1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by Gr8WhiteTaco, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2018 at 5:17 AM
    jgill21

jgill21 Not Technically Stock Anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    98 2.7 TRD PreRunner
    - - - - - - - - ->
    just in general. Trying to get as much traction as possible

2. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    (I know you know this) LBL and Moab are very far opposites from each other. The "problem" with trail riding down here is usually the ruts. Its gonna be a random underground rock or tree root that hits the sidewall just right to debead the tire. When I had my non beadlock setup, I debeaded probably once every other trip and every time it was in a spot in ruts where you kinda said "what tha fuck happened?". I never debeaded in the rocks though. So not debeading at Moab makes perfect sense. We always talk about driver mod. This is a good example of that. Knowing when to air down low and when 20 will be just fine. Once again, just try it and find out and hopefully retain that knowledge for next time.

beertimecontinuum likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:29 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Yeah no doubt. I used to have some on my 94 yota when I was young and dumb and no one to tell me any better and would air down to single digits (don't remember exact numbers) just to see what would happen. Never lost a bead though. Not until I bought some cast "fancy" wheels and then learned why i couldn't do that anymore. Haha

Dave41079 and beertimecontinuum like this.
  4. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:39 AM
    allmotorrex

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    $1000? Are you sure? I think my wheels were $320 for 4 then the beadlock rings and hardware was like $300. Then it's as simple as welding the rings on to the wheel and you got a beadlock wheel. My wheels are Black Rock. I run a 1/4" spacer up front to clear the calipers. No other mod was needed.

5. Sep 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    I am not sure lol. Also I made 5 of them here.

6. Sep 26, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Yup the ruts get you, also sliding down slick hills and hitting the tire into something and side loading it. The 2 times I've blown a bead was this way.

7. Sep 26, 2018 at 7:18 PM
    KRAMERICA

KRAMERICA Old Man Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Middle Tenn
    Vehicle:
    '12 Black DC TRD-OR
    3" Lift w/ICON 2.5 Coils, ALCAN LP W/Sumo springs & FOX 2.0, CBI MOAB 2.0 Front Bumper w/Smittybilt X2O winch, CBI Rock Sliders, Mobtown Reinforced Steel Skids & Bed Bars, FabFour rear bumper, on 315 STT PRO's, + some Iggy lighting
    There is a semi-scientific way to determine the best PSI for your vehicle. Using Chalk and a sheet of cardboard, cover a section of the tread with the chalk then drive over the cardboard. Check the tire print left on the cardboard, at full pressure the edges should leave less of a print than the middle. Air down a little bit at a time until the print of the tire is a complete even print side to side. That will establish the upper PSI limit to get full traction from the tread of the tire. Continue airing down and checking until the middle of the print starts to fade. That will establish your lower PSI limit to get full traction from the tread of the tire. To be completely correct you need to do that for each tire. Somewhere between the upper and lower limit, depending on the terrain (sand, mud, rocks, etc) is where you want to have your tires. Now to do all that is a painstaking pain the ass, and I don't know anyone who has actually done it. Though somewhere in my military training, there must have been a whole chapter on this subject for me to be able to recall this sooo many years later! :hattip:

8. Sep 27, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    Knoxdavid34

Knoxdavid34 Stranger with candy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4x4
    TRD Off Road sticker. Not the whole package, just the sticker.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2005-pre-runner-to-4x4-conversion.188158/

11TRDTX likes this.
  9. Sep 27, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    Knoxdavid34

Knoxdavid34 Stranger with candy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 4x4
    TRD Off Road sticker. Not the whole package, just the sticker.
    Koo
    Looks good. You making me one next lol.

Dave41079 and ThunderOne[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Sep 27, 2018 at 5:46 AM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    Level 8 brand?

11. Sep 27, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    tacotim448

tacotim448 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2011 Money Pit
    It never efffing ends.....
    MB — it’s their house brand. If you plan to wheel your rig, avoid at all cost.

11TRDTX likes this.
  12. Sep 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM
    423 TACO

423 TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Knox-ish, TN
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM Sport 6sp AC
    Ah, just double checking. I have level 8 wheels, bought them from discount but couldn't remember if they were a house brand. Haven't been aired down since I got them either though.

13. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    Thinking about "upgrading" my two man tent to a four man tent... reason being I don't have a lot of room to move around in the 2 man tent. I basically have a tarp version of a coffin. Anyone rocking the ozark trail variety? Or anything else I can get at wally world?

I am starting to realize that the capacity for tents is overstated as much as gun safe capacity! Looking at a four person tent that only has 2 sleeping bags in it :confused: do the other two people sleep like spider man?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  14. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    Dave41079

Dave41079 Words go here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave...
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    The shittiest of boxes
    Things, stuff, and whatnot.
    With tent ratings I've found that subtracting one is okay, and subtracting two is comfortable. I have a three person Alps Mountaineering Zephyr that's nice for 1-2 people, doesn't break the bank, and is still light enough for backpacking. I can shoehorn a queen size mattress in it.

15. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:21 PM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    I sleep in this tent on a 9" thick queen air mattress with my lady and 2 medium dogs and a couple clothing bags. Was fine when it was just Polly and 2 humans, now, Draco is getting much larger.

Need to expand and put the pooches on the ground. Needy/spoiled lil fuckers! :annoyed:

16. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM
    rngr

rngr Aix sponsa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4x4 2.7L
    Pole to pole or hole to hole, but never pole to hole.

17. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    I'll have to check wally world for that one. Could have swore I saw that a couple months ago, was tempted to pick one up. Good rain resistance? Warm?

18. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    11TRDTX

11TRDTX bruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD TX 4x4 MGM DCSB
    Lift, 285's, mud, and scratches
    Check dicks sporting goods. The exclusively sell field and stream tents. I love mine. I have a pretty good amount of room for a 3 person tent, also it has the vestibule in the front to store gear/muddy boots.

dirty deeds likes this.
  19. Sep 27, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    ThunderOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    hmm.... maybe I'll take a look at Academy. Not a fan of dicks balls and bats

11TRDTX[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 27, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    Held up well in the rain so far, but this is my 2nd new one. Haven't had it for more than a year, yet. @MedlinAround's dog decided to make a doggy door INTO the side of it to come in and see me and Polly one night after everyone passed out at the Gorge. Both tents held fine in rain so far. I always waterproof once a year and just assume they come proofed from factory, hasn't always been the case in past tents, but these both had it. Better safe than sorry with a $50 tent.

Warmth, leaves a bit to be desired. 3 sides are almost entirely screen mesh, but the fly comes below them by about 3" or better. Used a Mr. Buddy heater at Harlan last year and VERY glad I had it. Perfect 3-season tent, not so much for winter camping. Will see what dropping a real tarp over the tent does for warmth on the next trip if needed.

A good sleep system is paramount over the tent imo. I've built shelters for true 'roughing it' in the BSA out of pine bows and moss for a roof, needles and leaves for ground padding, self-inflating backpack mat and a nice sleeping bag. Tired of that shit, though.

KRAMERICA and ThunderOne[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top