type R, Kicker dx1000.1, OME 883 lift, Wheelers 2" AAL, custom mesh grille, smoked LED taillights, LED light bar, Raptor exhaust dumped before axle, custom fabbed roll bar/light bar mount
  17. Silverbear

Silverbear Member

Member:
    Auburn WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab
    AAL 5100 Billys Fog Light mod
    Ok so when's the next group buy?

18. rcosta11482

rcosta11482 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    miami
    Vehicle:
    09 silver taco
    Just installed my HID's today and WOW what a difference! I purchased Kensun HID's 6000k from amazon and they were even easier to install than the slimcubby ones. I also purchased Noyka yellow fog lamp bulbs, the whole setup came out sick.

19. Knwilson

Knwilson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you please provide more info on what you purchased specifically? I was just on Amazon and found several Kensun HID packages and don't know what I need for my 2013 DBSB headlights and fogs...

Also, what is the difference between these and what Slim offers???

Thank you...

20. slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Wow is my kit really being compared to a cheap amazon kit? Sheesh! :(

To Top